• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Free steam 10 day passes for gamming communities

Remo

Jun 21, 2007
If you agree with this idea , bump this post pls.

I administrate an adult online gaming community http://www.thetgc.org/forum/ , and i have to say since buying your game and giving the free passes away so far 6 members have purchased the game. Which is good...

However the problem is alot of other members would like to try it out, and there are not enough passes to go around, (members do as they wish with their passes and some have brothers friends ect... )

In the interests of helping you promote your game and sell more units i have the following suggestion.

Give clans and gaming communities as many free passes as they need for members and even clan friends. One shot deal per clan

Have a requirement like proving you are an active clan like a homepage and clan forum ect...

The way i see it is you people have an untapped market, as one member said
" i tried it alone and it was a good game but playing it with clanmates with teamwork, just takes it over the top.

Giving gaming communities access to mass amounts of 10 day free trials, will allow people who already know how to work together to try it out together. This sells the game big time, for example if i had enough free trials for my members al least 3/4 would buy and the rest would probably just pick it up later to play with friends. Its a sure sell and alot of communities out there would agree, just set up a few safeguards to avoid abuse.

Having the trial all at the same time for a clan would make a huge difference dont underestimate this, In the future if this works as well as it should, maybe even make it so that all the accounts in the trial are activated when the clan leader activates it. that way a clan could take a couple of weeks to distribute the free trials to all concerned, giving clan members time to install it, but could not play it until a start date thats best for all. In the meantime accounts could be preinstalled and the passes all released by the clan on activation day.

If your deal with steam is for a limited amount of free passes then i really suggest you shift some of those passes to this idea. You can use our community as a test :D

Also if you do consider this suggestion consider upping the "Clan" pass to 16 days so clans can have 3 full weekends to try it out. Alot of members in clans with RL and work/school can usually only group up for many hours at a time on week ends.

thanks and great game, you can see the TLC in every detail.

<|TGC|Remo>

Last edited:
Very nice people in this community offering me passes thanks guys, maybe this can work out too

you can email me the passes at [email protected] thanks again

got 2, PM if you want 'em.

i think this is a good idea. but, i dont see TWI giving out "mass amounts" of free passes to all clans. maybe they could give out like 30 to each clan or so?

well since 99% of clans out there have less that 50 members, that shouldnt be a problem, as for clans with more than 50 members , maybe being that big they deserve special consideration, if a clan has 200 members and just half buy thats a 2000$ sale for timed demo's. which have no value beyond the 10 day period anyways....

Game longevity is with the clans not the solo gamers, the game has been out long enough for a shift in sales focus, it will help keep the games's community active longer if more clans get involved.

Also dont forget alot of communities like mine want something good not too expensive to play as a community, even if its not the main focus of a particular community. But getting members involved one at a time is way harder than a mass tryout.

I know i introduce games to our community regularly, and those that get adopted the most are those that have a multiplayer demo that the whole community can schedule and try out as a group.

This game as great as it is has a heavier learning curve than a crap run an gun shooter, clans working together during the tryout can make that curve less steep.

Best would be a 1 map multiplayer demo(leningrad ftw!!).... but i guess its too late in the game's release to release a demo.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I dunno..I would like to think of these guest passes as over on the 30th (they expire then I think). Its been great and everyone who wanted to try the game and could be bothered trying to get a pass has had a chance to give it a go. Theres been such a change in the servers the last month with the people on the servers - so much tking, so much rude behaviour, lack of teamwork, CS style chatting (OMG HACKER, NOOB, OWNED etc). I think its time to let the community settle again with just the people who decided to buy it. Maybe do more guest passes sometime in the future but not yet.

Its great for people who really want to give RO a try, but I bet theres a bunch of people who have just seen it as a free greifing experience. Just get a steam account, get a trial pass and then be ****s on the servers. Anyone who genuinely wanted to try the game has had ample time to try it.

Upvote 0
oh well seems i cant get more than one pass per email....
really have to simplify this, its too bad i have a bunch of members all waiting for a try out.

i think you can get one in a 24 hour period of time. cuz it wouldnt let me send you both at the same time. i got a message saying that i have to wait 24 hours between sending the pass to the same person.

Upvote 0
I dunno..I would like to think of these guest passes as over on the 30th (they expire then I think). Its been great and everyone who wanted to try the game and could be bothered trying to get a pass has had a chance to give it a go. Theres been such a change in the servers the last month with the people on the servers - so much tking, so much rude behaviour, lack of teamwork, CS style chatting (OMG HACKER, NOOB, OWNED etc). I think its time to let the community settle again with just the people who decided to buy it. Maybe do more guest passes sometime in the future but not yet.​

Its great for people who really want to give RO a try, but I bet theres a bunch of people who have just seen it as a free greifing experience. Just get a steam account, get a trial pass and then be ****s on the servers. Anyone who genuinely wanted to try the game has had ample time to try it.​

All the more reason to focus on the clans and communities, people tend to behave alot more when they belong to a clan than the lone wolf types.

Our clan just got introduced to RO when the 10 map server expansion patch came out last month, i bought it and since then ive gotten 6 members out of 30ish involved, we have about 300 registered users in a game oriented community thats been around for more than a year with over 20000 posts , were pretty active, but the internet gaming world is huge!! and it would be a mistake to think youve tapped all the potential quality RO players out there.

Upvote 0
Anyone could get a free pass though then long as they registered with the community/clan. I think there would be a lot of people registering with the clan/community just for the free pass. Also how would you know you could trust the person you gave all those passes to?

Yeah there could be decent people who are given a chance to try RO, but IMO, the game is quite well known already..pretty much anyone interested in a deeper challenge than your average game would have heard of RO by now and given it a try.

Upvote 0
tbh from your previous post it seems that your more interested in having peace and quite ingame, than in expanding the game's community. And thats a totally different arguement, than whether or not there should be more passes for this game given out to communities. And whether they might abuse ect...

I can understand the frustration of noobs and griefers, thats why a demo usually helps with this, the noobs make their bones there and by the time they get the game theres less bs, anyways.

In alot of the posts here, it seems most of the senior members and longtime players are fed up of danzig, maybe the devs should release that as a demo map...

Upvote 0
tbh from your previous post it seems that your more interested in having peace and quite ingame, than in expanding the game's community. And thats a totally different arguement, than whether or not there should be more passes for this game given out to communities. And whether they might abuse ect...

As long as TW only gave out a limited amount, and to a person they knew would use them responsibly, and there were rules about who the person would give them to (people who have been in the community for a few months at least) then the idea would be OK. But once TW hand them over theres a lot of trust placed in people they don't really know. They could end up on Ebay for eg or given to anyone who asks for them (who might just want to tk or cheat) etc. Not all clans/gaming communities are run by responsible, decent people. How would TW choose who to give them to? Just people already in a community like RO's? Wouldn't they already have heard of RO and had a chance in the last month to try it out?

I'm all for expanding the community (just look at my posts outside this thread), but not at the expense of the people already playing it, unless its a short term thing like the last/next month.

Upvote 0