• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Questions from a BF2 refugee

furtim

FNG / Fresh Meat
Aug 19, 2007
I've loved playing the BF2 series since BF1942, but as an older guy I got really tired of the bunny hopping, childish players that were much too common. I preferred mods like Forgotten Hope that the immature crowd didn't like because they were hard and lethal. Also, I'm more a fan of the simple lethality of WWII over the more complex modern night-scope world of BF2 Spec Ops, etc.

So - I've decided to give Red Orchestra a try. On paper, it looks ideal. Couple of questions:

1. I try to be a good team player, but I realize I'll start as a pretty low skilled newbie. How tolerant are people in the games of someone just learning the game?

2. For various reasons, I preferred playing as a sniper in BF, but not a hang back and pick off people camper style - I tried to move up and support my team as they took objectives, trying to take out the pesky machine gun nest or that guy who was picking off our people as they tried to take an objective, etc. But I know sniper was looked down upon in the BF community - how is it seen in the RO community?

Thanks, and look forward to seeing you guys.

I also started out as a refugee from BF2 (Great term, BTW :p) I wanted a little more teamplay, and the trailer sold it for me.

1. Starting out as a newbie is really, really hard. At first I HATED the game. Then I hated the game some more. I gave it a third chance, and still thought it sucked. Now, I love it. I kept coming back and eventually just fell in love with it. People are pretty newbie friendly. As long as you stay on infantry for a while. As long as you don't teamkill TOO much (Most servers have FF on, and usually 1 hit kills your friends) I didn't find anyone really caring that I was a newbie. The 1 exception is being in a tank. A tank crew should probably be experienced somewhat. Try going into empty tanks so you can practice by yourself, but don't try to get into tanks with others since you'll probably nub it up, and people don't like that.

2. The sniper class is limited in RO. Not all maps have a sniper kit availible, and if they do there's probably only 1/2 per team depending on the map. Basically, the Assault class of BF2 is the Rifleman class of RO. It's an un-scoped single shot bolt action rifle...They're basically snipers on their own, they are extremely acurate, kill in 1 hit almost all the time, and work like sniper rifles. They are quite literaly the sniper rifles without a scope.
And to your second part of How snipers are seen...well...A good sniper can hinder an enemy team quite a bit. Being a sniper gives you a huge advantage on most maps. Not to say that you're an instant death machine when you're a sniper...but, you're pretty close :p It really doesn't take too much to succeed as a sniper, but nobody really views them BADLY, since they're an important part of the team too.

Upvote 0
Hey welcome,

The community in general is friendly to the new players. Ofcourse you always have a few asshats that think about it otherwise but often the community is oke. For the best games try to get on a server with admins. For example the Splat server.

About the sniper rifle, it is pretty hard to get your hands on it since only 1 or 2 are allowed on a map. But when you get 1 it is still hard to master it. You have to take in account bulletdrop, the movement of the player etc. If i was you I would start out with a normal rifle, learn to aim etc and later on go for the sniperrifle

Upvote 0
1. I try to be a good team player, but I realize I'll start as a pretty low skilled newbie. How tolerant are people in the games of someone just learning the game?

Don't worry about, just enjoy all of the interesting moments to come.

2. For various reasons, I preferred playing as a sniper in BF, but not a hang back and pick off people camper style - I tried to move up and support my team as they took objectives, trying to take out the pesky machine gun nest or that guy who was picking off our people as they tried to take an objective, etc. But I know sniper was looked down upon in the BF community - how is it seen in the RO community?

It's seen as a very interesting class. It's good training if you can select the sniper slot because suddenly you will have to keep your eyes on both sides. :)

Upvote 0
I've loved playing the BF2 series since BF1942, but as an older guy I got really tired of the bunny hopping, childish players that were much too common. I preferred mods like Forgotten Hope that the immature crowd didn't like because they were hard and lethal. Also, I'm more a fan of the simple lethality of WWII over the more complex modern night-scope world of BF2 Spec Ops, etc.

So - I've decided to give Red Orchestra a try. On paper, it looks ideal. Couple of questions:

Confucius says:"Rifle with scope, is like bicycle with training wheels" ^^;)

More serious though, people are relaxed IMHO. You wont be called a n00b any time soon, at least, and as long as you apologize for accidental teamkills all should be fine.

Usually, i find a good bolt player to be just as usefull as a sniper, the only thing the sniper has got over a boltie except for the standard, overglorified 'leetness-factor', is the fact he can view things far away from a bit closer, and thus have a slightly better shot. However, IMO that doesnt account to all that much in RO as ranges usually are not long enough to justify a scope, and 99% of targets will be taken down just as quickly with a regular bolt as with a scoped rifle.
(Not to say that the sniper is being looked down upon, though)

Upvote 0
The scroll button lets you pop your head out of a tank to take a look around, and pressing F4 in a Half Track gives you a 3d view. And always go straight for the capzones, only snipers and bad players hang around outside em, greyed out symbols on the map means you can't cap that zone, remember that, it'll save you alot of time.

Upvote 0

Everyone started as a newbie once, so don't bother thinking about that. Just get comfortable with the game and remember that the objective is to take or hold cap zones, in order to win a map. Try to stick with your teammates and ask about anything you don't understand or have a problem with; generally, the mature/experienced players will help you.

Welcome!

[Nic.B.]

Upvote 0
when i play in RO it's nearly impossible to tell who is a newbie, and who is a veteran. and i have never ever seen anyone being insulted for being a newbie, as a matter i have yet to see anyone being insulted in any case, except for intentional teamkillers. the RO players are more mature, you won't see cussing and insulting all the time like in BF or COD.

when i used to play COD, i could tell inmediately who was a newbie and who was a veteran. because in those games it's all about skill and knowing the best hacks.
i dont think i play RO much better now, then i did when i first began to play it.
you are who you are in RO, no matter how much you play. there are no tricks or hacks, there is just you and you intelligence. the only advantage veterans have in RO, is that they know the maps already.

i used to be the king with my mp40 in COD2 on realism servers, i could take out anyone and win every duel. and oftenly end up first on the server rank. but as soon as i stopped playing for a few weeks i had lost all my skill, and had to rebuild my "reputation" from scratch. that has never happened in RO, you play in RO how you would fight in real life. it shows you who you are. you wont see any "GOD" players with monster scores in RO, like you have in most other games.
so don't be scared of veterans, because on the field there is no skill that counts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Red orchestra

Red orchestra

I too moved from Battlefield 2 and 1942 to Red Orchestra, never looked back since!
Must admit I still like a blast in the planes on 1942 now and then.

I agree with all the posts on here in your response to yours - people just get on and play the game and I rarely see arguing and 'noob' texts in game.
It certainly is refreshing after playing BF2 etc as that is so full of childish remarks, ruining a potentially great game.

In Red Orchestra I usually play bolt action rifle as I find it so accurate.
Once you get the hang of aiming (I'm still learning!) it's lethal and fundamental to your team's progress.
I would say commander is the class that a team sometimes get frustrated with.
It's like commander in BF2, people will often rely heavily on you and expect you to be thinking ahead.
Although it's not as complicated with radars and stuff it has the ability to drop artillery and smoke on the enemy so people will expect you to drop it where they want. It's a case of them knowing strageic points often and knowing the map very well. Personally I go commander sometimes if I know the map well and noone else is in that role just to get some artillery and smoke to help us all along.
I usually go back to bolt action or even sniper if it's free.
Again, people will often expect the sniper to be taking out the MG and enemy's sniper, not racking up points.

This is only my views from what I've gathered since playing 11 months ago.
I do love this game and the forums tend to be very constructive too - you can ask questions usually without people calling you a retard etc haha.

Well if you want to catch up when you (hopefully) do get the game then feel free to message me here on the forums. I love to work with a team player in game and you learn from each other.

Andy

Upvote 0
You got the infantry covered, but tanks are also a major element of the game

I'd recommend removing incremental steering, it's easier that way for me (but experiment, it's still quite useful)
If you get to command a tank, use the fact that you can peek out of the turret using mousewheel or some buttons (sorry i remapped them so i don't know exactly), including binoculars, command your driver as he often will see almost nothing, U is for vehicle speak, numpad keys serve as shortcuts, so 8 is "forward", 5 is "stop" etc.
As a driver, be sure to listen to your commander and you can also peek out using wheel but you're vunerable to shots then
This aint no arcade game where you shoot tanks from point blank range, usually you will see a small blink 1 km ahead, and a second later, you're history
Rotating a turret in Tiger takes ages, 360 turn = 60 seconds, look at your seconds dial to get a hint on how fast (slow?) it is...

Upvote 0
Hi mate, a few of us have been playing RO for a few months now, we come from a 42 background..Like you BF2 isn't quite the same, full of bunnyhopping, stat padding,n00b calling kids...or at least a high percentage lol. We still play friendly matches which we all enjoy..Pub play has taken somewhat of a dive.

We stumbled across RO purely by chance and thought we'd give it a crack.
Firstly stick with it for at least a few hours its hard to get your head around after playing 42/BF2. much slower pace/realistic, hard as nails when you start off, but much more rewarding overall and it grows on you the more you play, ive been playing for about 6 mths and i still dont know half of it. Learning all the time.........:)

Great for teamplay.

Very atmospheric and the level of detail is top notch.

Great support,updates,maps etc (pi**es all over EA), and a bargain at a tenner.

Generally good Crowd in game, certainly doesn't feel like your standard BF2 server put it that way, more mature and better teamplay. Tk's are expected and as someone said above a quick "sorry" does the trick, usually get a reply of "nps" etc...instead of a punish or a vote kick.

Hope you enjoy it .:D

Upvote 0

1) Very. Just don't forget to apologise for tk's you made, try not to ask some obvious questions and you'll be fine.

2) Sniper is one of the "key" element of the teams in RO together with MG's. People always keeps an eye on your score and how you play, and warns you to "leave the rifle to someone experienced" if you're really screwing up. So, you'll get the attention you want I guess :)

Welcome to the RO and don't forget; once you start, there's no turning back ;)

Upvote 0

Welcome!!! Us "Older" guys are not in the minority on the RO Platform. You'll find the gameplay is intense and highly enjoyable. In fact, once you get started, you'll come back for more and more. ;)

Newbie, n00b or whatever... just jump right in and do your best. Surprisingly, you will find your "best" getting better with every RO session. The game is (imho) absolutely amazing, the reality is top notch and the gameplay itself is unbeatable.

Play all the classes, don't shy away from any of them. They're all unique, realistic and highly entertaining. Most of all, once you are comfy with the game, make your own choices. Don't allow yourself to be badgered into anything by anyone. You will ultimately find that RO is the wisest FPS choice you've made.

In rating RO: On a scale of 0-10
  • Balance - 10
  • Playability - 10
  • Realism - 10
  • Entertainment Factors - 10
  • Support - 10+
  • Communications - 10+
It just doesn't get any better... Welcome Aboard!! :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies, guys. I have been practicing with the single player bots, and this is some kind of intense!

I have been practicing exclusively with the bolt rifle on primarily infantry maps, like Danzig as the Axis. I did try the sniper but that is going to take some real practice, and I feel I'm better off learning the basic soldiering and maps with the bolt. I do enjoy seeing some enemy soldier blasting away with his SMG, and dropping him with one shot with the bolt. ;) I've never been a vehicle kind of guy - although I do enjoy the challenge of trying to take out a tank! ;)

Overall feel - exactly what I was looking for. Intense. Hard. Scary. Difficulty is a bit high to start, I think because there's no little transparent map up in the corner of the screen, you have to pull a map up and stop moving/fighting to view it (as far as I can tell) and because it seems pretty tough to determine friend or foe - I see the blue names of friends when close enough, but no red over enemy? Do you just have to be able to discern via location and uniform?

Got the day off today, so I'll venture onto a map or two online and see if anyone is around.

Upvote 0
ROOST is a fully realistic game with up to 64 players in one online game. But still that dose not mean it is anything like BF2. For one we have no aircraft. The devs tryed to add them at one point IE pre alpha and siad that they changed the game too much away from the ground war that the game was all about. BTW there is no US, or British teams in ROOST. IE it takes place all on the Eastern Front of WW2, so you got both Germans and Russians. But thats not a bad thing.

Currently we have over 23 maps that are all offical, and more than 20 weapons. The list is as fallows for weapons and vehicles:

Weapons:

USSR:

TT33
M91/30
M91/30 Scoped
M38 carbine
M44 carbine with fixed bayonet
SVT40
SVT40 Scoped
PPD40
PPSH41
PPS43
DP28
DT15 Note: only on the Universal Carrier/BA-64
RGD1 Smoke nade
F1 frag nade
M91/30 Bayonet
M44 Bayonet
SVT40 Bayonet
PTRD-41: This is the Russians main anti-tank weapon as it was all through WW2.

Germany:

Luger P08
Walther P38
Kar98k
kar98k Scoped
G41
G43
G43 Scoped
MP40
MP41
STG44
MG34
MG42: This is not stationary like it was in BF1942 it can be placed any where on the map by the man that carries it. BTW it has no hip shoot function like the MG34 dose.
Stielgranate 39
Stielgranate 41 Smoke nade
Kar98Bayonet
Panzerfaust: This is the Germans main anti-tank weapon as it was all through WW2. yes you can set the range your shooting at or just guss like most people do.

Both teams can use the fallowing tools for team work play:

Binoculars

Satchels: These are nothing like the C4, or TNT you got in BF games. It has to have it's rip cord pulled and then tossed into place mid combat. It's also a realistic 10KG satchel so watch it beacuse it has a huge kill zone. Good for dealing with obsticals, or takeing out tanks if your a crazy nut job like some players are LOL!

Atillery Radios: This is the only way to call in fire support on any map that has arty as an option for the Squad Leader. You have to find one of these, place the call and then wait for command to respond. Then and only then will it rain down shells from above. It works well and it's not like in BF2 where it was only like 4-5 shots then it was done. This arty is WW2 style! so it's 3-4 or sometimes 5 vollyes of 10 shells every 10 seconds. You can use it to cut off an enemy advance or even to kill enemy vehicles.

BTW you will hear your avitar call in the arty strike, then hear command respond in kind with a helpfull message at the top lefthand corner that will tell you if command accsepts your request or not. IE they have a limited number of strikes they can do per map, and if you use them all up to soon you will be in big truble down the line.

BTW all rifles/SMGs/pistols can be used as meele weapons with or without ammo. So your never out of the fight like you can be in BF. Most rifles also have Bayonets that you can use in combat as well to do bayonet charges, and or deal more damage to the enemy, for course at the cost of accuracy if you shoot with the thing on your weapon.

Nades can be tossed over or under hand. I never use the Underhand but I have tryed it and it can be usefull for getting the nade out on the ground faster without aiming mutch.

This game is a M rated game for a reason. IE we can lose our arms/heads/legs/feet, or even have the weapon we have shot out of our hands and have to stop and pic it up. BTW that dose not happen too often. Blood will also show up on dead bodies even if they have been there for some time.

There are also real taunts that are real caurse words in both German, and Russian.

As for vehicles we have the fallowing:

USSR:

BT-7: This tank can have 4 men ride on it's back side at any time during combat.
T-60: This has a 40mm AA gun armed with AP rounds and it is full atuo. It takes some getting used too but after a while you will be killing tanks in no time.
KV-1s
T-34/76: With correct turret I might add!
T-34/85
IS2
SU-76
Unversal Carrier APC: IE a Russian lend lease with a DT in place of the British Bren gun. It can hold a grand total of 4 troops plus one driver and gunner on the MG.
BA-64 scout car

Germany:

Panzer3
Panzer4F1
Panzer4F2
Panzer4G: This one will be in the game after the next patch for ROOST is out.
Panzer4H
PantherG
Tiger1
Stug3
Henomag APC: This can hold 6 troops plus one driver and on gunner on the MG.

As fare as vehicles go this game is way better than BF1942/BF2 ever was. We have engines that can be disabled mid combat, ammo stores that if hit will kill the vehicle instantly and even correct damage modeling for all of them. IE you won't see an APC lasting agenst a full on tank of any type or make for vary long. IE most tanks can kill them in one shot or in the case of the T-60 4/5 IE it has a AA gun for a main weapon.

BTW tanks and APCs/Scout cars all need more than one man to make them work the best. IE a good tank crew in an IS2/Tiger can own the whole map if your infantry don't take them out as soon as they get on the front line of combat.

There are also no silly looking flags on the maps to mark the places for people to cap objectives. Instead we have realsitc maps that show where everything of major importantce is even where our Squad Leader has palced arty, and rally points. BTW this map dose not show where your team mates are IE it only shows your location on the map with a Red triangle.

As fare as combat goes. MGs are a major issue for infantry only type maps. If one gets set up and is not dealt with soon it can and will take it's tool on your team. BTW all MGers can get ammo from anyone on the map on their own team. MGs are only limited to 1-2 spots per map most of the time. You won't have the BF2/BF1942 issue of everybody runing around with heavy MGs all day.

Snipers are another issue for infantry maps that have them. They not only have fully realsitic scopes but can use them to shoot targets fare beyond what any normal rifle can do. IE the semi-auto ones are even more deadly. But there are only ever 1-2 snipers per team on any given map. This keeps people from only spawning as snipers.

SMGs are bad news in close combat, but at longer ranges they tend to be good for suppresive fire only. IE it's not a good thing to have SMGs shooting at people that are more than 600 yards away. IE you will have a hard time hitting them. SMGs are also a limited class but in the case of the USSR for some maps they had entire platoons of MSG armed troops so watch our for those as it can be hard for the Germans to match that kind of fire power.

Semi-auto rifles are nasty! They can shoot twice as fast as any bolt action can but have more recoil. IE it's a game thing to help ballence things out. But these are vary limited.

Bolt-action rifles are the main stay of almost every map in the game. You will end up useing these the most often. They are reliable and accurate to over 800 yards. As you would expect all bolts are powerfull, and in large numbers can lay alot of rounds down range if needed.

Pistols are in limited supplys in ROOST. The only classes that have them or can choose the different types are SquadLeaders, or MGers. This way you don't get the stupid looking pistol matches that everybody dose in BF games alot. You won't see these in use too often in combat as MGers tend to use just that their MGs, and the Squad Leader will most likely stick to his SMG/Semi-auto rifle. Some times you will see a pistol beind used in a trench but thats it. Close range is what these are for, and a last line of defence as well.

You will also have to lead your targets a bit even when tanking. You can get your weapon shot out of your hand thought this is hard to do in ROOST, and is a rare event for most players that use cover. Of couse this means you will have to go back and pick it up, or find an enemy gun some where. BTW you will also need to pick up the correct ammo pouch for that gun too. BTW if you get shot in the legs you will start to limb, It's even modeled in therd person so everybody can see your in big trible. You will even slow down if hit in the legs when prone, or in a crouch.

BTW you can run and stay crouched at the same time. It helpes keep your profile low to the ground and can save your neck in combat. You can also lean around corners at any time and rest your weapon on any object. This goes for MGs too! you can palce them any where you like. On a table, on stairs, on the ground/floor, in windows, on fences, on busted up map statics even on other players that are crouched! It's fun and cool!

Well thats all I can think of to tell you BTW there are no X hairs and please don't go asking for them...............

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0