• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tom(my) and Jerry?

I ask myself this stuff since CoD2 (Africa Levels:rolleyes:) and Mare Nostrum brought it back into my mind.

Easy question:

Where are the nicknames for the Germans and Brits coming from.

For the germans it could be something like the first syllable "ger" and then attaching the "ry" doesn't need to much fantasy imo. I my thoughts this would make sense. That could be a way how the Germans got the nickname "Gerry" or "Jerry" from the Britsh.

But where does the nickname of the Germans for the Brits come from? I mean "Tommy", did they watch the cartoons? And Fritz said to his comrades well "If we are Jerry for them, then they are Tommys for us. You know the little mouse wins always" I don't know if I have to much fanatasy but it sounds kind of reasonable.
Not like the theory that Germany lost the Second World War because they drank too much Fanta like someone stated on the Wild Bunch Server yesterday.

I know that ItaKa (the German nickname for the Italians) is the short word of (like StuKa, Sturzkampfbomber) "Italienischer Kamerad" (Italian Comrade).

Does anyone know where these nicknames are coming from?

Wiki to the rescue.

ommy Atkins (often just Tommy) is a term for a common soldier in the British Army that is particularly associated with World War I. German soldiers would call out to Tommy across no man's land if they wished to speak to a British soldier. French and Commonwealth troops would also call British soldiers "Tommies". In more recent times, the term Tommy Atkins has been used less frequently, although the name "Tom" is occasionally still heard, especially with regard to paratroopers.
and
Tommy Atkins has been used as a generic name for a common soldier for many years. The precise origin is a subject of debate, but it is known to have been used as early as 1743. A letter sent from Jamaica about a mutiny amongst the troops says "except for those from N. America (mostly Irish Papists) ye Marines and Tommy Atkins behaved splendidly".

More info here

Upvote 0
the french called the germs, "bosh" from the company name. or les "fritz"

That turns out not to be the case. (Which is a polite way of saying 'BS' :p)

French slang for a German is Boche. It is a shortened form of Alboche - which was used in the 19th Century to deride the supposed obstinacy and pigheadedness of the Germans. This was, in turn, from the slang phrase, T

Upvote 0
I always thought the nickname Jerry was something to do with German helmets looking like bed pans- or something, but i dont know a name for a chamber pot that sounds like Jerry so i may be getting a bit confused.

Yep, some say it comes from the old 19th century slang term for a large chamberpot - 'jeroboam' or 'jerry' for short - because of the shape of the German WW1 helmets, and the name stuck through into WW2.

(Another slang term for a chamberpot was 'gazunda', 'cos it goes under the bed :)).

Upvote 0
Yep, some say it comes from the old 19th century slang term for a large chamberpot - 'jeroboam' or 'jerry' for short - because of the shape of the German WW1 helmets, and the name stuck through into WW2.

(Another slang term for a chamberpot was 'gazunda', 'cos it goes under the bed :)).

Perhaps "Jerry" is a form of Jeroboam (the Idolatroous King of Israel), a reference to Jerry's tendency to ignore the warnings of the Prophets of Judea
even when the Kaisar's hand shrivelled up (The last Kaisar did have a shriveled hand just like Jerobaom had when Jehovah smote him for idolatry).

Or a reference to the amount of pissing required (a play on drink and bed pans and perhaps the idolatry of bedpans) to relieve one's self of a lot of drink.

http://www.champagnemagic.com/sizes.htm

Upvote 0