• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Insurgency Mod ... EPIC THREAD OF DOOM

Insurgency Mod ... EPIC THREAD OF DOOM

• It's Great! Check it out...NOW!!!

Votes: 55 26.6%
  • It's just OK -- worth downloading but...

Votes: 95 45.9%
  • It sucks buckets...

Votes: 57 27.5%

• Total voters
HDR is a well known FPS killer which should be turned off on nearly all rigs.

Exactly- it seems the majority of people I hear complaining about FPS in servers haven't even looked at their graphics settings. When I installed most settings were on high, with AA and AF set at 4x AND HDR turned on- thats a lot of detail right there! I bumped up my res to 1280x1024, turned off HRD, turned off shadows, turned off AA/AF BEFORE I started the game, and everything was spiffy.

As most have already said- good job to the INS team! They released a darn good game on their first release. Sure people will criticize them for having bugs, glitches, etc, but EVERY beta 1.0 I've played has been like that. Who remembers beta RO 1.0? We could only play Berlin, there were bulletproof bushes, zombies appeared in the spawn, there were blue actors used for scaling left over in alot of the maps... plus the FPS was killer.

I'm anxious to see how the INS team handles all of the community feedback. IMO, they should stick to their current course and develop the game how they see fit. When the excitement over a new release dies down, they should see what their "long term" community suggests and take those ideas into consideration. Far too many people want the game to be RO, or DOD:S, or CS, or BF2. I think INS currently has a unique niche in their choice of game play and theater of operations.

Upvote 0
Your screenshot does not look like a "real city" AT ALL. Or to be more precise - screenshot such as it is looks fine as postcard thanks to all those buildings in the background, but the map shown on the picture does not look or play real. Cramped, contrived, streets are not nearly wide enough, cars thrown around (I've never seen cars thrown around as if some giants played football with them?), squares (like the one on the pic above) ar far too small etc etc.

On some RO maps I feel as if I am in the realistically modelled virtual world, in INS I feel as if I am in the video game level (which is not always bad, but I already have that in CSS and COD2).

40594b511f323-72-1.jpg

Looks quite alike to me.

INS has great level design, period. You mention a modern combat FPS that models Iraqi cities more realistically than INS. You probably can't. Iraq has wide streets, but also smaller and "cramped" streets. INS chooses to model the smaller streets. Got a problem with that? This is a good choice actually - makes for some great intense firefights.

Complain about the bugs, or the movement, whatever. But the level design is good. So you are wrong, sir.

I have no fps problems at all btw, and that's with everything on max.

Upvote 0
As far as hitboxes are concerned, the Source engine has painfully inadequate hitdetection and it all stems from their insistence on trying to implement antilag devices. It's well intentioned, but the result is a complete pain in the arse. The main problem Ins has right now is that for reasons unknown, the game has shipped with a default cl_interp value of 0.017, which basically means it's set for 170ms ping. Even CS et al only have a default of 0.01 (still too damn high), but 0.017 is crazy. Since 90% of people are playing on low ping servers, they're able to fire behind a player and provided that they passed that point within the last 170ms, you'll score a hit. It's basically a safety buffer for players with poor aim or reaction time, which is not what it's SUPPOSED to be.

Valve could fix the problem by making it a dynamically updated value based on ping, but they don't care about their engine being useful for internet gaming. Just so long as it looks pretty.
Well that's positively idiotic. No wonder when I played DODS I could kill someone just by pointing the gun in their general direction. It's pretty apparent what kind of gamers valve are catering to then (low skilled players). So why haven't INS guys fixed it? Do they like the easy kills? I thought they were striving for realism? BOOM HEADSHOT! Hey, well like that's so hard to do when the hitbox is gigantic+ occupies space both in the present & past!:rolleyes: That's a great idea, even one armed, one eyed, and 2 fingers left (the pinky & thumb) on the one hand Granny can get her kills in with that system in place. That way nobody feels left out because we all know competitive games are ALL about bear hugs all around and making sure everyone is included regardless of their skill. This futher solidifies my dislike for the source engine. The engine is a total joke for competitive gaming and should just be used as a renderer for graphic presentations.

Upvote 0
I played on a server last night with a couple of what I believe were (INS) guys and I think maybe a tester or two, (you can tell by the conversation).

Effective team work is there to be had !

Funny quote : "the trouble with CS kiddies is that they think teamwork is running around in bunches"

I think I like the game, lets hope they can keep it up.

I don't have any real FPS problems, in fact I've turned Bloom & Color correction back on.

E6400 duo 2 + 7900gs.

Waiting for the update like everybody else.

Upvote 0
Funny quote : "the trouble with CS kiddies is that they think teamwork is running around in bunches"

at least my grenade ratio is somewhat positive that way.

this made me think of the m203 and my sight issues.
using the m203 from the hip is easier imo. you can get the feel for it more quickly than using these damn ironsights which get you killed indoors anyway. it

Upvote 0
[...]You mention a modern combat FPS that models Iraqi cities more realistically than INS. [...]
That wouldn't prove anything, it would only mean that they would be better, but it'd nothing about it's degree of realism. Better does not necessarily mean good.

@Greasemonkey Well but most mod teams do not hype their mod that much and do like it'd be the second coming. They set they high bar themselves and I don't think they made it.

Upvote 0
Re: FPS issues, I turned all my settings to "off" or "low" and my framerate actually dropped. I didn't think it was possible to get lower than "sweet **** all" but apparently I was wrong. I already had HDR, colour correction, FSAA and MSAF turned off though. Those being on really make things worse.

On the topic of level design, the problem is not the narrow streets (well, much) since the engine is clearly incapable of anything more. It's more to do with the linearity of maps. Each map acts as a filter towards predetermined "hotspots" where the idea is that there'll be mass carnage before one team finally breaks through. You don't feel like you're in a real environment, more like an artificial maze.

The result is that with one team getting limited respawns on most maps, it means that they have to be significantly better than the other team to stand a chance. It's like playing Kaukasus, but with the Germans only getting 5 lives each. Except that Kaukasus gives you options whereas the tunnel on Karkar is a one-way tunnel of death, or leaving spawn on Almadan requires crossing a killing zone.

Basically they look pretty (in the fine details), but they're not designed with tactical gameplay in mind. They remind me a lot of the early DoD beta maps. They'll learn though. It may take a few goes, but they'll get there.

Upvote 0
Well, I've got everything on its lowest, on a resolution of 800x600, and by god, the framerate seems to have gone even worse then before.
I dont know what is wrong with that engine at all, sometimes it runs great with everything on highest, other times it sucks balls with everything on highest and even more balls with everything on lowest lol.

The engine does not seem stable at all, unlike UE2.5 or similar.
Unreal engines have allways been smooth IMO, no weird problems like with this abomination of an engine. It has some nice graphical touches and some good physics, but IMO its not optimised at all.

Upvote 0
Thats really amusing to hear. I remember very well the dozens of threads on the RO beta forums about how terrible the FPS was and how no one could play the game. There were tons of "how to"s on increasing your FPS, some people switched to OpenGL, but most just complained.

The game is beta 1.0, and the team has some learning to do. I'm still pleased overall with the game.

I am VERY happy to see that they have bullet penetration! Holy crap! finally people cant hide behind sheetrock walls, wooden pallets, or aluminum doors.

Upvote 0
Well, I've got everything on its lowest, on a resolution of 800x600, and by god, the framerate seems to have gone even worse then before.
I dont know what is wrong with that engine at all, sometimes it runs great with everything on highest, other times it sucks balls with everything on highest and even more balls with everything on lowest lol.
Yeah, it's been noted by a lot of people, myself included. All I can imagine is that by turning the detail down it not only lowers those settings, but must also start shifting processes off the video card and onto the CPU to try and reduce as much load as possible. It's a nice idea, but usually the performance issues are CPU related rather than anything else in the first place.

Something to add to the performance issues - it's not just the maps it would seem. Certainly they aren't helping the problem, but the main issue appears to be the number of poly's used in the player models. Just one or two within the engine's field of view (not the same as the player's fov) are enough to bring framerates crashing down. If they really want to help performance, they need to add low poly versions and allow them to be toggled. It would make a huge difference. It also shouldn't really take much out of the bug fixing process, as the modelers aren't really doing anything else atm and haven't been for quite a while now.

Upvote 0
Something to add to the performance issues - it's not just the maps it would seem. Certainly they aren't helping the problem, but the main issue appears to be the number of poly's used in the player models. Just one or two within the engine's field of view (not the same as the player's fov) are enough to bring framerates crashing down. If they really want to help performance, they need to add low poly versions and allow them to be toggled. It would make a huge difference. It also shouldn't really take much out of the bug fixing process, as the modelers aren't really doing anything else atm and haven't been for quite a while now.
That's unfortunate, because the Insurgents models look hilariously bad. They need to fix the legs...and eyes.

Upvote 0