• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Gran Turismo 5 prologue!

damage for Racing cars and F1 cars I hear
I believe they would add that in a later stadium...

As they "did" (read: did not) with GT4...
dynamic weather and day/night cycles? that would be cool
I believe they actually had that ready for GTHD but decided to halt that and implement it in GT5 for those 24-hour/12-hour endurances races. :eek:

Upvote 0
some info -

According to new Famitsu, GT5: Prologue will feature money, aka Credits system of some kind for vehicle buying. Those credits will be transferable to later Gran Turismo 5 full game.

Professional Mode will be introduced for the first time - still no details about it though.

The locations of GT players are shown on the world map on My Page (like Folding@HOME)

Also, Prologue obviusely won't come free since they state the "new downoads for additional tracks and vehicles" will be free. We'll have to pay for the first time then. No details yet about a cost.

They've confirmed 40 cars and announced 4 tracks with 8 layouts. Online will come in 2 options: with or without chat. Confirmed 1080p and real time HDR lightning in-game

first ever in-game in-car view
149041.jpg

F430 Pre-Race prep:
149040.jpg

PS-GT-MYPAGE_big.jpg

Seems it is going to be one hell-of-a-big "Prologue" Almost as a full game release with all those features that this pic resembles. This is going to be very serious stuff..

It has some kind of real-time clock, cross-world connection (cities are highlighted on world map), calendar, video-stream (GT Tube anyone?), PhotoAlbum and direct connection to PlayStation Home. Oh yes, Garage is now an separate entity, as it was not in GT4 prologue. So we can speak about possible great amount of cars there. Japanese site that have short report mentiones Kaz was also speaking about the weather reports and "customizations" - but it did not make clear what customization reffers to. It seems that after going online game will show you your city, location, local time, weather, temperature, etc.. They also mention that Kaz was speaking about 16 players online as a fact for Prologue. It also seems GT5:p is going to be Network download game after all.

Upvote 0
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3161484

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Online Details
Producer Kazunori Yamauchi talks about online features for the upcoming racer.

The latest issue of Weekly Famitsu magazine features an interview with Gran Turismo series producer Kazunori Yamauchi. Here he talks about some of the new features for the upcoming Gran Turismo 5 Prologue.

- PlayStation Home icon on the top menu screen: within the Home universe, there will be something like a "Gran Turismo World" galaxy. You can then enter the top menu of the game from Home, or vice-versa by selecting the respective icons.

- My Page: When the game starts, a My Page screen will also appear. In the final version, Yamauchi hopes to include a friends list as well. There will be several background images for the My Page screen such as Tokyo and other cities, but will also include sceneries of both outdoors and indoors. There is also a weather forecast displayed so that other players will know which geographic location you are in and how the weather is there.

- Chat features: Prologue will include 2 online modes, one which includes the chat features and the other which excludes this feature.

- Number of cars and course selection: about 40 cars and 4 courses with 8 different layouts. There will also be new courses which was briefly shown in the E3 trailer.

- Prologue will not have cars and course downloadables.

- Prologue falls somewhere in between the GT and Arcade mode. Players can earn reward money from each race and purchase new cars. There will be normal cars and tuned cars, but players cannot tune their own cars in this version. The save data from Prologue (such as money earned and cars purchased) can be carried over to Gran Turismo 5.

- 16 cars during races for offline mode. This may drop to 12 cars in online mode.

- Game control features "Normal Mode" based on simulation engine and "Professional Mode" based on actual car behavior and physics.

- Yamauchi hopes to include B-spec mode but it is still not decided at this point.

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue is scheduled for an October release in Japan.

Upvote 0
first ever in-game in-car view
149041.jpg
That's awesome!

I wonder if they can maintain their rare cars when they'd have to model an interior aswell...

And the interior of a Ferrari F430 isn't really interesting, I'd love to see the interior of a Pagani Zonda F, a Spyker C8 Laviolette, an Audi R8 and the Cizeta-Moroder V16T! :D

Upvote 0
That's awesome!

I wonder if they can maintain their rare cars when they'd have to model an interior aswell...

And the interior of a Ferrari F430 isn't really interesting, I'd love to see the interior of a Pagani Zonda F, a Spyker C8 Laviolette, an Audi R8 and the Cizeta-Moroder V16T! :D

not only that but each driver has their own racing suit and team colours too...

Upvote 0
Believe they have stated they want to do a full damage model for cars including internal parts, however they have run into the wall of companies not wanting them to hurt their cars in the past, they don't know if they can break down that wall yet for GT 5 full yet.

This is a myth I'm afraid.
The makers of Forza (2) said they had no problems with putting realistic damage models in their game and getting licenses/aproval for certain car brands/models.
Just check out the wide range of brands and models in Forza 2.

Upvote 0
This is a myth I'm afraid.
The makers of Forza (2) said they had no problems with putting realistic damage models in their game and getting licenses/aproval for certain car brands/models.
Just check out the wide range of brands and models in Forza 2.
Forza Motorsport (2) is developed by Turn 10, and is financially backupped by Microsoft.

So if Ferrari SpA says they don't want damage on their precious Ferrari Enzo Ferrari, Microsoft backs them up financially.

At least, so I heard.
not only that but each driver has their own racing suit and team colours too...
That shouldn't be a problem really.

In Tourist Trophy you could already change suits, helmets, etc.

Upvote 0
gametrailers - at the beginning you can see a choice of physics

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/23974.html

That's not aq choice of physics, but a rudimentary car setup, as it was present in any GT I played. Judgeing by the video, and especially the nice little bars for brake and gas, it is going to have the same driving model (it's NOT physics, no matter what sony says) as GT 3+4.
Not that it's bad, it's just nowhere near a sim.

Upvote 0
GT series always suffered from a physics flaw, you couldnt flip your car. Driving with non castrated physics like richard burns rally feels whole lot different. All power from rolling a car on your roof in GT transfers in silly amounts of oversteer. I hope GT5 is different but I doubt it. I dont even own a PS3 so... Just thought id mention this.

Upvote 0
I put more hours into the GT series than any PC driving Sim like GTR2 etc, maybe that says something for GT's design and engine even though it isn't in the same league simwise, it just feels right for the most part.

My background comes from modifying streetcars and driving em hard, and getting into the Japanese Best motoring videos and Option magazine back in the day I guess that's why :D
GT reeks of this, as opposed to someone coming from a racing game background. HOnestly I play a hardcore rally game, or a racing game like GTR2, GTL etc, for say a few months and then never touch it again, I dunno it just lacks something to draw me back. Driving a car in real life is fairly easy, but these other games don't make it feel like that - your like on ice and slippery dippy sliding

Upvote 0
more info

more vids - I already posted the 5th one
http://www.gametrailers.com/game/5158.html

I'm going to break down the video fasj6418 posted in case you haven't downloaded all 222mbs of it
This is nowhere near 100% correct and is only meant to give you an idea of what is said and details on the features of GT5:p

There is a big difference in comparison to the traditional top screens that you would have on a game. Historicly you would have game logo and game modes underneath, second layer would be selection of cars and tracks etc etc.
But at PD we have studied when you combine a racing game with the online features what kind of user interface is necessary and our solution is this. (shows GT5:p startup page)
This is basicly each individual's 'mypage' that you will have in the envirorment of GT5: Prologue. The car in the back ground is something that you can choose, so you can customize your mypage, give it more character, it's more about you. The car is from the selectin that you have obtained, so you choose your car.
The background (the one with the tables in the 'lets find out where this is thread') is from a small town near the Nurburgring Circuit in Germany
It is a beautiful location combined with a beautiful car, fantastic.
You can change both of these elements, the car from your garage and the background. We will be sure to provide a range of background settings to choose from.
Maybe it's a city location like Tokyo at night, maybe its inside a very beautiful architecture building, a various range of locations to choose from.
The enviorments are are like a 3-D wallpaper
The top of mypage is a global map. Here you can show where you are. I could say I am from Tokyo so Tokyo would be flashing and at the same time it would display the time zone in Tokyo, the time in Tokyo as well as the weather. You will aslo be able to see your friends who are online. So ...online friend is not a simple ID number...adding character to that, it brings more to it.
The caldendar feature will help keep schedule or keep track of events that are occurring within the world of GT5:p, online events that we create for online users to enjoy. Any other persons, even individuals can come and schedule events and say "OK, let's all race at Nurburgring this weekend." That kind of information will be made available on the calendar.
We will talk about TV in more detail at TGS, but we will talk about the concept of this. This is non game visual content that surrounds cars. It could be a famous TV program about cars. It could be in house video footage that we generate at PD, how to drive, things of that nature. It could be race footage, it could be something that a car manufaturer could give to us, any car related content would gather here. You will no longer have to browse through TV anymore looking for car related content, it will be here in TV, a very wide amount of car related programs.
Album is a feature that will enable players to post still photo which they take from their experience in GT. You can also post your favorite photos on album. This will also apply to video replays of your race or maybe your best time or best lap at the Nurburgring. You can show off to your friends here.
Profile adds to giving character to your mypage. You can talk a little about yourself, where you are based, your favorite manufacturer, favorite colors, favorite food. You can share these profiles with your friends online. You can check out their profiles. This brings intimacy, friendship.
The ultimate aim for HOME is for a seamless integration between HOME enviorments and GT enviorments. Hopefully someone can open a door in HOME and enter the world of GT and vice versa
Modeling cars is PD's specialty. They try very hard.
Average GT5 car is around 200,000 polygons
Average GT4 car is around 4,000 polygons
Average PGR4 car is around 90,000 - Added by Earth
The gap is 50x
We take it the extra mile, to the extremes
How the glass and lights is cut and molded how it reflects, every little detail we did not miss. We don't want to be sloppy because any little detail can ruin the realism of the car models
The car models have been created by components. The bonnet can be taken off, the bumper can be taken off to allow for future replacement of body parts.
Pit area, driver and crew is decorated according to manufacturer. Each manufacturer must agree with the design
The opening movie of GT4 with the Ford GT in the pitlane can be run in real time in GT5 @1080p
The physics have been rebuilt from scratch + there are 2 modes. Standard is designed for the wider audience. Designed for beginners to intermediate. Still very realistic but more forgiving. Professional is GT's super extreme. The real experience for those who want to improve their driving skills. Less forgiving.
We have received feedback from people. One side says it is too extreme. The other side it is a great game but I want hardcore, more hardcore driving. This is our solution. We hope it will resolve that.
16 cars @1080p only possible with PS3 and the cell processor. Our goal is to raise the bar and the standard.
Now with the interior view it feels more realstic, like you are driving the real thing and you can be more proud of what you are driving.
The entire interior is modeled.
Some elements need work. Hand movements need improvement. Visuals inside the mirrors need improvement. We'll get there.
The leather has stiching and the different textures of leather, plastic whatever material is replicated as accuratley as possible.
The AI has been redesigned. We had to because there are now 16 cars on track. The AI has to be redesigned...
There are more camera angles then from previous GTs, more wide, open camera shots.
Previously with only 6 cars we had to be more creative with the camera angles, using more zoom to create action.
Replay runs at 30fps because we add more effects to the replay.
One of the ultimate goals of GT5:p is revisiting the basics of racing games. Take the core elements and raise them to the next level. 1. Car modeling. We want to stay with the reputation we have, the best possible car modeling. 2. The physics. 3. The AI. Without good AI design the race would not be enjoyable, therefore we redesigned the AI so each of the opponent cars will respect each other. 4. 16 cars will increase the racing experience. We have things like change of weather, tuning, damage, are on our roadmap. We hope to add those in updates, but we want to make the backbone strong first.
We are prefectionists and will always be like that on our franchise.
Q&A
Q: Online Features: Forza fan asks if it will have online features like Forza2
A: I never played Forza 2
Q: How many people will be able to race against each other?
A: We're thinking about a maximum of 16. That relys on those who are trying to connect to eachother and play with eachother. With higher speeds the more
Q: Bluray? North america this year?
A: Available on PSN store and blu-ray. We don't know as of now when it will be released in US market. We will be able to talk about it at a later date. As of today...
Q: How will the physics feel differently?
A: It may only be noticeable for the more experienced drivers. Very noticeable when the car starts to slide. When it starts to slide it has previously been hard to control. But with new physics you can keep the car in a slide with throttle and steering. In Japan there is D1 grand prix drifting. He would do exactly as he would do in the real car in the game. Watching that was releiving because we know he does the same thing in GT as in real life.
Q: Will you have license tests in GT5: Prologue?
A: No
Q: Penalties because of no damage?
A: Yes, timed or speed penalty, maybe a combination of both to ensure the race is not ruined.
Q: How much time is spent modeling?
A: 6 months for 1 car. 180x longer than GT2
Last edited by Earth : Aug 24 2007 at 6:44 PM.

Last edited:
Upvote 0