• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Resident Evil 4 (PC)

DingBat

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
Hi all,

I just noticed that this is being released this week. I had a total blast with this on our old Gamecube and am thinking about picking it up. It will be interesting to see how the control scheme works with a keyboard and mouse and what, if any, graphical improvements have been made.

Anyway, if you missed this gem when it first came out, you may want to check it out now.

who needs RE when you have zombie mod for ArmA? Damn I'm seriously making a damn good zombie mission for ArmA right now, I may release it to the public!

Because RE4 rocks more than almost any other shooter game out there. It just ****ing owns. Besides, it doesn't have zombies.

RE4 PC version is playable, but since it is PS2 port it has quite outdated (aka "ugly", one might say) visuals and it has also few issues related with the PS2 version.

However, there was a patch released which upgrades the textures to somewhere near GC version, and it's not really bad then. Too bad my comp cannot run the game proplery if I have this patch installed; 3\4 of places my FPS dropped like 80% while in rest it was slightly increased.

It doesn't have mouse aiming (well you can download an emulator but that's only for newbies who lack aiming skills, to be honest. It's not hard to aim with the keyboard or with a pad), and with keyboard you are having some weird strugglings with some controls what the game means (like if the game informs like "5 + 6" buttons in so-called think fast place, it refers draw weapon and draw knife buttons).

So if you want this game to PC, I recommend updating it and geting a controller. It is not bad with the keyboard, but most of people would just complain "zomg i cant hit anywhear i muzt useh mah mouse". ;)

And also, the game is slightly 'easier' due being PS2 port. However, some weapons are actually quite good, like Springfield sniper rifle is not that crappy against semi-auto sniper as it was in GC version due Springfield's exclusive upgrade making it very powerful weapon in PS2\PC port E.G.

Upvote 0
Well it is not really that bad. Install -> patch the game -> get a controller\that emulator or stick with the keyboard -> practise for few seconds (about the controlers) and that's it.

I guess the reason why people really hate it is just the fact that it lacks default mouseaiming. Well I admit, I was rather "wtf" due that when I first tried the game, but it took two minutes and I already was feeling the force flowing through my fingers (and keyboard) :p

And second of that, the game really had "ugly" visuals if we compare to anything more modern game, but after patching it it does have quite good overall visual quality. Lacking just some lightning functions and such which GC version had.

Besides, the game's not that expensive. I bought mine for like 30e and I don't regret it, even though I admit I was slightly disapointed at the first place.

Sure GC version is much more beter, too bad I don't personally own GC.

Upvote 0
yeh no improvement to gfx and for some reason it looks worse on the pc

Because it is PS2 port. That's why the game has few weapons improved and it is slightly 'easier'. And that's the reason why it does have some weird issues also (like slightly unresponsive controls and such).

And besides, there is an OFFICIAL patch released few weeks ago which updates textures nearly to GC level, thus making the game visually more beter.

Only thing which it still lacks from GC version is real-time lightning and some other small things like that.

Upvote 0
How come I get the idea that you are mixing RE4 with some older RE game? :p
It was RE4, I am 100% sure of it, I was playing as Leon in the woods and there was some town where everyone was hostile so I like wasted them.

It was the same old trot/walk around and snap to aim thing as all the old RE games, with a few bells and whisles (like aiming through a scope etc) thrown in.

Someone needs to make a really awesome zombie game, a first person one.

Upvote 0