• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Stutters

Stuttering here too

Stuttering here too

I am experiencing stuttering too now. It started after I reinstalled Windows XP sp2.

I am also getting BSOD very often now. I wonder if I`ve got some serious hardwareproblems.
Googling hasnt helped me yet.

I did manage to play RO without stutter the first two days after reinstalling. And I have not installed any new drivers after that. After the reinstall of windows I downloaded and installed the latest drivers for my Radeon X850.

Anyway, I just defraged the cachefile now. Gonna have a try at RO now.

-Korporal V

Upvote 0
thx for responding Yoshi!

I`ve been using my AMD XP 3000 cpu with 1.5 gb RAM, and a Radeon X850-card with no problems for about two years now.
A windows update threw my computer in an endless cycle of boot-BSOD-reboot. So I did a reinstall of windows XP. I am running XP service pack 2 with no further updates.

Then I started getting these BSODs, and the stuttering comes and goes "by itself" as far I can tell.
I have a sneaking suspicion that it`s either my harddrive-drivers or the harddrive itself thats causing the troubles. Thats what my tech-friends tells me. The strange thing is that exactly the same thing happenede two years ago. The windows-reinstallment fixed everything that time.

I will probably put a new harddrive in to see if things get better.

I`ve been planning to buy a new computer soon anyway. I`ve got some hard earned money that burns in my pocket!

-Korporal V

Upvote 0
Might be something to do with your Virtual Memory/RAM..if your pc runs out of ram then it will start using your virtual memory (basically just a part of your HD that acts like RAM) - this can make games stuttery because they have to constantly access the HDD. If your pagefile is fragmented you could also get some problems. Try setting your pagefile to 0mb by going to start->controlpanel->system->advanced->settings (first one)->Advanced->check programs are both bulleted and then click change at the bottom then click no pagefile on all harddrives and click set and apply. Now when you restart you should have no pagefile..try playing a game and see if you get stutters..RO might not load but some other games should..if theres no stutters you probably found your problem and can either keep it like that or set a new pagefile at about 1.5x your RAM..you will get a new pagefile thats not fragmented. If you have 2 HDDs then set your primary as about 200mb and your secondary as 1.5x your RAM..games should then mostly use your RAM rather than pagefile. Oh and set the minimum/maximum as the same - don't set it as "let windows manage". If 1.5x doesn't work for RO just keep increasing it till it works.

When you first got those bsods maybe your HHD got corrupted a bit and also messed up your pagefile? Tried a disk scan to check theres no bad sectors?

Also make sure you don't have unnecessary programs running in the background, especially antivirus (but make sure you turn it back on when you finished playing) and also do a search on services.msc on google and set to manual or disabled all the services you don't need to free up some ram.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
stutter update

stutter update

Downloaded and installed Direct X 9.0c June 2007 stand alone installer - no difference.
Tried no pagingfile, and the ones suggested by Melipone - no difference.

I did mention that the stutter happens online only?

Best way to describe it sans a videorecording would be like every fifth or sixth seconds the avatar just stops and an invisible force shakes him for a second or two. Its not your average lag-stutter. I`ve tried to get players on different servers to have a look at my avatar and tell me if I am lagging. But to no avail. I cant get people to respond

I really appreciate your help, and I will keep you posted on the progress of finding a solution on this problem.

- Korporal V

Upvote 0
No packetloss

No packetloss

No packetloss as I can see.

I still get a random BSODs, but not as often as before. Last week I couldnt log on Windows without going through 2-3 BSODs.

In Event Viewer> System I get this message Error - CRT - Invalid display type.
Don`t know if it has anything to do with my problems though. But it seems connected with some of the BSODs.

-Korporal V

Upvote 0
hmmm

hmmm

I just reinstalled RO. Joined a server running Leningrad. Played as a tanker.
In the tank everything went well, but as soon as I exited and ran around on foot, the stutterproblem was still there.

So I logged on a server running Debrecen to see if driving tanks would help, and for some reason it did!

Then I joined several servers as infantry, and everything seems to run ok now!
Well, I am not convinced the problem is over, and I have not become any smarter figuring out this problem.

-Korporal V

Upvote 0
Have you tried a scan of the drive to check its OK? Just click start, my computer, right click the drive then properties, tools, then Check Now. Could be all sorts of things though I suppose..strange that it was OK inside a tank and not on foot.

Tried a defrag of the hard drive?

Tried reinstalling all your drivers? Including motherboard/CPU stuff?

Tried reseating your RAM, CPU, HDD, GPU etc and cleaned away any dust? Tried with just the essentials, no unimportant slots used up etc?

Got any important stuff on that drive backed up on a CD or DVD btw incase its about to die?

Upvote 0
Disc-scans have been done several times, nothing is wrong
Havent reinstalled any drivers though.
I have tried every RAM, one after eachother.

New strange thing happening now. While I am writing this, my mp3 is playing, and everytime I press a key on my keyboard, the music stops. Its like just writing takes a lot of resources from the pc.

Could the onboard soundcard cause troubles like this?

Everything important on my harddrives are backed up. No worries there :)

- Korporal V

Upvote 0
I got a GeForce 7600 GT, took all actions that you guys suggested and must say that I still having the same problem (reinstalling CLEAN driver, verifying game cache, etc). When looking at specific places my FPS goes to 30, sometimes 22. Some of friends from >F|R< are having the same problem too.

Computer specs please, RO likes a fast processor.

Thanks...

Upvote 0