• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Enemy Territory: Quake Wars - demo release today :)

Downloading the demo (23% now) just for the hell of it because I'm very bored (yes guys danzig is fun, how about playing another map someday? No you say? Ok.....). RO servers are mostly Danzig or one of the multitude of low effort (made in a day) custom maps that people flock to. Can't take it, I need a change. This looks like some semi mindless fun/chaos. I'll give it a try just for kicks.

Upvote 0
The demo seriously needed to have a full 3-map campaign though...I mean what if the rest of the maps are terrible? :p

Granted, a lot of people would ONLY play the demo (*eyes BF2 demo community*), but as is I'm prolly not gonna buy this (mostly due to money + too many games out).
I only played one map in the demo so far, is that all there is? Could've sworn there were a couple of maps in the second beta.

Upvote 0
Oleg: That's exactly what happened to me. The first time I played it I complained (as I do) quite loudly in chat about the weapons, etc. After that though I started actually learning what the classes could do and once I discovered the deployables my opinion totally changed. I usually play as Constructor/Engineer or Oppressor/Field Ops so I can play with turrets and arty. Failing that, I grab a sniper weapon and hide on a hilltop somewhere like a little girl. I make life hard for people at the objectives though, so it's worth it.

It really is a fun game, but as I said earlier, I doubt I'll buy it. I would though if it weren't for TF2 and UT3 hitting all at the same time. Not to mention Fortress Forever being released the other day. I'm so spoiled for choice I don't know what to do with myself.

Upvote 0
Demo is fun, it's like an enhanced "onslaught" from unreal2004. Runs terrible on my PC though even with everything turned down. It's not for me though. I'm not really in to the hyper fast paced gameplay anymore. I don't like how everything take basically one shot from something semi powerful and it's toast. Armored vehicles, aircraft, it's all *launch/BOOM/NEXT*. Vehicles & aircraft are way too fragile IMO. What's with that strogg walker? Sure looks fearsome then you get in it and some infantry launches a hand held rocket and the thing is toast.

You can destroy tanks just by emptying your sidearm into it. Uhh but yeah obviously this is just a fun game with no realism in mind but I think if they treated the game a little more serious and made things more realistically durable that would increase the tactics & fun and it wouldn't just be a total mindless cluster**** of ordinance flying around the map from start to finish. I think it's too fast paced for it's own good.

Upvote 0
There we go.. someone pulled the realism card.
Indeed. The gameplay is fun but utterly ridiculous due to lacking even some core basic realism. I'm not talking about making it a "realistic" game, I'm talking about making things behave more real as if you were to extrapolate what such non-existant equipment would behave like. For instance I'm in the strogg walker firing huge decimating plasma rounds, I see a swarm of enemy infantry (about 4 or 5) all tightly packed together.

So I fire dead center and hit with the expected catastrophically large explosion engulfing the entire group (and then some). Nobody dies because I didn't hit dead center on anyone. Explosion damage isn't modeled good (if at all). They behave more like bullets with the explosions shown just for "effect" instead of representing the actual damage are. So all those guys survived a direct hit which in reality (well sci-fi reality) would've turned them into blood mist.

So yeah that kind of "unrealism" I find kind of stupid since it doesn't lead to "better gameplay" or "more fun" it's just merely stupid for the sake of stupidity. why bother having some behemoth badass thing in the game if you're just going to cut it's nuts off? It's pointless IMO. IF they are afraid of something "overpowered" how about don't even bother adding it in the first place?

I'm just tired of stupid game design. The only thing that most game co's seem to put total effort into is the graphics. Everything else is like "ah whatever, SOS. Can every gun kill something? Answer=*Yes, Xplody Tyme!* just ship it"

If the game is just intended for sheer mindless bang bang fun well it succeeds extremely well in that department but that's not anything new or innovative or groundbreaking or interesting to me. It's just the SOS. At least in Unreal they had the decency to make things appropriately deadly and not have you running around in NERF world. Also no gibs or gore either! What's that about? I guess they don't want to traumatize the kids.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I for one am very thankful that vehicles aren't the one and all in this game. It is what ruins the battlefield series for me. From my experience with the demo it is also VERY unlikely that you will be alive long enough to kill e.g. the Abrams-lookalike-tank with your strogg assault-rifle-thingy. I tried and failed a few times. In other words: balancing is fine.

And Unreal assault or onslaught modes suck in comparison to this game. Gameplay-wise it's much more thought through. To say they put all there effort into shiny graphics is just plain wrong imo. They put all their effort into making a very fun, fast-paced multiplayer game. No it isn't groundbreaking. Now which games in the past two to three years were groundbreaking again? You play only those, then I'm sorry for you , because you're missing a lot of fun.

That we are even debating realism in a game that is about cyborg-zombie-aliens invading earth just shows how absurd this community has become.

Upvote 0
Quietus,

There's a tremendous amount of splash damage in this game. The group that you hit was probably down to 1/4 health, but anyways the walker fires plasma rounds not HE shells. The weak vehicle syndrome can be addressed by hitting v, then 9, which creates a repair mission for an engineer. I find 7 times out of 10 this gets me back up to full strength within seconds.

What at first glance looks like mindless explosions and fighting is actually rocket infantry trying to take down an artillery interceptor turret, so that the field ops located up high on a mountain out of your view can begin landing SSMs into the objective area, to clear a path for covert ops to advance and begin hacking the shield generator.

The graphics are ok, but it's really gameplay that's king here.

As far as weak guns go, give the hyperblaster a (literal) spin. One time leaning around a corner I locked down the GDF forward tunnel spawn for at least three or four minutes. The secret is never letting the HB spin down by tapping the fire key. I must have killed 12-15 GDF. It was tragic and horrible. I felt sorry for them. Finally after running out of ammo I got naded from behind.

The only other time I've killed that many human players in a row is as Russian MG gunner on Basovka, but that was up in the 25-30 range.

After RO and Stalker, hitscan weapons in games generally piss me off, but considering the tongue in cheek realism of QW I can let it slide here.

Reading about some of the maps like Ark and Slipgate I can't wait to buy the full game.

Upvote 0
That we are even debating realism in a game that is about cyborg-zombie-aliens invading earth just shows how absurd this community has become.
The game has no flaws, it's perfect. Small arms can blow up aircraft/tanks and humans can survive being engulfed in a 60ft diameter ball of hellfire and keep on running. I like the way Id solves the "balance" issue. It's very well done and elegant.

Upvote 0
Just played another match. Turns out not only armored vehicles & aircraft can be destroyed by small arms but also the Strogg walker (Goliath) can also be destroyed by an assault rifle. Nothing is more enthralling or makes a game more exciting than having your skilled rampage ruined by some guy running up behind you with a piddly assault rifle and firing 8 shots into a multi ton armored monstrosity and turning it into a pile of flaming scraps. Yeah.........WHAT?

Upvote 0
The GDF small arms fire depleted uranium rounds at 3000 m/s with an ingenious muzzle brake and hydraulic recoil absorber system.

OK I made that up, but believe it if it makes you feel better.

Jokes aside, you need to call for repairs and stand off a bit with the walker to stay in the fight.
KrazyKraut thinks I'm absurd? Well it's actually the game "balance" that's absurd. Developers need to stop smoking KrackAToeUh when they shovel out their "balancing" schemes. In fact maybe actually put some real thought into it instead of "everything can kill everything" with the only variable being how quickly can you do it depending on the weapon.

There should be actual tactics involved like hey... a soldier comes up against a tank, well guess what he's going to need something better than what he's got to take care of it. Tactics as of now are nearly total BS. Infantry rule the battleground rather than the other way around. The game has potential if some changes were made (not going to happen). So....once again mediocrity is given a free pass.

Upvote 0
You're freaking crazy if you think a lone soldier is going to take down a tank or walker under any kind of circumstance. Even if he has a rocket launcher. Yes in this game 3 soldiers with MGs have a chance against a tank that's at 1/4 health, especially if no one is manning the coxial. But even then not really because of the ease with which tanks can displace to a better firing position.

Tanks and walkers can reach out and hit from extreme distances. Walker rounds don't appear to arc like tank rounds, but have less splash damage. Soldiers cannot (except for rocket infantry, who's primary task should be a) taking down enemy AIT b) enemy armor). Stand off ! Ask for repairs ! You'll stay in the fight and gain massive battlesense (which is roughly based on your kill/death ratio) points.

Upvote 0
Why can't the GDF get walkers too ?, maybe they should get something like one of those Gundams -

PLHelldiver.gif

Upvote 0