• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A cheap way to have supersonic bullets hit before you hear them...

KrazyKraut

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Beer capital of the world
Just thought of this. Since all guns in RO have a muzzle velocity past 330m/s the bullet should strike you before it hits you, especially when you are shot from a long distance away. We all know that.

Now, afaik we have two sounds for each gun: "close" and "distant". To achieve the effect described above... why not add half a second (or maybe less) of silence to the beginning of each "distant" sound? I know it's not the realistic way to do it, but it's easy and might work just as well.

Unfortunately it's not quite that easy. It would probably work if we only had bolt actions, but when someone would fire a smg or semi in rapid succession the result would be a much slower firing sound and it would sound really weird for guns like the ppsh41.

I don't think we already have this, if so it would have been done another way and I sure haven't noticed it. The only way to do this would probably be to tell the game to add a delay before you hear the distant sounds, but i'm no programmer so I don't really know what im talking about. ;)

Upvote 0
Unfortunately it's not quite that easy. It would probably work if we only had bolt actions, but when someone would fire a smg or semi in rapid succession the result would be a much slower firing sound and it would sound really weird for guns like the ppsh41.

No it wouldn't. Think about it: If i let off two shots in rapid succession you (far away) would still hear two shots in rapid succession... only with a delay before the first shot. Only the timespan that passes between the two shots being triggered is relevant to how long they seem apart... with or without this feature. Besides that all autos have a loop-sound anyway (meaning only one sound is triggered, even if you hear 30 shots).

But if this is already in, like moz said, forget it anyway.

Upvote 0
Why this?

It could be done client-sided and realistically without any lag issues. (Well, perhaps a little chance of framerate drops on sub 1GHz PC's)

I believe the ballistics system projects trajectories, so if your PC detects it's near (using a cone shaped area where this works) it emits a crack.

And the sound of the gun itself, isn't the delay in the game already?

Upvote 0
Just thought of this. Since all guns in RO have a muzzle velocity past 330m/s the bullet should strike you before it hits you, especially when you are shot from a long distance away. We all know that.

Now, afaik we have two sounds for each gun: "close" and "distant". To achieve the effect described above... why not add half a second (or maybe less) of silence to the beginning of each "distant" sound? I know it's not the realistic way to do it, but it's easy and might work just as well.

Im working on this one. Actually I suggested this in the supersonic crack thread a while ago.

Upvote 0

That made me laugh :D

Just ignore me, carry on.

Upvote 0
Why this?

It could be done client-sided and realistically without any lag issues. (Well, perhaps a little chance of framerate drops on sub 1GHz PC's)

I believe the ballistics system projects trajectories, so if your PC detects it's near (using a cone shaped area where this works) it emits a crack.

And the sound of the gun itself, isn't the delay in the game already?

We already have one cylinder around each player for the bullet-near-by-effects, i think making the engine more complicated for a rather minor thing is not the best way to go. RO already has pretty mediocre performance for some players, esp. when keeping in mind that it runs on a rather old engine.

Upvote 0
Do you even know what you are talking about?
Sub 1 GHz machines can't even run this game and even if they can I doubt the framerate could drop any further...;)
It's doable, although you gotta have at least 1GB RAM memory.

I believe I played it on a 733MHz Pentium 3 with a GeForce FX 5600 Ultra...

Upvote 0