• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Unreal Tournament 3 Demo

Excellent screenshots JoshuaC....

This demo reminded me why I joined RO only after it became Ostfront. I saw people raving about RO mod but just couldn't force myself to buy a game as utterly stupid as UT just to play the mod!

UT gameplay is the apogee of MP FPS stupidity, pointlessness and emptyness. I am gamer to the core, and I rarely consider time spent gaming as wasted, but every once in a while a game comes that makes me think "wow I just wasted X minutes of my life playing something as pointless as this?".

UT is one of those games.

Other than that - WOW!!! Epic is, and always will be Kings of engine optimization, Tzars of network code, and Grandmasters of 3D gaming engines. All other companies and engines are n00bs compared to them. Game is a beauty, and runs like charm.

Too bad the core gameplay remains as stupid as every UT before this (as I expected after all).

Upvote 0
Original UT was fantastic. Great action, great AI, great online, great maps and environments, just great. I'm not a huge fan of how chunky things started getting in UT2k3, the core of the gamplay was still there, but it didn't "have it" like UT.
UT2k4 was a lot of fun, the onslaught maps are great, more of a return to form.
UT3 is chunkier, and feels more like UT than 2k3 did. But it's more of the same really. Don't expect miracles.

Upvote 0
Then you explain to me the Zen of UT as you see it.

I am not being ironic or flame-y, really not, I'd really love to see your arguments...

UT is just a fast-paced multiplayer FPS, nothing more, nothing less... it's that fast-paced action that triples your heart rate if you're on a killing spree. Constantly on the move, dodging rockets, making headshots, the announcer voice that rewards you for good play ("HEADSHOT!!! M-M-M-MONSTER KILL!!!!"), that's what makes this game good in a very arcade way. At least that's how the original UT was for me.

Murphy is right, you totally missed the point.:p

I loved UT '99, that was my first experience with multiplayer. I didn't really like UT2k4, especially the Onslaught maps. Vehicles don't belong in an UT game imo. I'll try the demo of this one...

Upvote 0
Original UT was fantastic. Great action, great AI, great online, great maps and environments, just great.

I agree that the original UT was fantastic..... FOR ITS TIME!!

However, MP FPS games have advanced in gameplay terms since then. I am sure I don't have to list dozens of examples here..... hell, even Quake, the etalon for mindless shooters, is trying to give players some "higher meaning" and something else to do beside run around as hamsters on crystal meth and killing, in its last MP incarnation (ETQW).

UT is technically fantastic, but the gameplay remains 1997 MP vintage, which I find ridicolous and downright insulting.

But hey, I am aware that I am minotiry, I am sure this will sell like hot cakes. In a way, I am glad for that. I think Epic guys deserve the money and glory, not for the UT itself, but for the fantastic engine they make, and all the great titles we see, and will see, based on their engine.

Upvote 0
I've really enjoyed the demo, the game is optimized superbly. I can play it at 1440x900, all details on max, and receive a constant 60 fps on 2.4 quad proccessor, 2 gig of ram and a 8500gt.

The weapons are more of the same, I hope the full game features some new ones, it's kinda boring playing with the same exact weapons since ut2k3. Also, the weapons kill effects just dont pack the same punch as before. For instance, I cannot for the life of my blow off a leg, or an arm like I could in previous UT's. And while probably a little more "realistic" (if such a word can be used to describe UT,) the ragdolls just seem to drop if killed by anything not explosive. Some of the unique death sequences are cool too; A plasma stream will turn a body into a skeleton, miniguns make bodies dance, minigun alternate fire sticks bodies to walls, bio gun dissolves bodies, and the alt fire on the shock rifle makes a black hole to throw bodies around.

I was dissapointed with only one player model and the sniper rifle headshot animation. Gears of War spoiled me on this one. In UT3, the head simply dissapears and this huge chunk of meat, about 1.5 times bigger than the actual head comes popping off. Compared to GoW where the head literally exploded.

needless to say, I'll definitely pick this one up. By the way, which map is the Darkwalker on? The darkwalker is the war of the worlds type vehicle right?

Oh yeah, why doesnt the scorpions alt fire chop heads off anymore, and does anyone else want the ripper to return?

Upvote 0
Then you explain to me the Zen of UT as you see it.

I am not being ironic or flame-y, really not, I'd really love to see your arguments...
I can't comment on UnrealTournament 3 since I haven't tried the demo (yet) but I can just say in reference to to previous ones. The main thing that makes it so good is that it has always been a game of skill. It's a truely competitive game meaning the person who is better with their chosen weapon will be the victor. There's no "noob padding" in Unreal to attempt to give everybody equal chances like other FPS's. If you suck in Unreal then you suck and there's no way around that except alot of practice to get good. Also of course is the gameplay style, the word tournament is there for a reason. It's similar to competitive sports IRL except in unreal you have weapons/vehicles to kill your way to victory, hehe. So like I said it's a game of skill which is why it's such a success.

Upvote 0
Quietus is right. Skill.

The balancing between the weapons is close to perfect and they are still completely different. As they are completely different, there is a lot of complexity to the fights. Its not like everyone would be just running around, gunning down people with a mini-gun. THAT would be boring and THAT's what gameplay has evolved from in the past few years.
Fights that arise in UT2004 aren't just mindless shooting orgies, but they are dances between different weapons - poetically speaking.
Flak vs. Link
Biorifle vs. Roket Launcher
Sniper vs. Minigun
Its not only important which weapon you have equipped, but also which one is pointed at you. Its also important to know which weapons you have in your inventory. Can you fight your way towards the enemy to be able to mow him down with Linkgun fire from close range, or do you have to expect him to have a Flak?

Then, if you take out all the fighting (!) there is still skill involved in the game. A skill called "map-control". Who gets the shield pick-ups once they spawn, who is the one to get the U-damage, and who controls the redeemer? Even if you are were experienced enough to understand the fighting part, someone whith better map-control could still kill you easily, because 100 shield are still 100 shield.:D

If you just start playing UT you might think that everything is the same explosive, unrealistic and colorfull junk-weapon. You run around without knowing how the game really works and all it is for you is a mindless romp.

Remember the days when you first played OFP (I assume you have)?
You ran around, wondering why you die out of nowhere. You cursed the AI for hitting you from such long distances. You thought the game was a game of luck, whether the AI targets you or not, because if they do, you are pretty much screwed.
Then you played it for a week or so and everything started to make more and more sense. Now you know that OFP is a game of the mind.

Its the same with UT2004.

Another good example are fighting games (the good ones). You start playing and all they are to you are mindless button-mashers. Any depth they might have is completely beyond you. Then you play for a few hours against someone who knows what he is doing and the games start to make more sense to you.

UT, UT200X and UT3 are unrealistic, arcadey and fast-paced. But they are games of pure skill and not half as mindless as some so-called tactical shooters, where the only "tactic" you really need is to go into rooms slowly and sideways...

If you simply dismiss them for being unrealistic, you are not doing them any justice, and you might miss some excellent games that might actually appeal to you, once you get to know them better.

Upvote 0
installed it

1st run: it crashes my whole system... reboot
2nd run: it hangs up on register... reboot
3rd run: it let's me register but crashes to desktop when i start a botmatch.. with three error messages

installing latest drivers

4th run: it crashes after the logo videos with the same three error messages.

uninstalling demo, definetly not going to get, stupid Epic games and their crappy engine.

Upvote 0
installed it

1st run: it crashes my whole system... reboot
2nd run: it hangs up on register... reboot
3rd run: it let's me register but crashes to desktop when i start a botmatch.. with three error messages

installing latest drivers

4th run: it crashes after the logo videos with the same three error messages.

uninstalling demo, definetly not going to get, stupid Epic games and their crappy engine.

Stupid kraut getting mad at a BETA demo.

Upvote 0
Stupid kraut getting mad at a BETA demo.
Stupid xandir commenting on every post i make... must be some kind of stalker.

It's the UE3 engine and my Nvidia, they don't get along. I got the same random crashes with the Bioshock demo. It didn't get fixed until now and i kind of get the feeling it never will. Strangely the MOHA demo worked fine.

Upvote 0
Stupid xandir commenting on every post i make... must be some kind of stalker.

It's the UE3 engine and my Nvidia, they don't get along. I got the same random crashes with the Bioshock demo. It didn't get fixed until now and i kind of get the feeling it never will. Strangely the MOHA demo worked fine.

Yes, I'm teh st4lk0rz. I lurk on the forums all the time and wait for prey.

Upvote 0