• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The BT-7 tank

Although I did read one Russian account of the PzIII being able to go about 70Kph and faster than the T34, I take it with a grain of salt. Maybe it WAS faster but there was a greater risk of throwing a track.
One thing in the PzIII's favour was the torsion bar suspension. It was a very good system. A PzIII was captured (in Africa???) by the UK and ended up in the States. This lead to the system being adopted by the USA for the M18 tank destroyer. The M18 was definately the fastest AFV the US has in the European theatre.

Upvote 0
Something like that should be possible.
There are allready footstep sounds, I guess they could have enhanced that system.
At least to make tanks slower (!) on some unfavourable conditions.

The footstep sounds are hardcoded into UE - no playing around with that I'm afraid - same goes for terrain as well, I would guess. Unless someone wants to put in a mut and zone off different terrain types.

Upvote 0
becuase my grandfather was in the war. he was 16 when he got drafted and he was in for the whole thing. He went from a Soviet Rifleman to a Soviet Tank Commander, (became a tank commander becuase of being wounded as an infrantry soldier, so rather than the soviets lettin him stay in the hospital they put him to use and turned him into a tank crewman).
thats amaizing.

Upvote 0
There's another consideration for why the tank speeds are slower. Two considerations, in fact. 1.) It could be due to server performance. If they and everything else moved at absolute real-world speeds, the servers might have too much strain put on them. 2.) The maps in stock RO are friggin' tiny, especially the tank maps. They may SEEM large, but that's because you're impatient and want to go shoot something.

Orel is about what I'd want to see, only maybe larger and with longer viewdistances. You'd need that kind of space to maneuver and take at proper speeds.

There's a lot of other factors that aren't modeled as far as the terrain goes. Any terrain modification would be a gross oversimplification, and so would still need to be "averaged." Then you have to consider the effect of "road treads" vs "cross-country treads". As I recall, some tanks did use different types of treads (though I don't remember which armies did this, or if all of them did).

Regardless, it's an estimation. People need to let go of the notion that RO is a sim or some hard-core realism game. It isn't. It never was designed to be. It was designed to be more realistic than other stuff out there, and it is. But it was never supposed to be a 1:1 representation of the real world.

Upvote 0
One thing in the PzIII's favour was the torsion bar suspension. It was a very good system. A PzIII was captured (in Africa???) by the UK and ended up in the States. This lead to the system being adopted by the USA for the M18 tank destroyer. The M18 was definately the fastest AFV the US has in the European theatre.

It also is simpler and easier to work on. Unless it's a Porche. M1 has it too if I recall correctly.

Upvote 0