• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Steam doesn't start up

Obr.Lt.Scheisskopf

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2006
When I click the steam desktop shortcut, the Steam program file in the program folder or the Red Orchestra desktop shortcut it will not start. It will stutter and but not actually start up. The Red Orchestra program in the system folder will start Red Orchestra but only after a few attempts to open it. It will not have a internet connection, it says I need to be running steam as well. Steam won't show up in the task manager or the tool bar. What do I do?

This happens to me now and then as well. When you say that Steam doesn't show up in the task manager, have you checked under Processes or just Applications?

When Steam seems to be locked up but doesn't show in Applications, I click over to the processes tab and sort by image name and look for Steam.exe. Select Steam.exe and click the 'End Process' button.

After I do that, I can run RO and Steam will (99.999999% of the time) start up normally.

Upvote 0
Okay, I did that, it did show up on the processes tab and I ended, it and started it up again, but it also started Red Orchestra, but both again failed to start up completely. Now when I try to start up steam it will show up on the processes tab, but it won't do anything, I tried to end it and start it again but I'm back at square one. When Steam did come up for the short time it did, it said it was updating, even though it never finished. Red Orc only showed the startup screen, which froze.

Upvote 0
The update box will come up, it will update, create another client registry blob file but won't start up. The problem with reinstalling Steam is that I'd have to reinstall Red Orchestra with it.

Well now.

There's two ways to look at this one.

1. Oh noes, if I reinstall Steam, then I'll also have to reinstall Red Orchestra, and that will take an hour or two to download. I don't want to spend an hour or two to download it, so let me screw around with Steam for a few more days. I think I can fix it.

or

2. Oh noes, I've already been screwing with Steam for a day or so, and I'm sick of it. Maybe if I reinstall Steam and give it an hour or two to reinstall Red Orchestra, I won't screw around with it for a few more days.

I guess it all depends on your priorities. :p

(Of course, there's still no guarantee that Steam will work correctly after re-installing, though it is more likely to work correctly when it's installed with all the patches than if it has to do the patching from a (possibly) nerfed install.)

Upvote 0
I tried to reinstall Steam, but after I try to start it up, it does the same thing as if I didn't do anything. The update box comes up, the login screen/Steam main screen doesn't. The only thing that's different now is that the Red Orchestra autorun screen says 'Install Red Orchestra' but if I click it, it doesn't doesn't do anything.

It's not a router/firewall, it's on my exception list. Also, something weird: the steam log file says for each time I try to enter Steam it was told to exit right after it was told to start up. It also sometimes says it couldn't find a connection, but it has dates listed when it did work, so I don't know. How strange.

Upvote 0