• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics MP41 vs. MP40

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/56/Maschinenpistole_MP40.jpg

It's actually quite nice. The stock was stupid when the Russians copied it for the AK (had too much recoil and beat up the stock too fast), but it worked fine on the MP40.

I use the MP40 for the same reason I like the PPSh. It's the German WW2 SMG, not a relatively uncommon MP gun. Besides, I'm already used to the recoil of the Soviet guns, so it's not a handicap. I also hear it shoulders faster due to less weight, which I like.

Upvote 0
This is starting to sound like the debate between evil black rifles (m16s and whatnot) and traditional wood stocks. After much deliberation, I've decided that wood stocks are classy and actually can be pretty much as light as metal or composite stocks. If I had a choice between really owning an MP40 or an MP41 I'd take the MP40 because it is a historical icon. However, I think the MP41 is a little bit prettier and more practical. Also, I think it would be more practical to bed the action (have the metal free floating on top of the wood stock) on a MP41 than the solid MP40, which, in theory, would make it more accurate.

Upvote 0
So, based on that, the practical side of this is as follows:

MP40:
- Pros -- lightweight, quick to aim in free-aim/hip shooting. Likely a bit better for close quarters hipshots.

- Cons -- higher recoil, less useful for unsupported iron-sight shooting.

MP41:

- Pros -- heavier, easier to hit at longer (for SMG) ranges while using iron sights.
- Cons -- slower to move in free-aim, slightly less useful for close quarters hipshooting.

So, if you figure you're gonna be doing more long range (IE: >50m) shooting, take the MP41. If you'll be doing a lot of point-blank or <50m shooting, take the MP40.

how is the #1 pro of the mp40: lightweight, while the #1 pro of the mp41: heavier?
that makes no sense when comparing!

Upvote 0
of course it makes sense. The '40 is lightweight and faster to manipulate in your hands. you swing it around faster, and shoulder it to aim down the sights faster.

the '41 is heavier, therefore being able to absorb more recoil. take the FG42 and StG44 for example. The FG42 was very light and small, but had huge recoil. therefore it was impractical to use full auto because it would be like trying to hold a porcupine farting. The Stg44 was big and heavy and therefore could absorb more recoil, making it more steady.

there you go. that's why a mac10 is hard to hold steady on full auto and a MP5 isn't.

the weight of the gun makes a difference. :)

Upvote 0
lol thanks. just a couple of harmless dogs worshipping tree symbols. lol

and remember. the MP40 is recoil absorbed through your arm making you jerk more.
the MP41 has recoil absorbed into the Gun so less is pushed against you.
that's why the MG42 has relatively low recoil. cuz it weighs frickin 65 pounds!

Have you ever SHOT an MG42? I have, and I wouldn't say it has "relatively low recoil". The thing will push you around like crazy. Also the bipod version weighs about 25 lbs, not 65 lbs.

Upvote 0
no i have not shot an mg42 outside of RO. but i have watched videos of it, and when properly anchored it will not 'throw you around' like a PPSh does when you're running and gunning at the hip.

I have found that it is quite controllable and when firing full auto will get into a groove that will allow you to have virtually no recoil for a given time.

And i was exaggerating about the weight. I really have no idea how much they weighed

Upvote 0
Theres something russian about having a wooden stock on your SMG, that just disturbs me. The aryan race should not rely on such primitive rescources.

Not to say anything positive about the germans but i think the germans did pretty good considering they were outmanned 10-1 on the russian front alone. so it just shows there weapons got the job done

Upvote 0