• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How is it to get killed by a PTRD-round?

Damn, you're right!:(
Maybe it's to early, to expect realistic sound-behaviour, with today's hard- and softwares.

I do not think it is problem of today HW. Question is if it would be working good in game... I think that I would not be sure if my sound card is not "laging" or something like that if this feature would be used:) but defiinately it would be interesting.

Upvote 0
Firstly, it shouldn't always be a one-shot kill, what if you only hit their finger or toe, or grazed the guy's man-boobs? Let the game physics decide, and realize that they represent innumerable variables, any one of which can turn your one-shot kill into a scratch. Usually you will get the one-shot kill, as with rifles.

Secondly, I've noticed that artillery DOES have the delayed sound effect, unlike tank rounds. Laying arty on berezina from 1st line to 2nd, there was noticeable delay from visible to audible artillery hits. I imagine they've doctored the tank sound creation spot a bit so you know if you hit anything.

Upvote 0
Well, Leningrad is one map, where I stick to my intended anti-tank role with this weapon!
Who will get those tanks otherwise?
And Smolensk...there's this halftrack, which sometimes needs a reminder, but usually it's been driven around without doing much harm, so I focus on MG-ers.
And on Arad (maybe even the one with real forests), once you made it accross the river towards S-Village, you have plenty of armour-targets. :D

BlackDayJuly could use some anti-tank roles, though...at least, the version that's been hosted by 50-player servers.

Upvote 0
Firstly, it shouldn't always be a one-shot kill, what if you only hit their finger or toe, or grazed the guy's man-boobs? Let the game physics decide, and realize that they represent innumerable variables, any one of which can turn your one-shot kill into a scratch. Usually you will get the one-shot kill, as with rifles.

Secondly, I've noticed that artillery DOES have the delayed sound effect, unlike tank rounds. Laying arty on berezina from 1st line to 2nd, there was noticeable delay from visible to audible artillery hits. I imagine they've doctored the tank sound creation spot a bit so you know if you hit anything.

First off if the PTRD was aimed at your hand.. you wouldnt lose a finger, you would lose the whole hand, just because the round would hit your bone, shatter it to pieces, have the bullet and shattered bone rip through.... After that the only thing thats left is part of the shattered bone in the arm.... Its a bloody mess...

A PTRD round would be somewhat equivalent to the .50 sniper rifle today... Ever see someone get hit by one of those... YOU CANT LIVE FROM THAT SHOT!! Because whatever it hits, it destroys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2fPdE9NwP0

:D

Upvote 0
You hardly need that kind of cals to do that kind of damage. Even a lowly 5.56 nato do some scary damage due to its speed and tumbling bullet design. The type of bullets used in the 14,5mm PTRD rounds was tungsten and they travelled insanely fast as well. Chances are that they'd actually go quite clean through softer targets as the bullets themselves where so heavy and had such speed, they would not deform into a mushroom shape or similar tissue-wrecking shapes as many kinds of bullets do. How much damage they'd do I'm uncertain of, but they'd certainly make huge holes ;)

Upvote 0
I've personally been shot ingame by PTRDs and shot others with it many times aswell and it was always a 1-shot-kill. What you've experienced must be very rare.

It's pretty damn common actually. Last night I shot a guy at mediumish range. I saw the blood and I saw him start limping so I clearly hit. It's only a bit rarer than me stabbing someone in the back with a charged up bayonet, only for them to spin around and shoot me. That also happened to me last night :(

Upvote 0
It is very common and its BS! All Im asking for is the PTRD to be a one hit kill on infantry, not vehicles.... its the infantry that are a PTRDs undoing... Because if you miss that first shot, its all over.... a bolt, semi, or smg will kill you with no problem at all, by the time you even load a second round in the gun...:mad:

Upvote 0
I think he means that for example, when you blow up a tank in the distance, you'd see the explosion first, and then hear the explosion go off 1 second or more later, because the sound had to travel to you.
This was also there for bullets, you'd see the enemy fire from a long range, then a second later you actually hear his gun go off.
Allthough there is no bullet-cracking.
Yup. That was one of the best features of OFP and a very realistic one at that.

Upvote 0
This was also there for bullets, you'd see the enemy fire from a long range, then a second later you actually hear his gun go off.
Allthough there is no bullet-cracking.

Actually it only applied with explosion. Firearms always had that the moment it was shot you could hear it instantly. E.G. if someone shot to you like 500-700m away you could hear the sound instantly before the bullet actually got there.

With the case of an explosion it had 'realistic' sound traveling in general. (talking 'bout OFP)

Upvote 0
I'm well aware of what a supersonic round can do, and no, if it hits you in the finger, you will not lose your entire arm or whatever.

It's pretty damn common actually. Last night I shot a guy at mediumish range. I saw the blood and I saw him start limping so I clearly hit.

You clearly hit... his leg. Maybe his little toe. Doesn't mean you're a bad shot, doesn't mean the PTRD isn't doing enough damage (seen legs taken off plenty of times with it). Just means your luck went south on that shot, happens all the time with every weapon.

Overall, it's usually a one-hit kill... just like the other rifles. Unlike the other rifles, that one hit can take off a limb, but doesn't necessarily do that every time. There is no problem.

Upvote 0
If a ptrd hit's your head or chest cavity you are dead immediatly, won't feel a thing. Just wondering what you are doing infront of st. peter.

Other than that you're probally going to die painfully and horribly

What kind of question is this? how old are you? why do you wonder?

Join the army if you are that interested.

Upvote 0
It is very common and its BS! All Im asking for is the PTRD to be a one hit kill on infantry, not vehicles.... its the infantry that are a PTRDs undoing... Because if you miss that first shot, its all over.... a bolt, semi, or smg will kill you with no problem at all, by the time you even load a second round in the gun...:mad:

I don't remember a time in which I haven't one hit killed infantry with ptrd. maybe you missed?

Upvote 0