• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A few questions about gameplay...

NoxNoctum

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 15, 2007
Well my pass just expired today, so of course I dished out the $20 and got ROO :).

Anyways, I've got a handle on many things so far, and am getting quite proficient at racking up kills with the bolts.

BUT, a few questions:

1. Does bayonet reduce the accuracy/increase sway of sight in any way? I've gotten as many answers to this question in-game as I've asked it.
2. Is there any reason I *would* want the bayonet on there as I can still melee with the butt of the rifle? (apart from the idea of stabbing someone with a knife on your rifle being awesome)
3. Does holding down the melee attack before attacking result in an instant kill (i.e. is a held down melee attack more powerful than a quick jab)?
4. In general, should I put the sight just above or just below an infantry target at long range (i.e. on kryokovo)? Just above seems to be working well for me, but I want some expert opinions ;).
5. How do I change from AP to HE and back in a tank?

Well my pass just expired today, so of course I dished out the $20 and got ROO :).

Anyways, I've got a handle on many things so far, and am getting quite proficient at racking up kills with the bolts.

BUT, a few questions:

1. Does bayonet reduce the accuracy/increase sway of sight in any way? I've gotten as many answers to this question in-game as I've asked it.
2. Is there any reason I *would* want the bayonet on there as I can still melee with the butt of the rifle? (apart from the idea of stabbing someone with a knife on your rifle being awesome)
3. Does holding down the melee attack before attacking result in an instant kill (i.e. is a held down melee attack more powerful than a quick jab)?
4. In general, should I put the sight just above or just below an infantry target at long range (i.e. on kryokovo)? Just above seems to be working well for me, but I want some expert opinions ;).

1. Having the bayonet on increases the rate at wich you get sway faster. It's a bit heavier at the end of your rifle, and it will make your arms tire a bit faster.
2. The reason you want a bayonet over the riflebutt is it's increased length. The bayonet reachers farther then the butt of your rifle, and thus you could kill for example a person with an empty mp40 charging you with his butt on a relatively safe distance.
3. Only if you hit the right place (torso, head). Arms and legs will not have the immediate death effect, as they are not 'vital' parts to the body and can take some punishment without you dying immediately.
4. With a rifle, i tend to aim just on the target. There is so much power behind the bolt that the bullet won't go down very much, or not at all.
I can hit every target on Kryukovo for example, who is just on the farthest sightrange on that map (being just a small silhouette in the distance).
5. That, i dont know :p but why would you want to be in a tank, when it has no bayonet? :D Infantry all the way! :D

Upvote 0
1. I wouldn't venture an opinion here.
2. Yes, greater melee attack range. Especially with the old Mosin.
3. Apprently yes. With the butt it's to be to the head or to the torso, me thinks.
4. I tend to aim >on< the pixel, unless it's just a single pixel, then slightly above. ;)
5. Change fire mode, the same key you use to switch from single to auto fire on the StG-44. Mind you, you have to select the type of next round before you fire your current shot. Unless you're playing Armoured Beasts, then reloading is manual, not automatic and you can always make sure you've got the right type of shell in the tube.

Upvote 0

Here's another unofficial answer: Barely if at all. I find myself hitting long shots more reliably with the bayo off, but at all other ranges I can tell no difference.

Seems to me that bayonet not only has greater melee range, but also a faster rate of stabbing than rifle-butt attacks.

Holding it down seems to help with kills, but only about a second or so is necessary. What makes a much bigger difference (1 stab kills every time) is going for the head. Head-stab. If you're stabbing a prone person, aim for the front of his face.

With a non-scoped rifle you'll probably find that you need no elevation adjustment, the things are accurate as hell. With the sniper rifle, you'll be taking longer shots and you'll be noticing the bullet drop, and will have to adjust up a bit.

On the other hand, with the MG42, at long range I've noticed that I get kills more reliably when I aim below my target. I fire in short-burp bursts for a shotgun effect, and it must be the recoil that raises my burst into the right spot... I can nail guys very far away if I aim lower than I think I should.

Default tank gunner ammo switchout key is X, same as the Stg44's select-fire.

Upvote 0

Regarding melee attacks: the bayonet not only has more range, but is definitely more lethal. Usually two stabs to the torso area will kill an opponent. If you stab while running, you'll always kill with one hit! Also, one stab to the head kills every time.

To sum it up; killing a foe (who's aware of your presence) with the buttstock is quite difficult, whereas the bayonet on the other hand is a very trusty and efficient close-quarters weapon.

Upvote 0