• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Insurgency Mod ... EPIC THREAD OF DOOM

Insurgency Mod ... EPIC THREAD OF DOOM

• It's Great! Check it out...NOW!!!

Votes: 55 26.6%
  • It's just OK -- worth downloading but...

Votes: 95 45.9%
  • It sucks buckets...

Votes: 57 27.5%

• Total voters
I have a bigger belly than Ins, so RO wins,

I'm kidding, I'm drunk anyway. Both are good in their own ways anyway, I wish luck to the to the Ins team. It's a huge undertaking to mod Source their own liking.

Shame they didnt just mod RO:O, would have saved a lot of time and been better overall. I've never really liked the source engine..RO engine is 10x better, has all the stuff INS has except penetration (although it is possible), netcode is better and feels more realistic, graphics..are less sci-fi and more real looking..all source has is decent bloom/hdr and stuff that gets in your way *ahem* sorry I mean "awesome" physics (lol). That commander thing is already in RO, but just doesnt show up on your hud..you have to press O to see that and read the texts..its a gimmick in INS and has no real impact on gameplay above what it does in RO. Suppose its more impressive designing it all by yourself though, so might be better for them long term getting a job designing games.

I quite enjoy INS sometimes though, but it just feels like RO in Iraq but slighly easier and much buggier.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think INS for all it's many faults has an excellent fear of death.

IN RO you feel like you can survive most any encounter with the enemy, so you don't have that same reserve at charging blinding into battle while in INS you feel that if you so much step out of cover you'll get dropped in a single hit. It makes you stay on your toes because you know you don't get any first chances, let alone second ones.

Upvote 0
I think INS for all it's many faults has an excellent fear of death.

IN RO you feel like you can survive most any encounter with the enemy, so you don't have that same reserve at charging blinding into battle while in INS you feel that if you so much step out of cover you'll get dropped in a single hit. It makes you stay on your toes because you know you don't get any first chances, let alone second ones.

Think thats to do with the size of the maps more than difference in game design. Theres usually far fewer routes to cap zones and the distances to enemies is much shorter when you do see someone. Yeah there is one map that feels quite big, but it still only renders stuff like 50-100 metres away. So basically its much easier to spot and shoot people because they are much closer (bigger model to shoot at) and theres fewer places enemies can come from than in RO. Also takes longer to respawn which encourages people to value each life more, and as attackers theres way fewer lives per person compared to RO. The netcode means that people can shoot you where you WHERE, rather than were you will be, so you can move out of cover in RO and back in without getting shot if you are quick, but in INS people can shoot you eventhough you have already moved behind cover, because as long as they point and click on you on THEIR screen they kill you...the ping only comes in when deciding the damage/if they hit rather than when they hit..probably descriped that poorly. The hit points on your model lag a lot behind where you actually are.

Takes just as many shots to kill someone compared to RO from my experience and iron sights come up faster so its easier. I don't hip shoot in INS except with the shotty because the iron sights come up so fast and you move quickly with them up. Its CS but takes only a couple shots to kill and the crosshair is 10x as big and its area style capping rather than CS style objectives. Actually I don't see what the fuss is about iron sights..they are just big crosshairs really..they only add to the game if theres some skill required in deciding when to use them and when not to. In ins theres no real need to not be in iron sights except in the spawn area.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
HL2 is a great sci-fi single player FPS. It has good graphics, sounds and an amazing atmosphere. The physic engine that allows you to move nearly everything around is fun too. The gameplay is quite varied for an FPS, you have urban areas, vehicles, sewers, caves, large open areas (the coastline), the prison, the freaky "zombie" level filled with gore and fun killing devices. It never gets repetitive unlike so many others FPS I played.

The only thing I don't like about HL2 is the ****ty fire cones on the smg and pulse rifle.

I don't understand why anyone could hate HL2 so much. Which single player FPS do you like?

You guys need to stop criticizing how a game is for how it's constructed and look at the actual depth and story and atmosphere of a game. I liked HL2 because it had a fun story, a sweet psuedo-post-apocalyptic world, aliens, and pretty locales.

Upvote 0
I personally love Ins, it`s like modern version of RO but only smoother.
But yeah, Ins should be more realistic, it`s too arcade atm.
All gaming communities have their snobs, realism one have the most (wonder why) and RO is no exception. I`ve seen some of the biggest snobs in RO, Ins and Arma communities.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I remember your posts from a few days ago. Glad you tried the mod with an open mind. Wish more people did that. :)

yeah, I hear you. I try to never pre-judge a game, unless there just so much obvious evidence of it's suckiness or greatness (ala CoD2 re suckiness).

I am really enjoying it. it's my game at the moment. don't see anything dethroning it soon. and heck, it can only get even better!!! :)

Hey, what name do you play under? I am out there as Infidel_Heinz. look for me!! :D

Upvote 0
Shame they didnt just mod RO:O, would have saved a lot of time and been better overall. I've never really liked the source engine..RO engine is 10x better, has all the stuff INS has except penetration (although it is possible), netcode is better and feels more realistic, graphics..are less sci-fi and more real looking..all source has is decent bloom/hdr and stuff that gets in your way *ahem* sorry I mean "awesome" physics (lol). That commander thing is already in RO, but just doesnt show up on your hud..you have to press O to see that and read the texts..its a gimmick in INS and has no real impact on gameplay above what it does in RO. Suppose its more impressive designing it all by yourself though, so might be better for them long term getting a job designing games.

I quite enjoy INS sometimes though, but it just feels like RO in Iraq but slighly easier and much buggier.

Engine ro uses its ok but in my opinion source engine was their better choice attracts more players and looks great if you run on high. Also source engine runs fine with most computers even old ones. Unreal engine also needs more ram then Source engine in source games your fine with just 512mb in ro having 512mb is bearly playable. Only problem i see with source engine is vehicles but for ins i think its fine how it is with one abrams it would one sided.

Upvote 0
Puzzle solving? Where did it require you to solve puzzles?

There is ton of uber-lame puzzle solving in HL2. But you're right, perhaps "puzzle" is not the best term, because those were not real puzzles like in adventure games, it was lamer than that :D

Yeah, like when those rotating saw things went at you but at pre-set intervals so you had to jump in between their intervals bla blah (lame), or when you have to open door A to get to switch B to then open the hatch C then backtrack to door D etc etc blah blah (lame), then when the chopper flew over dropping mines that you had to avoid (wow mega lame and also stupid). Then taking barrels/crates/bricks and using them to climb somewhere etc.

Then designers run out of ideas and made pure 100% brain dead level like them bazillions zombies on the graveyard, but it also had stupid puzzle-like element because you had to keep that stupid dude alive (if there's ONE thing I hate in single player FPS games then it's being responsible for some imbecile AI character and his survival). Then it's back to uber lame puzzles again.

So yeah, those are not really "puzzles" - I just call them that - more like zillion of stupid mini-games. I know those elements of FPS design are with us for ages and will be for ages but HL2 really *really* went too far for my taste. I realized I like good ole "carnival shooter" like COD SP much more then that. I want solid adrenaline experience with lots of noise and shooting in my SP games. If I want to really *think* I'll play MP FPS like RO, or something altogether different.

Upvote 0
Played HL2 once... Might fire it up soon

Fantastic idea.

However, if you hate shooting zombies off rooftops, speeding across sand dunes while pwning man-eating bugs, flying through canals in a fanboat while dodging/wrecking numerous enemies, setting enemies on fire, or shooting incredibly cool gunships and walking tanks with an RPG, then please don't play (the game has a lot of crappy stuff like that);)

Upvote 0
sharpshooterklj said:
However, if you hate shooting zombies off rooftops, speeding across sand dunes while pwning man-eating bugs, flying through canals in a fanboat while dodging/wrecking numerous enemies, setting enemies on fire, or shooting incredibly cool gunships and walking tanks with an RPG, then please don't play (the game has a lot of crappy stuff like that);)
0mgz, that sounds sooo unrealistic.. best left alone.. >_>

Upvote 0