• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hey folks, just wondering what new game should i buy/get...?

Changing the subject to all stalker, eh? ;) :p

Well, I'll consider IL2. Joint ops is on my list. Is there any others or should this wrap up? ;)

Vietcong (try and get origional and fist alpha add-on in one pack if you can)
No vehicles but its the biz- awsome collection of weapons with great feel, and the best sound fx ive ever heard. Great single player with still a decent scene online (but dev support ended long ago)- primarily Co-Op nowadays (at which it excels).
It's quite big in Aus, too.

the way i see it-
You've got RO, vietcong and Ravensheild to cover 3 eras in a 'realistic' (ie. position yourself for shooting) kinda way.
Then if you want a action comic book version of each you look at COD1+UO, BVF and either BF2 or Joint ops. I can't deny BF2 is quality, but joint ops despite not being technically as good was still a great laugh i thought. it's also less pissing around with patches, not such a mamouth install and you don't need the CD.

Upvote 0
I fell in love with Vietcong many years ago and I am amazed at how this game did some things back then that modern games still can't do now.

One other thing that need to be stressed is that Vietcong is primarily an incredible Singleplayer - not so much multiplayer, except for Co-op but you got to find the right people for that - game with a real storyline and immersion and it can keep you busy for weeks if you play it right (hardest difficulty).

Some missions were so hard, you had a real relief feeling when you came to your Nui-Pek base.

If you get it and give it a chance and attention like it deserves, you won't be disappointed to have spent money on it but again remember, it's not so much for multi but for a great SP experience you'll be embarking.

Upvote 0
not so much multiplayer, except for Co-op but you got to find the right people for that ..

CTF used to be excellent. It might take 20mins to sneak back with the flag sometimes- making it a little different to COD ctf and others.
Lack of dev support and there for it's anticheat means is a great shame but as said you still have co-op where cheating isnt really an issue ( surely?)
In my neck of the woods you have 6th sense open servers, and if it goes well you can get verified to play on some of their others. These are very well organised and played in a way to maximise atmosphere and team work. For example they sometimes play games where you can't type in chat, you have to communicate using the voip which is 3d positional, so you have to remain in earshot of your team, or use messengers to relay info between fireteams-nice.

On the other side of the world AUSCONG should have links and info on well run co-op servers and many custom maps.
Just complete the single player game first, as not to spoil the maps/weapons. When you then play online it's great to encounter the faces and voices of your team again, cos you get close to them in the 1 player.

Upvote 0
Alright, i suppose i could retry Vietcong, its only $10 :D

SO, how about Blitzkrieg1+expansions or even Blitzkrieg2...how about CoH? Rise of nations even???
Sudden Series is a lot better than blitzkrieg,and the third in the series is expected in November.;)
Yu can check out the wholes series here www.suddenstrike.com

Upvote 0
yeah, I've heard of sudden Strike-isnt that basically tanks?
Nah mate its a ww2 rts series, includes everything ;),look for the third in the series this november,although 1 and2 and resource wars of the series are worth a look and would be dirt cheap now,I never liked Blitzrieg series,too arcadey but ss series or/+mods were great,not sure how either of those games is online these days been a while since I checked(number wise I mean)both had gamespy suppory not so sure its still active though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Alright then. ok, now I know what games I might get in the future but is there any games that feature omaha beach, I like the 1944 era and Normandy is my fav and most historic I know. I know about CoH but I own MOHAA and medal of honor front line on the console so is there any fps or rts games that feature Omaha beach? I also like trench warfare and bits of the pacific theatre.

Upvote 0
If you buy IL-2 Sturmovik Collection, you need to buy a joystick to fly.

You said you have BF1942; make sure to get the Forgotten Hope Mod (modification), and I also suggest the following mods although only a handful of people play them: BF1918 (a WWI mod; it's better than average (I rate it 5/10, though it would be better if more people were playing), and is probably only one of the few WWI games available (we only had 4 people playing a few weeks ago (I've seen as many as 8 a few times), and definitely Finn Wars Mod(a strong must) which will add the Winter and Continuation Wars to BF1942, usually about 8-10 people are playing on a Saturday morning in the U.S.

Best of all, the Mods are free over the internet. But it is too bad that only a handful of people play Finn Wars and less so BF1918.

Forgotten Hope has, in general, a strong following, and you can usually find a 64 server filled almost completely at any time.

Most of the people who play BF1918 and Finn Wars are from Europe, so remember that 6 hours difference if you're from the U.S.

Upvote 0
Yet, no one plays the original and first and best...for a 2001 game, its quite good to me.
Engine was improved by oleg and everyone moved on to IL2 forgotten Battles series which is even more realistic than the orginal(damage models etc),and the only one played online now ala 1946 now (DvD version) or version v.4.08m if you update by each patch and addon.

Upvote 0