• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO-Leningrad?

Dieters

Nov 12, 2006
Hey all,

After the patch finished installing today, I tried hopping onto a server running RO-Leningrad. Much to my surprise, the map started downloading, and it was going to take quite a while - the map clocks in at around 75MB!

I was under the assumption that this map was included in the latest update. Why is RO trying to download the map? Shouldn't I already have it from the update?

Lastly, can someone hook me up with a link to the final release of the map? I'm sure it'd be a bit quicker to DL it from the net as opposed to from one of the servers.

Dieters / Praetorian[TT]

Yeah the offical version of the map is way better than the fan one. less bugs and lots more detail. It's easly on par with Danzig in the way it's layed out and how it plays.

Absolutely wrong. They screwed it over. Not only did they drastically increase grenade distrubution and screw with the lighting, but worst of all, they eliminated the finite tanks that truly set it apart from the rest more than anything else. Destroying an enemy tank used to be a decisive accomplishment; now it means nothing.

Upvote 0
Absolutely wrong. They screwed it over. Not only did they drastically increase grenade distrubution and screw with the lighting, but worst of all, they eliminated the finite tanks that truly set it apart from the rest more than anything else. Destroying an enemy tank used to be a decisive accomplishment; now it means nothing.
I like to disagree. :)
It certainly means something...the presence of tanks! OMG!:eek:
What you want, is an army that brings only 1 tank into Leningrad...well, sortof.:D

Upvote 0
I agree with him.

Before the "official version" it was a very delicate balance between tanks supporting infantry and infantry supporting tanks. Once one side was out of tank respawns, the other side had a decisive advantage, so protecting one's own tanks from being close-assaulted was very important.

Now this is all gone.

Upvote 0
Yeah the offical version of the map is way better than the fan one. less bugs and lots more detail. It's easly on par with Danzig in the way it's layed out and how it plays.

Maybe it plays well on some computers (most even), but on Danzig I get around 30fps no matter where I am at (except in buildings, quite a bit more in them) but in Leningrad, if I am looking anywhere outside my fps ranges anywhere from 5-15, with 9 or 10 being the average. I think that the map needs to be made a bit less system intensive, I'm guessing it is because there is so much geometry that is displayed on the screen as you can basically see from the last objective almost to the first objective. I'm thinking that this is a RAM or CPU problem, because my GPU isn't bad at all for playing RO (512mb 6800).

Upvote 0

Just to be clear both versions were created, with the exception of the initial lighting overhaul (thanks SasQuatch!) , entirely by myself. This is the case with most of the custom maps in the patch. TWI did give a lot of advice and helped us along the way but I want everyone to know that the mappers themselves played a big part in getting them ready for release.

Before the maps could be released through Steam TWI listed several requirements that had to be made. Personally, I didn't like changing the classes to have more grenades or removing the secondary Russian camo (this was done to depict them as civilians and mixed units) but these are things I was willing to give up to get the map played by so many people. This is ultimately the goal of every level designer I would think.

The tank respawning system was something that no other map had at the time and I was very reluctant to change it but in the end I gave up that argument. I'm actually starting to like this change and it definitely makes the map more accessible to the average RO player. I would still like to pursue a limited tank system sometime in the future though.

As for the lighting I really don't see how you can think the old version was better. Leningrad was my second map (first was Wisla River for the mod) for any game so learning everything was new to me. The lighting was originally supposed to be in the dead of night with the moon or any light sources clouded over with smoke. The problem with this approach is that the UE2.5 engine doesn't handle diffused lighting very well so I was setting myself up for failure. The only way I could make this idea work was to put fires everywhere which would eat up the FPS. In my opinion the new version is 100 times better but judge for yourself.

Old / New

gupleningradsignaturebe5vc.jpg
leningradforumspicfinalqc0.jpg

I agree with him.

Before the "official version" it was a very delicate balance between tanks supporting infantry and infantry supporting tanks. Once one side was out of tank respawns, the other side had a decisive advantage, so protecting one's own tanks from being close-assaulted was very important.

Now this is all gone.

I did, and still do like this type of balance in a map but the way it was set up for Leningrad caused some game play problems for many players. If the attackers lost their tanks they might never advance and the defenders might get steamrolled if their tankers are new players. To be honest the map was never designed to include tanks and it has caused a lot of issues over the course of development. I will be releasing an infantry only version soon for people who still don't like tanks in the map and if I get the chance to fix anything on Leningrad I will probably add another 10 seconds onto the tank spawns to give players more breathing room when they finally destroy one.

Maybe it plays well on some computers (most even), but on Danzig I get around 30fps no matter where I am at (except in buildings, quite a bit more in them) but in Leningrad, if I am looking anywhere outside my fps ranges anywhere from 5-15, with 9 or 10 being the average. I think that the map needs to be made a bit less system intensive, I'm guessing it is because there is so much geometry that is displayed on the screen as you can basically see from the last objective almost to the first objective. I'm thinking that this is a RAM or CPU problem, because my GPU isn't bad at all for playing RO (512mb 6800).

If anything, the map depends more on the CPU because the buildings and their hundreds of windows are mostly made out of BSP. The real problem lies in the fact that I chose to do a 1:1 scale of a real place that did not have an optimized layout. I blame the people who made St. Petersburg over 300 years ago for not considering the optimization problems their street layout would give me! :p

Devs made it too easy to attack for the german (first floor capping, etc...).

The first floors were actually in the cap zones in a previous beta version but I removed them to encourage players to fight over the building floors and rooms above. In the end though players would just camp the stairs which is basically the same problem. This was a change that TWI asked me to do but was also something I would have done myself. The fact that half the Russian team ran out of the Anti-Tank Position at the start of the round was enough for me to include the first floor into the cap zone alone! This change has helped new players and doesn't really take anything away from the map in my view, so why not do it?

Upvote 0
before the patch it was my fav map! the only problem was, it wasnt played very often (on "my" filtered servers). i was happy to see the map getting the "official" stamp and i hoped the map would be played more often now.

either i was VERY unlucky to play in a TOTALLY noob russian team, or the map is WAY too unbalanced now. the germans overran us all the time. i have NEVER seen SO MANY germans behind, on and under the final bride. especially not so fast after roundstart. the map is won way too fast now.

if you joined a beta5 server, you knew it will be a fun and LONG fight. now its junkfood in my eyes. :(
the comparison with danzig says it all. de_dust for the masses! but NOT for me please. :(

Upvote 0
either i was VERY unlucky to play in a TOTALLY noob russian team, or the map is WAY too unbalanced now. the germans overran us all the time. i have NEVER seen SO MANY germans behind, on and under the final bride. especially not so fast after roundstart. the map is won way too fast now.
I am yet to see Germans win on this new version. ;) What I saw was they could capture Searchlight in the very end of the round. And palyers on Axis team weren't noobs, that's for sure.
But I did like limited tanks better. :(

Upvote 0
before the patch it was my fav map! the only problem was, it wasnt played very often (on "my" filtered servers). i was happy to see the map getting the "official" stamp and i hoped the map would be played more often now.

if you joined a beta5 server, you knew it will be a fun and LONG fight. now its junkfood in my eyes. :(
the comparison with danzig says it all. de_dust for the masses! but NOT for me please. :(

I think you were just unlucky with your team, a good co-ordinated allied team can stop the axis getting any caps on this map.

Upvote 0
Just to drop back into this thread (I'm glad it sparked such an interesting discussion, btw)...

I tried connecting to one of Tripwire's official servers, updated to 1047, and it's still trying to make me download the map, which tells me I didn't get the official map with the update. What's the deal with that?

Meh.

Upvote 0