• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map RO-Gorlitz Beta 3

There is like 2 tank commander slots? Last time I played this map there wasn't enough tank crews to man the tank MGs. So it isn't such a big deal to have those T-34s, solo tanking makes it harder to "pwn" with the tanks. They are sitting ducks at times (which is good, no invincible tanks that kill everything).

True, but simply having an enclosed turret with a coax MG makes the tank MUCH more deadly than an assault gun. Conceivably, the assault gun would be vulnerable to a nade tossed in the top or to small arms fire (although I haven't tested this to see if the hitbox is actually open).

Plus, without a turret, you can't park and have total command of the entire area. You actually have to maneuver the tank (which, if you're not team tanking, means you have to stop shooting for a second).

It's a subtle difference, I grant you, but I think it'd be significant.

Upvote 0
True, but simply having an enclosed turret with a coax MG makes the tank MUCH more deadly than an assault gun. Conceivably, the assault gun would be vulnerable to a nade tossed in the top or to small arms fire (although I haven't tested this to see if the hitbox is actually open).

Plus, without a turret, you can't park and have total command of the entire area. You actually have to maneuver the tank (which, if you're not team tanking, means you have to stop shooting for a second).

It's a subtle difference, I grant you, but I think it'd be significant.

The confined nature of the map also enhances the effectiveness of HE shells .

Upvote 0
Agreed

Agreed

The confined nature of the map also enhances the effectiveness of HE shells .

I think so many people have said this in so many ways on the 16 pages of this thread. If there is an experienced Russian tank driver on the team, who knows the hiding places and knows how to take advantage of the range on the cannon, the Germans are toast. Given the linear nature of the fight (fighting straight ahead the whole time), the Germans could have some great, experienced players on their team and still lose the fight. I'm not saying this is a bad thing and could be exactly the way the mapper wanted it, but this is what I have seen in battles.

Upvote 0
Well, HE shells are a moot point because they're present both in the Su-76 and the T-34-85. My issue is less with there being armor in general, and more about how the tanks are (as I see it) much more of a threat than the assault guns. the assault guns are still a threat, of course, but with their open top, lack of turret, and no MGs, they're a much lesser, more balanced threat.

Plus, ditching the tanks in favor of assault guns (and/or adding a UC) would require more teamwork and combined arms. You'd need the UCs to act as a mobile MG nest, while the assault guns provided HE support. So instead of having a single tool that does both jobs with excellent crew safety, you'd have slightly more exposed crews and the job split between two vehicles.

Upvote 0
I think so many people have said this in so many ways on the 16 pages of this thread. If there is an experienced Russian tank driver on the team, who knows the hiding places and knows how to take advantage of the range on the cannon, the Germans are toast. Given the linear nature of the fight (fighting straight ahead the whole time), the Germans could have some great, experienced players on their team and still lose the fight. I'm not saying this is a bad thing and could be exactly the way the mapper wanted it, but this is what I have seen in battles.

Again, I respect the opinions of those here, but where are these servers where this is happening, because I've never seen it yet. ;)

I count myself as an experience player and if I play germans and die more than 3 times in a round due to HE fire, I consider it a bad round. I still maintain if you are smart and think about where the tanks can and do fire, you will live a long time.

Sure, the tanks can hit the really juicy defense spots. DON'T GO THERE. You have to work at defense on Gorlitz. It's not a matter of finding a camping spot with a clear line of sight in all directions and just plink away.

As I said in another post, I simply look at the tanks as snipers that don't have to aim all that well. I've played on maps with really good snipers and I can generally keep myself alive there as well. Again: know the map.

I like the idea of using SU's simply because it gives me the chance to lob a nade into it. That won't happen very often at all, but it's still a great thing to add to the map. That, plus the lack of mg, makes this seem like a pretty good compromise to me.

Upvote 0
A couple Pak40's strategically placed would be sufficient to add to the Germans fire power and atleast 1 Panzerfaust class, then atleast 1 guy doesn't have to stand at the crates for 45 seconds.
Exactly.

The "survival" concept of slowly retreating is so much more thrilling and exciting, giving the Germans a tank would basically mean it's YABM. (yet another boring map)

The PAK's such overlook the entire street so both infantry and tanks can be engaged, however it should be emphasized to be use against tanks only!
It might be fun to have one of these guns embedded in a building so it's also hard to reach for the Soviet infantry.

Upvote 0
The ditching of the T-34 for another SU76 gets my vote.

I'd also say keep the tank spawn at the start, but include a couple of tank ammo dumps along to way to allow them to replen. I've been "rounds complete" / winchester before, and just driven up to the Axis lines to be killed, just so I could re-arm.

Upvote 0
Is it possible to have destroyable buildings? In other words, buildings that start out somewhat complete, but a few tank rounds later would be reduced to rubble?
Not really, its an engine limitation.
To my knowledge theres no engine out there atm that can
do this in a believeable manner.
The way the destructible walls/doors on some maps are
realized is not useable for a complex building destruction,
it would look jerky and have a negative impact on lag.
Ask some mapper why, I cant explain it! ;)

Upvote 0
Any new news?
Lately this wonderful map and Kreigstadt have become rarities on servers I can not find any popular ones that run these except for 1 german server (used the voting sheep tactic) it was good times!!! anyway Im wondering since this is still a beta will there be another verison coming soon?:D

Upvote 0