• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Operation Flashpoint 2 Teaser Trailer

As with most game trailers, I'm skeptical too. Doesn't change the fact that it makes me a lot more excited than the ArmA II screens! :D

Heck, if it looks as good as ArmA, which looks great in my opinion, then I'm happy. I just hope that both ArmA II and OFP will have solid netcode, because as it stands now even low-ping servers are laggy in ArmA.

Which game is going to be the true successor to OFP? ArmA, ArmA II, or OFP2? We probably won't know for two more years.

Anyway, it looks like 2008 will set out to be a good year for us gamers.

Upvote 0
Courtesy of the OFP boards:

Email from Codemasters Rep said:
It's rendered in-game assets - the game is still around a year from launch so there's little to show in-game at the moment, but we're pretty confident that the final game will approach this level of detail.

Basically it won't look like that at all. It's the ingame models and textures, but that whole thing was animated seperately, the effects were from outside the game, the backgrounds and whatnot are not from the game, the lighting isn't from the game and so on and so forth.

It's effectively like taking the Half-Life 2 models, loading them into 3DS-Max and then making a movie out of it using the 3DS renderer and all the fancy effects therein. Undeniably you'd be "using game assets", but the movie would look unlike anything you'll ever see in HL2.

Upvote 0
It's not from Bohemia studios, so i doubt they'll get the feeling right :(
I dont want the fecking chinese, give me back my eastern-european setting with soviets and chechyan-looking houses :(

ArmA doesnt have that setting either, but that's a different title so that does not matter there, allthough i wouldve liked it better if it had been more like Operation Flashpoint, and had kept in a campaign with a nice personal story, and not just the overall story of how the war is progressing wich is just plain boring IMO :(

Cant stand the fact that someone else is making the sequal to my favourite-of-all-times game :(

And the tank is to damn silent, it looks totally rediculous to see an infantryman sneaking around next to the tank, as if the noise wont be picked up by the enemy!
And we all know how much we hate the stealth tanks in RO!

Upvote 0
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for ArmA 2. I know a lot of people are unhappy about it, but it really seems like selective memory's a common affliction these days. I was in no illusions about ArmA being any more than OFP 1.5 and apart from some nasty bugs and questionable design decisions, I'm not overly worried if it's left to gather dust sooner than OFP was. I don't like the decision to keep the ArmA name for Game 2, especially considering public opinion of ArmA, but PR was never Bohemia's strong point.

Still, provided they rewrite big chunks of the engine, I'm looking forward to ArmA 2 more than OFP2.

Btw Disaster, ArmA 2 completely ditches the ArmA story and locale. It's back to the good old US vs Soviet premise and I'm real happy about it. Sure some people are complaining, but frankly I'm sick of shooting arabs, who seem to be this decade's "generic bad guys".

Upvote 0
It's not from Bohemia studios, so i doubt they'll get the feeling right :(
I dont want the fecking chinese, give me back my eastern-european setting with soviets and chechyan-looking houses :(

ArmA doesnt have that setting either, but that's a different title so that does not matter there, allthough i wouldve liked it better if it had been more like Operation Flashpoint, and had kept in a campaign with a nice personal story, and not just the overall story of how the war is progressing wich is just plain boring IMO :(

Cant stand the fact that someone else is making the sequal to my favourite-of-all-times game :(

And the tank is to damn silent, it looks totally rediculous to see an infantryman sneaking around next to the tank, as if the noise wont be picked up by the enemy!
And we all know how much we hate the stealth tanks in RO!

Like ArmA had any feel to it...

Upvote 0
Like ArmA had any feel to it...

I know what you mean, though.
I like OFP better then ArmA, cause in ArmA story just sucks and their's no persons you follow in the game, just an overall backdrop of what is going on in the war...
But what i was aiming for here, was the gameplay wich is still OFP-worthy, even though controls feel a bit loose at times, but you do get used to that untill its no problem anymore.
'
I can see Codemasters introducing a health system or such, or other bull**** wich just does not belong in OFP.
They've got one hell of a name to live up to here, and as they are not the original creators i doubt they will honour the old and get the feeling of gameplay right.

I could see them making it over-romantic as well lol, Company of Heroes style etc.
They're allready at it in the trailer with a stealthed m1a1 Abrams and a sneaking soldier next to it, seriously wtf? There is no way in hell you could be sneaky when youve got that beast rolling 20 cm away from you!
The thing is made as a combat tank, not as some kind of special forces with extra armour lol!

Upvote 0
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for ArmA 2. I know a lot of people are unhappy about it, but it really seems like selective memory's a common affliction these days. I was in no illusions about ArmA being any more than OFP 1.5 and apart from some nasty bugs and questionable design decisions, I'm not overly worried if it's left to gather dust sooner than OFP was. I don't like the decision to keep the ArmA name for Game 2, especially considering public opinion of ArmA, but PR was never Bohemia's strong point.

Still, provided they rewrite big chunks of the engine, I'm looking forward to ArmA 2 more than OFP2.

Btw Disaster, ArmA 2 completely ditches the ArmA story and locale. It's back to the good old US vs Soviet premise and I'm real happy about it. Sure some people are complaining, but frankly I'm sick of shooting arabs, who seem to be this decade's "generic bad guys".
There's arabs in ArmA??? Honestly they look more african to me (especially the souterners).

I like the idea of China being involved, it's closer to reality these days plus we still get all the nice commbloc gear :D

Upvote 0
ArmA IS USA Vs. Russians... well, they're not explicitly Russians, but they look Russian, and they use Russian weaponry so I say they're Russians.:p Communists at least.

I wish Bohemia would focus some more on ArmA... the netcode really needs improving, and the engine is a tad too heavy on fast machines too. To me, ArmA II looks just like ArmA but with prettier graphics.

Meh, I'll stick with ArmA for now. It's the standard in multiplayer realism right now imo. There's still so much to do.

Upvote 0
Pretty good trailer. I know the actual game *may* not be on par with these rendered graphics, but *if* they can improve on OFP with these graphics and animatons, it will be a total ArmA killer. Another *if" emphasis is on the realism side.

TBH I'm very disappointed with ArmA right now. And that "Game 2" looks like it will only be an "OFP 1.75".

Upvote 0