• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What is this "session banning" crap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

killaer

Mar 17, 2007
I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but some of The Wild Bunch servers are doing "Session banning" I'm not sure if this is being used on other servers, but I think it's absolutley the stupidest idea in the world. You know how when you injure/kill too many friendly soldiers you used to get a kick out of the server?
Well now, apparently you are banned for a session...I don't know How long a "session" is (The map duration?) But this is probably the stupidest idea I've seen in a long time. Even the OLD idea of kicking users out for getting too many TKs is bad. I understand, maybe if a soldier has a low score he should be kicked (a griefer joining into a game and TKing people randomly) But there is no way that I should be banned from a game for a duration of time, or even KICKED out of a server because some idiot walked in front of a firing machine gun. So I'm just wondering what everyone else thinks of this system...

Been said before...and before that....and before that.
If you have a problem with the server bring it to the admin/CL's attention on THEIR forum.
If you want to talk in generalities or put a point, fine, but as soon as you mention a particular server or clan, TBH I stop seeing valid argument and just see "Wah!, I got kicked, its not fair!"

If you don't like it take it up with TWB (who incidentally are a great bunch, and open to CREATIVE input)
If you want to ask a GENERAL question then DON'T add details as to whose server you were on.

Upvote 0
TWB are great servers, but it seems like there isn't always an admin there, and it shows.

We already have to deal with spawn exit blockers, people spamming messages, all the racial stuff (Form what I've seen often some neonazi wannabe always on the axis team trying to glorify the holocaust, as well as KKK type racism.)

Not having to be TKed everytime you try to exit a spawn I find...frankly..nice. Maybe you love it, but these measures make it so the griefers don't stay the whole game (although they still tend to last long enough to make sure your team loses at least 1 or 2 key objectives, if not the game.)

I've only been TKed when my friends and I would sometimes try and sneak up and bayo each other from behind as a kind of long term joke that we have been doing. Even when we are doing this, we rarely hit the limit.

Also, I've seen it happen to squad leaders, especially on basovka, which is unfortunate. Its just not 5 or 6 TKs (which IMO, in this game, if you get that many, you are more likely than not either being overly careless or being purposeful.) It seems to be 8-10, or 5-6 in a very short span, which makes it almost beyond doubt that there were purposeful TKers.

This game is one of the most forgiving games about TKs. I remember other games, where the standard server limit before kick was 3 TKs. I remember in ET, if a TK was not forgiven, you were punished heavily, and many people as standard practice would not forgive (no matter how obvious it was their fault, like them running right into your minefield cause they wanted to punish you for planting "their mines.") and would furthermore ***** for 5 minutes about it. Reflective damage, having admins permaban you for accidently tking them once, etc..this is all stuff I've seen pretty comonly in 9 years of gaming.

There is no problem, except us possibly being to nice about it.

Upvote 0
I hate how some servers have such low TK limits and you get a session ban. One of the reasons I don't go commander and even engineer!
People either don't listen to your warning on arty or you blow your own team mates when you satchel a wall because they followed you and sat on the satchel. This is a problem on large maps with long time limits, eg Berizina where you may have tk'd by mistake at the start of the map and you end up forgetting about that tk until near the end of the round and you tk by mistake again and find yourself kicked and you're like "wtf? I don't deliberatly tk that much!"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but some of The Wild Bunch servers are doing "Session banning" I'm not sure if this is being used on other servers, but I think it's absolutley the stupidest idea in the world. You know how when you injure/kill too many friendly soldiers you used to get a kick out of the server?
Well now, apparently you are banned for a session...I don't know How long a "session" is (The map duration?) But this is probably the stupidest idea I've seen in a long time. Even the OLD idea of kicking users out for getting too many TKs is bad. I understand, maybe if a soldier has a low score he should be kicked (a griefer joining into a game and TKing people randomly) But there is no way that I should be banned from a game for a duration of time, or even KICKED out of a server because some idiot walked in front of a firing machine gun. So I'm just wondering what everyone else thinks of this system...

Session Bans are now in place for 1 map for too many t'kills.
Server messages do inform session bans are in place.
Our servers used to be set to kick for x amount of t'kills which has always worked fine for us, until we took over the admin of TWI's West coast server.
Then we started to receive a lot of complaints regarding deliberate T'killers joining the server being kicked then coming straight back on & doing the same thing again particularly on that West coast server.
Some of the griefers local to the area & well known on this forum.
It also then spread to our own 2 UK servers.
The free guest passes going around hasn't helped the situation either. Enabling particular Banned players to get another Guid & repeat their actions. It's not just on our servers, they visit all the populated servers out there that they can.
Whilst we try to admin all the servers 24/7 It's just not possible to be in the right place at the right time all of the time.
Just because you don't see an admin playing on the server do not assume there isn't an admin around.
We have now had to put in place a session ban.
This was because of a thread that was started on these Forums and requests by many to put the session ban in place to stop the deliberate T'killers.
It can be a problem for commander or squad leader roles as accidental t'kills are sometimes unavoidable and we apologise for that but until the deliberate t'killing abates it will remain in place.
Unfortunately the session ban can not sort out what is deliberate t'killing & what isn't. I don't think there is a mutator either.
Hopefully we will be able to revert to our usual method of just autokick for x amount of t'kills asap.
There will be a new patch coming out soon that will allow players themselves to forgive hopefully this will help to solve problems.

As JudgeMental said this Forum was not the place for this post. Our server messages clearly state how to get in touch with admin at The Wild Bunch & how to get onto Our Forums. As do most servers out there.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.