• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Official Free Weekend Rant Thread

I don't so much mind playing with or against people who are new to RO; my main gripe is against all the senseless teamkilling that goes on during Free Week.

If you're going to play a team-based game, PLAY A TEAM-BASED GAME and come on in for the big win AS A TEAM. Certainly if the object of RO was geared towards individual performance *as an individual* I'd say go for it, but it's simply not that kind of game. For either side to have a chance to win decently it has to work as a team, plain and simple. Anything less is simple blind luck as to what side wins.

I think it's somewhat unfair to summarily lump *all* CoD players into an irredeemable *nOOb* category, as there are some who actually play CoD like the majority of us play RO. However, as in all games, it only takes a few glaring examples of idiocy to completely overshadow the good and mature players.

I wonder though: WHY is there so much teamkilling, especially during Free Week? Is it that the learning curve is really that tough to master and in order for them to get any enjoyment out of their free time they have to kill their own teammates as opposed to actually having to THINK for achange and face the enemy? What can be done to reduce these incidents of teamkilling? What drives them to it? While I don't want to seem patronizing, is there not some way of 'vetting' them in a dedicated series of Free Week servers? I know it sounds like an impossible task- perhaps it is- but something has got to be done or we'll have all of our potential new players driven away by this nonsense.

Upvote 0
Oh, there were the expected immobile Danzig Russian "statue" players who block the boat landing and access to the stairs; there was some offensive language coming from one or two of the players that, in my opinion, don't belong in game play and don't exhibit good "sportsmanship," but I also expected this when there are many people playing; ditto some same team spawn killing.

I didn't spend a long time playing this weekend; but when I did play, overall it wasn't that bad.

Probably the worse was the First Free Weekend when there were these two "Beavis and Butthead" jokers VOIPing and talking like two jackasses and using really some of the most offensive racial slurs in the English language; so I guess that made them "Big Men"; as soon as the game was over, I disconnected and went to a different server. I not obligated to listen to and play with two Bozos (that's a circus clown).

Upvote 0
I wonder though: WHY is there so much teamkilling, especially during Free Week? Is it that the learning curve is really that tough to master and in order for them to get any enjoyment out of their free time they have to kill their own teammates as opposed to actually having to THINK for achange and face the enemy? What can be done to reduce these incidents of teamkilling? What drives them to it? While I don't want to seem patronizing, is there not some way of 'vetting' them in a dedicated series of Free Week servers? I know it sounds like an impossible task- perhaps it is- but something has got to be done or we'll have all of our potential new players driven away by this nonsense.

As far as I can recall my first RO hours I think recognizing your own team is quiet hard. I had several TKs back in those days at the bottom of the steep learning curve :D .
In most other games your own team is easily differable from your enemy so that might be the biggest problem.
So prolly giving the Trial Client some new skins with small red/blue badges woud help?
Not too huge but so that you can spot them at least at close range. Same for the tanks. Intended TKs can't be avoided that way but at least the learning curve aint that steep for the trial tester.
The question is, is it possible to differ retail from trial version or would it even lead to any exploits in the retail version? Or is it worthwhile doing it?
Well it could deter hardcore realism fans if they ain't told about it and the new players sooner or later would have to learn it the hard way anyways.

Upvote 0
i think many TKs for the.. power rush.. you know they are in power of your fun.. shooting you makes your funtime sadtime..
it's a big power over you. and thats why.. if they cant feel the power over the opposite team they want it somehow and kills you instead.. and get the rush.. that my friend.. is an adrenaline junkie.
dont yell at em.. send em to rehab!:)

anyway.. great weekend.. alot of players and actully.. if you play in the right server with an admin on.. or with a couple of friends it doesnt mater.. they are still much more fun the bots to kill:)
but it sure sucks when the sniper is taken by an looser that cant aim..
or an Semi or why not the MG or smgs?

i still give respect to all the n00bs as long they dont TK me.. or teamhurt me! that really pisses me off.. or like when a guy just before he gets off makes a TK or teamhurt.. just for the kick off it..

Upvote 0
. Tanking in general was basically impossible for most of the trial, since you'd get drivers saying "this is my tank, get out" and refusing to drive.

Truth be told, quite a few people are doing this outside of trial periods (and, yes, it is annoying. "There are not other tanks in spawn, idiot. Now drive, *****! :mad:" But most of the time, they'll just drive in circles in the spawn till another tank spawns, will hop out of yours and tanke the new one...)

Upvote 0
Everytime theres a free trial theres all this garbage from complainers about noobs. Nice way to attract people to a great community. Like any of you were born with a keyboard in your hands. How soon we forget. It's like saying, "hey I'm new can you help me out and be a little patient.(fast forward)God dam noobs I can do without"

It's people like these I can do without. Try helping instead of complaining for a change. You know, ya might actually feel better too.

Upvote 0
Everytime theres a free trial theres all this garbage from complainers about noobs. Nice way to attract people to a great community. Like any of you were born with a keyboard in your hands. How soon we forget. It's like saying, "hey I'm new can you help me out and be a little patient.(fast forward)God dam noobs I can do without"

It's people like these I can do without. Try helping instead of complaining for a change. You know, ya might actually feel better too.

There's a difference between people who are new, and people who are morons.

Upvote 0
As far as I can recall my first RO hours I think recognizing your own team is quiet hard. I had several TKs back in those days at the bottom of the steep learning curve :D .
In most other games your own team is easily differable from your enemy so that might be the biggest problem.

I would give this theory some credence if the TK's were taking place in a mixed-up melee situation- and I certainly admit I've waxed some team members on occasion on the various urban maps where the action is up close and personal and everybody's within grenade range.

HOWEVER...the TK'ing I'm referring to is that which takes place in spawn- REPEATEDLY in spawn. When you spawn into your home base, why on earth would you assume the guy who just spawned next to you is an enemy? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe I've seen a single cooperative spawn on ANY map! Not to mention, after killing off a few teammates don't you think it's rather obvious what you're doing when the kill notices rack up friendly kills over and over again?

And last but not least, I would hope that RO players- even shiny brand new ones- would have at least a minimum of knowledge about WW2 to even be interested in playing. When did German troops EVER go into combat wearing brown uniforms and CLOTH hats, with blanket rolls over their shoulders? When did Russian troops EVER go into combat in field-gray uniforms, and wearing stahlhelms? The list could go on forever, but I belive that illustrates my point entirely.

In a nutshell, and this is no surprise really, the vast majority of teamkills- even those during Free Week- are committed deliberately by players with no thought except to disrupt what is otherwise one of the finest games on the market. Ignorance of target identification is no excuse in my book- if you don't know the differences in the appearance between German and Russian troops and vehicles perhaps a few minutes of reading a book (imagine that!) or reviewing the info on this website is in order before you pick up a rifle or jump in a tank. And even if you're a color-blind moron, there is STILL no excuse for teamkills in spawn; you shouldn't be shooting at ANYTHING in spawn.

Upvote 0
Didn't have a problem at all, oh wiat, that's right, I was playing STALKER instead :lol:

Did pop on a little and it was fairly civilised down South. Most trial players were fairly agreable to any tips and commands called out.

Goto help them newbs, as it gives you more targets to choose from and more populated servers. Help them understand the complexity of working together as part of a team and show them how to cover team mates and call manouvers.

Not really hard and you don't have to be a clanner to get decent team work happening.

Upvote 0
So prolly giving the Trial Client some new skins with small red/blue badges woud help?
Not too huge but so that you can spot them at least at close range. Same for the tanks. Intended TKs can't be avoided that way but at least the learning curve aint that steep for the trial tester.
The question is, is it possible to differ retail from trial version or would it even lead to any exploits in the retail version? Or is it worthwhile doing it?
Well it could deter hardcore realism fans if they ain't told about it and the new players sooner or later would have to learn it the hard way anyways.

QFT. For the first couple hours of playing I had quite a hard time distinguishing friend from foe, (at long distances that is).

Also, nading is a real art that takes a while to learn, till you do, you'll TK a LOT!

Upvote 0
All you need to know to understand that, while it brings in players, the free weekends ruin the servers:

I've never seen a sniper keep their gun on a free weekend. EVERY sniper i've seen gets TK'ed unless they hide REALLY good. I was playing as the allies, and I don't usually play as a sniper, but i found a rifle, new i had to hide and did so, on Leningrad, top of the searchlight building, don't ask how i survived there, i don't know. Anyway, i scoped around, took some shots, spotted the enemy sniper, aimed on him, saw him get stabbed in the back, heard a rage and avenged him. I saw a lot of weapon steal TKs that last weekend, i see them every free trial. If it's someone on the other team, i kill them, if it's someone on my team i shoot them in the hand and take the weapon myself until the leave, then pick up my own again.

Also, tank stealing and hijacking is a big enough problem as it is, but the trial periods turn it into a problem of epidemic scale.

And artillery, ye gods how i hate it, BDJ is the worst for it, with a total of 10 people able to call down artillery, you will be obliterated so many times you'll cry.

I have one question though, what allied vehicle does the tiger look like? I mean, seriously? I wouldn't have minded so much, but it was done by someone within my unit during a training session >_>

Upvote 0