• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
Yep, Halftracks are a pain in the ***. Took one out with 5 shots to the side, lol. You'd think that even though there is no ammo, 5 high explosive rounds ripping through the halftrack would effectively "destroy" it by killing the crew. Would be neat if a PTRD shell could go through the halftrack and kill soldiers on the inside. Any way this could be modeled or is that just in dream land?

Upvote 0
What high explosive rounds are you talking about?!??!?! They are tungsten core AP rounds, IIRC.

And you should be able (in a perfect game world :( ) to shoot a halftrack in its side all day long, it shouldn't explode, the round would either puncture one or both sides (or bounce off, depending on distance/angle), but you should be able to kill off the passengers, even if determined by a random chance only....

Upvote 0
Yeah I've always wanted crew casualties on at least the half track and other light transport vehicles. Why not simply add a "internal object" like the ammo and engine on the tanks for every place where a person would sit. Then if that area gets hit in a penetration you could just have anybody sitting in the hit slot(s) die.
It could be added to tanks too so instead of fighting until one tank explodes from damage or a critical, tank battles would be shorter and more deadly like in reality.
This would be good for the "super track" problem where the PTRD can knock out the engine but not destroy it easily (like real life), the gun shield would protect the gunner from small arms but the PTRD would penetrate and kill him. The same for the driver and passengers.
This could all be dream land stuff though...

Upvote 0
Yes if the PTRD penetrates into the crew compartment of a vehicle it will kill anything in its way, further more after it penetrates it will have reduced energy and may start bouncing around inside the compartment causing more casualties.
The main use of the PTRD is to disable vulnerable components of a vehicles (sights, tracks, engine etc..) or cause injury to its crew, much like all other AT weapons of WW2. Total destruction of a tank rarely happened, the crew was either injured or killed or some important part of the tank is damaged leading to it being abandoned.
This is a defining unrealism in RO where you must totally destroy a vehicle to knock it out, you cannot kill crew or disable anything other than locomotion systems.

Upvote 0
What I would like to see is a diagram of the various tanks and where to shoot them for effect. I've seen this on other games, and it helps.

Especially I'd like to know where to shoot a tank to track it. Obviously the tracks somewhere (tread, wheel, etc) but I've tried and failed many times, so I'd appreciate a pointer.

Being an aware player, it would be very handy sometimes when stalking an enemy tank to be able to immobilize it on demand if I have a PTRD. Especially the StuG and Su76.

Upvote 0
There are spec sheets in the download section detailing the fuel and ammo locations of all the tanks from the front and side profiles.
To disable a half track just hit it in the engine area (preferably in the grill if it's head on).
To disable a tank hit the tracks themselves (from the head on or behind position) if you see a penetration hit effect it has probably disabled it. I don't know if you can disable the tracks from the side, but side shots are able to hit the ammo or fuel easily on the PZ3, 4 and stug. By looking a the spec sheets you will see that the ammo storage for the PZ3 and stug is in the same place (just below the upper track line and just forward of the middle upper wheel) and on the Pz4 the shovel on the right side is where to aim, by hitting and penetrating at this place the PTRD will one hit kill these tanks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0