• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Don't shoot, I'm just a tourist!

Phil Martin

Aug 6, 2007
I must admit that this was probably never the intention of the designers, but I enjoy logging onto empty servers and just looking at the incredible jobs done by the mapmakers and the modders. I especially like searching the building interiors just to see the unique details that are so often added; a butchered hog in the kitchen, a cluttered desk in an office, and every so often a tinny, scratchy tune being played by a radio or phonograph.

Hochburg is easily my favorite in this regard. Everything is just so loaded with detail, it's a shame to ignore it long enough to shoot at the enemy. I half expect that if I press "Use" in the cathedral, my player would kneel and genuflect (well, maybe not the Russians). And the tombstones! You have to read the headstone markers for yourself.

Okay, so you're probably thinking by now that I'm a dork; I don't care. The guy who put rows-upon-rows of V-1 rockets inside the undistinguished-looking warehouse on the Vbase map didn't have to, but after my jaw dropped upon first seeing them I'm so glad he did. My sincere thanks to all those mappers and modders who put so much time into this game: It wouldn't be the same without you.

A lot of custom maps as of late seem to be lacking in that kind of detail, or maybe it's just me. I know Dubrava and just about anything that Drecks has gotten his hands on has a lot of detail in it. Most other maps, not so, and that's why when I go in to tourist mode it is usually to observe how bad some maps are put together.

Upvote 0
The guy who put rows-upon-rows of V-1 rockets inside the undistinguished-looking warehouse on the Vbase map didn't have to, but after my jaw dropped upon first seeing them I'm so glad he did. My sincere thanks to all those mappers and modders who put so much time into this game: It wouldn't be the same without you.

It's the guys like you that we have done it for :]

Plus I think most of the mappers realize that authentic look means it had stuff.. lots and lots of stuff.. it's everywhere.. an empty room would look artificial. If you ever stop and look around you in the average home, there is a TON of STUFF.. and games are just past the point where we can actually start including all that stuff..

Upvote 0