• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Graphics Cards.

I just wrote out a very informative guide for your upgrade purchase and i was quite proud of it. Then i looked at your set up again and noticed the clock frequency of your Athlon.

I should have picked this up straight away instead of assuming it was a Athlon 64 chip, but the only Athlon that runs at that clock frequency is the old Athlon XP 3000+ (Barton core).

So i kick myself. Anyway mate that system is getting pretty old. If you wanna play Crysis then you can forget it as it does not meet the minimum spec. Save what money you have and put it towards and new Intel core 2 based system with an Nvidia 8800 series video card. The Radeon is underwhelming and power hungry, shame as i loved ATI cards :(

PS - If you want to know the workings of your system - download CPUZ

Upvote 0
Well you can not buy a X1900XTX in AGP form which is what your motherboard is.

You have an Athlon XP 3000+
Athlon XP 3000+ uses a Socket A motherboard
Socket A is AGP only

This leaves you with about two modern solutions of video cards worth bothering with that use AGP. A Geforce 7600GT or a Radeon X1950Pro. But your CPU will not cut Crysis, and if you try it will bottleneck your new video card severely, so its pointless buying a new card to pair with it. The sensible thing to do is put your cash towards a new system.

Crysis taxes the fastest of hardware, Sure the game will run on most recent video cards maxed, but not smoothly. Unless your perception of 20FPS is 'smooth'. It is scalable, so you can tweak the settings to get the best results. The full version of the game should offer better optimisation too - further adding performance. Basically my point is; the game really pushes the latest and greatest, so you can forget a good time with older hardware.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
youve got roughly the same setup as me, and your 'slot' for graphics card is agp which is old and limits your choices.(and capability)
Ive got a 6800gt which is as good as it's worth getting for this system really, as it's a processor upgrade that you may want to look at = whole new system basically.
I wouldn't get crysis, farcry 2 , arma or bioshock with these specs- they would look nothing like as good as intended , and indeed farcry2 and crysis for example probably wont run properly at all.

edit - oh i see and agree dcode^

Upvote 0
You should look for:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo (or quad) with a clock frequency of at least 2.4GHz.

Motherboard: Gigabyte, Abit, Intel, MSI or ASUS. With an Intel P35, X38 or Nvidia Nforce 650i, 680i chipset. Personally i like Intel motherboards, but if you buy from a respectable manufacturer they will include a decent motherboard.

RAM: At least 2GB of DDR2 800.

Video: The GeForce 8800GT is very good value, it equals the high end GTX and costs around

Last edited:
Upvote 0