• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bioshock

I'll have to check out much I got Civ 4 and RTW (which was a waste of money), but I feel like the highest I've paid (without taxes) is 39.95.
Even though i have some of the bigger titles, the vast majority of my purchases were 29.95.

I really wish there was some way to stop the trends these days that you have to spend 50-60 dollars (and it seems to go up 5-10 dollars every year for big titles) for a huge title...when all you know about is the graphics. The actual gameplay and buggyness of the game are pretty hard to determine, and it also seems like gaming reviews (both magazine/website and individual) are more and more dominated by fanboys who give 10 stars regardless of quality.

On the bright side, this game looks good. 50 dollars good, the demo will help me tell.

However, I feel like single player replay value will always be just..very limited, and we don't know what the late game is like.

Maybe I should pirate it.

Upvote 0
Finished the demo last night. It was pretty fun, but disappointly a scripted tunnel-runner, so nothing revolutionary there. However, the world of Rapture was amazingly well done and detailed. Looked great on my rig and ran well too. Preordered, can't wait for friday - which is my day off too :)

Only first levels are linear and scripted.

Upvote 0
My Machine:
Athlon X2 4200+ 2.2Ghz
2GB Corsair XMS
A8N SLI Premium
8800GTX 768MB
X-Fi Gamer

I have the latest official Nvidia drivers, and not the performance enhancing Bioshock beta ones but i will try them out tonight and post back.

Stock performance on these drivers is excellent. I am running the game @ 1920 x 1200 with every thing maxed out except AA which does not work. The game averages about 45FPS with the lowest being no less than 30. It does shoot over 60 in some areas. This is very good performance considering its a next gen engine and a demo at that. Best thing is, it runs about the same as the 360 version except i have full 1080p goodness. My processor is not the fastest dual core around. I reckon with a decent Intel Core 2 this would be even better.

Oh and it gives both my CPU cores a work out. I don't know what the usage is when playing but when i ALT-TAB out it hovers around 60% so some of the second core is being used.

This goes to show you can develop quality games simultaneously on 360 and PC without borking the performance on PC.

Upvote 0
My Machine:
Athlon X2 4200+ 2.2Ghz
2GB Corsair XMS
A8N SLI Premium
8800GTX 768MB
X-Fi Gamer

I have the latest official Nvidia drivers, and not the performance enhancing Bioshock beta ones but i will try them out tonight and post back.

Stock performance on these drivers is excellent. I am running the game @ 1920 x 1200 with every thing maxed out except AA which does not work. The game averages about 45FPS with the lowest being no less than 30. It does shoot over 60 in some areas. This is very good performance considering its a next gen engine and a demo at that. Best thing is, it runs about the same as the 360 version except i have full 1080p goodness. My processor is not the fastest dual core around. I reckon with a decent Intel Core 2 this would be even better.

Oh and it gives both my CPU cores a work out. I don't know what the usage is when playing but when i ALT-TAB out it hovers around 60% so some of the second core is being used.

This goes to show you can develop quality games simultaneously on 360 and PC without borking the performance on PC.

Ive got nearly the same rig as yours and Im very happy to hear that.

Upvote 0
Ouch!

This must be a 8800s game then.

Just an update. I have tried the beta drivers and they did nothing for performance over the latest officials. So i put the official ones back on.

Well yea, the 7 series suck at shader heavy games. If I turn off all settings, I get about 70 fps. Oh and I run the game at 1920x1200.

Upvote 0
OK am I the only person in the known universe who finds the PC demo VERY underwhelming? I mean, where is the game here? This is some sort of semi-interactive slideshow story presented in virtual 3D world, but it's not a "game".

By "slideshow" I don't mean the performance - in fact the game performs surprisingly great on my machine(s) - I mean there is very little to do. Firefights are absolutely terrible. I mean Doom 2, 1995-ish standards terrible. Hell even HL2 (which I also hated) had at least much better firefights, even though the story and the little tricks were equally pointless IMO.

Bioshock firefights are shamefully bad when compared to, say, FEAR or COD2 firefights. And I am strictly staying in the "carnival shooter" territory, so I won't even mention "true" military shooters like Ghost Recon AW2, Red Orchestra, ArmA or AA (completely different class anyway).

Sorry, but when I want a good strory I pick a book (I *DO* read a lot - perhaps that's the root of my problem with story driven games) or go watch a movie. I don't need story-heavy, but gameplay-poor crap on my PC sold as great "games"....

Disappointed, even though I kinda expected it :mad:

Upvote 0
OK am I the only person in the known universe who finds the PC demo VERY underwhelming? I mean, where is the game here? This is some sort of semi-interactive slideshow story presented in virtual 3D world, but it's not a "game".

By "slideshow" I don't mean the performance - in fact the game performs surprisingly great on my machine(s) - I mean there is very little to do. Firefights are absolutely terrible. I mean Doom 2, 1995-ish standards terrible. Hell even HL2 (which I also hated) had at least much better firefights, even though the story and the little tricks were equally pointless IMO.

Bioshock firefights are shamefully bad when compared to, say, FEAR or COD2 firefights. And I am strictly staying in the "carnival shooter" territory, so I won't even mention "true" military shooters like Ghost Recon AW2, Red Orchestra, ArmA or AA (completely different class anyway).

Sorry, but when I want a good strory I pick a book (I *DO* read a lot - perhaps that's the root of my problem with story driven games) or go watch a movie. I don't need story-heavy, but gameplay-poor crap on my PC sold as great "games"....

Disappointed, even though I kinda expected it :mad:

pretty much sum up my feelings about this game...

Upvote 0