• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Players discouraging teamwork/communication

Trendkill

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2006
Dorset, UK
I was just playing on the 50 player server, there were quite a few people with mics but the only one using the VOIP really constructively (saying where MGs were needed, just generally trying to formulate some sort of defense) got shouted down and was told to f*** off with his accent (he was English).

These players who told him to shut up sounded pretty mature themselves, I just thought that that sort of behaviour from (I assume) pretty experienced RO players is terrible.

It is a shame, and maybe it will change when more high player count servers are available and the novelty wears off, but I've noticed that the few 50 player servers aren't exactly drawing the cream of the crop. In fact, they frequently seem to be full of the least organized, most clueless bunch of nitwits I've encountered since RO was released. Not always, but more often than not I end up quitting in disgust and joining a nice half-full 32 player server where the level of play is higher. There are only so many times you can find yourself alone in the cap before you realize that you're not going to win it by yourself.

Yes, I am old and bitter, and I take it all too seriously. :cool:

Upvote 0
Well imo the 50 player servers, although it's nice with the numbers; lacks the teamwork of the smaller servers. When I come on there I usually just play for fun. There are also other server with anti-teamwork mentality, but those are like the 24/7 danzig servers, maybe sniper group.

There are just some servers where people play just to kill some dudes and cool off after work or whatever, I respect that.

Upvote 0
There are just some servers where people play just to kill some dudes and cool off after work or whatever, I respect that.
That's true, but that doesn't mean they have to act like jerks and tell you to "STFU" just because you're using the microphone and trying to tell your teammates where a threat is.

It really just depends on the server. I tend to avoid servers that I know have little in the way of admin activity, for example on Sniper Group TKing seems pretty rampant, I've even seen an entire group of griefers with <SVJ> or something like that in their names come in and start dropping satchels in the spawns.

For the most part this is not typical behavior on good servers with experienced players and admins around to enforce the rules.

Upvote 0
That's true, but that doesn't mean they have to act like jerks and tell you to "STFU" just because you're using the microphone and trying to tell your teammates where a threat is.

It really just depends on the server. I tend to avoid servers that I know have little in the way of admin activity, for example on Sniper Group TKing seems pretty rampant, I've even seen an entire group of griefers with <SVJ> or something like that in their names come in and start dropping satchels in the spawns.

For the most part this is not typical behavior on good servers with experienced players and admins around to enforce the rules.

I often ask for people to talk english if it is a english server
If they stay talking finish or russian or any freakish language they come in the mute list.
That is the problem with voip, Poeple talking a odd language wich only 2 persons understand.

Upvote 0
different players have different POV on playing on public... some just want to play and not to listen to some "commander", some will even arogantly tell him to f**k off... it sux when you try to help your team on public with voice commands and nobody cares... but I can say that I have not experienced something like that until there was 10 years old kid giving commands... which sounds a bit "strange" than :) ... or just often mentioned DBDUK server... but those guys were at least amusing a bit :)

Upvote 0
Extremely sure. You might get a few players who who use mic's and try to play with others but it never works successfully, clan play is the only way to have proper planned tactics and good teamwork.

Overall, I am sure you are right. But I have had some very good games where the team does mostly cooperate, uses VOIP and are actively communicating.

I have also been on some extremely quiet servers where I have been 'heckled' for using VOIP trying to get the team to work together, told to be quiet, and stop 'spamming' VOIP like it is somehow ruining other players concentration :rolleyes: (like MILK says above...)

Upvote 0
hate when people dont work as a team. but whats really annoying is when its the maps most important role thats not doing the job they should be. if its a machine gun doing defense or a squad leader throwing smoke or calling artiliery or whatever. Or when the assult troopers refuse to get into cap zones. Or when a tank sits and tank snipes instead of getting into the cap zone or defending the important areas or whatever. Some people just refuse to work as a team and insist on doing there own thing. The only down fall of having classes limited in games like this is the important roles can go to waste and lose the round for the rest of the team. People like this that dont want to play as a team is one reason why i wish this game had a free for all mode. Wouldnt be realistic but it would give these people something to do so people that want to just do there own thing can do that and people that want to work as a team can go to normal servers.

Upvote 0
There have always been servers where team work, worked.
I'm pretty sure that those servers will continue to be effective.

32 or 50 player, heck, a good teamwork server is a good teamwork server and thats it.
I hope so anyway!
I listen to my commander as a rule.

Bingo!! We have a winner... there are good and bad in ALL the servers. This BS distinction and eletist attitude of clanners being better than pubbers along with the constant "putting down" of public servers is the root cause of all the friction. The truth is as stated... there's good and bad everywhere.

Many Pubbers hear or have heard someone come trotting into the server spouting orders and of course they're gonna say something. Same as if a new player (to a particular clan server) comes in and starts spouting orders... I needn't say what's going to happen.

Bottom Line; There are good and bad in ALL the servers. The quality of play in any server is basically up to the Administration of that server.

Lately though, the fun factor and cooperation is on the upswing everywhere. ;)

Upvote 0
I was just playing on the 50 player server, there were quite a few people with mics but the only one using the VOIP really constructively (saying where MGs were needed, just generally trying to formulate some sort of defense) got shouted down and was told to f*** off with his accent (he was English).

These players who told him to shut up sounded pretty mature themselves, I just thought that that sort of behaviour from (I assume) pretty experienced RO players is terrible.

I was there. The person was spamming incessantly. At one point, I thought he was talking just to see the "speak" icon flashing in his HUD.

As for tactics he was urging everyone to use, well, he deserved to get shouted down for that too. He was urging people to hide in closets, and "fall back" while the decision point of the fight was raging, he was urging people to get away from the fight, thus abandoning teammates for the sake of "tactics". Turned out, by his plan of retreating, we lost, and when we made solid, intelligenty decisions at the AT gun position, we won handly.

He got what was coming.

One does not protect objectives by hiding in closets. One fights FOR objectives, not AT objectives.

That guy got what was coming to a voice comms spammer.

Upvote 0
Overall, I am sure you are right. But I have had some very good games where the team does mostly cooperate, uses VOIP and are actively communicating.
Yeah, I've been in some very good games where it was obvious that both teams were cooperating and communicating. I cooperate as much as I can and communicate via text when I'm able. I'll have to find time to get my mic working. As a rifleman I'm often at the fringes of the battle and see enemy movement that the center of the line can't. I usually don't have time to alert the team with text. Voice would be much better.

Time. Cripes, I barely find time to play a couple times a week. I hate to use up my fighting time by tinkering with my PC. It would probably be best in the long run though. I know if my mic was working I could have saved Nomad's life a few times in Berezina by warning him of a threat to his tank. (Sorry Mike:D)

Upvote 0
Bingo!! We have a winner... there are good and bad in ALL the servers. This BS distinction and eletist attitude of clanners being better than pubbers along with the constant "putting down" of public servers is the root cause of all the friction. The truth is as stated... there's good and bad everywhere.

Many Pubbers hear or have heard someone come trotting into the server spouting orders and of course they're gonna say something. Same as if a new player (to a particular clan server) comes in and starts spouting orders... I needn't say what's going to happen.

Bottom Line; There are good and bad in ALL the servers. The quality of play in any server is basically up to the Administration of that server.

Lately though, the fun factor and cooperation is on the upswing everywhere. ;)

"Elitist attitude". I have heard this term thrown around a lot in reference to clans and i still don't get why. Surely the pinnacle of play for RO is for the entire team to be working in unison to a common objective, mg's covering corridors, snipers protecting the mgs, layered defenses, planned retreats/advances etc etc. Now im sure occasionally you will get a few people on a public server who work together but as a person who has extensive experience playing both clan and public games I can tell you that the level of teamwork (and skill in most cases) is significantly lower to non existent on public servers and the only time i do see any co-ordination it is on a server heavily populated with various clans.

Elitist attitude perhaps but it is due to frustration at the lack of common sense (as it seems to people familiar with teamwork) that occur on ALL public servers. (eg. players sitting back and plinking instead of attacking, snipers taking 10 mile detours to kill 1 player, commanders just not doing anything, attacking locked objectives, defending locked objectives and generally not using common sense).

Upvote 0