• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

silly top scores thread

booooo

Scores aren't what make effective RO players here's why.

-Squadleader doesn't get any points for the team provideing VERY usefull smoke.

-axis team members have a free 5 points at the spawn if they want by running up to their machine gunner and endlessly reloading him.

-snipers and MG barely Ever get cap points (a full 10 for just standing there) although they provide very much needed support for the team.

-the defending team will most of the time have lower scores than attackers due to lower cap opportunities.

-engineers DON'T get any points for blowing objects and providing access to cap zone. They also Lose points for carrying out these tasks if some Team member smuck runs into the blast zone.

IF everyone only tries to get the highest points and thats it, the game would be a mess and totally unrealistic.

i disagree in many ways. Squad leader provides smoke sure but... on maps without artiliery his main job is to smoke the path to objectives and get into the objective. He has more capping power then anyone else on the team and therefore should have a high score from taking objectives alone.

the sniper.. there is no reason at all why a sniper cant snipe from the cap zone.

The defending team will have a lower score then the attacking team but... you cant honestly say that someone with a score of 5 is doing more for the team then someone that has a score of 50. unless he abused the mg resupply thing.

The engineers dont get points for clearing obsticles but.. they can clear the path and be the first into the cap zone fairly easy. As well as taking out tanks that block the way and scoring points that way.

I dont think the MG resupply should give points but... it should be kept track of on the score page in another place somehow. Just to show hey your trying to help out your mger.

If the mg resupply thing was removed then trying to get the highest score would be good because it would mean everyone was going for objectives and trying to get the mission done. it would be more realistic. Defend your base or try to take over the enemy base.

Upvote 0
I proposed to TWI that scoring be a system of tasty tropical fruits earned by an algorithm that is never described, but they turned me down.

/my best score ever was 4 coconuts and a mango slice on Kaukasus

I want a scoring system like that. . . but instead of tropical fruits, it needs to stay with the WWII theme.

Instead of four coconuts and a slice of mango, it should be four smokes and a bottle of Vodka. :p

(I had somthing on topic, but then it sounded stupid, so I removed it. :eek:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You play a game for fun/enjoyment/loving of it, or you play for points?

Score=fun the same way as money=fun. Collecting things is great and ever so better if you have more of the stuff than others! An added bonus with points is that you don't have to buy a fancy car to show you have more than others because points show up instantly for others to see!

Upvote 0
Score=fun the same way as money=fun. Collecting things is great and ever so better if you have more of the stuff than others! An added bonus with points is that you don't have to buy a fancy car to show you have more than others because points show up instantly for others to see!

So players with a lower score have less fun ? And when i see a guy wit a higher score i go: "woow he's having more fun then me !!" . What a load of bs.

The score in RO is NOT connected to the amount of fun you're having.

Upvote 0
So players with a lower score have less fun ? And when i see a guy wit a higher score i go: "woow he's having more fun then me !!" . What a load of bs.

Perhaps my post was missing a few smilies, because obviously my intended humor didn't quite carry through?

If someone cares about points, then, yes, score IS connected to the amount of fun she's having. If, on the other hand, someone doesn't care about points, then there is probably no connection or the connection is arbitrary and unintentional.

A lot of the veteran players seem to be quite narrow minded when it comes to having fun. They are unable to accept that some people do care about points and that's their source (or one of the sources) of fun and amusement. They keep repeating the orthodox mantra of "teamwork gets you to heaven, whereas points are just a distraction whipped up by the devil to tempt the true believers, so beware ye of points and 15 Ave Marias for everytime you have a look at the score board!". Its the same thing as arguing over whether carrots taste good or not.

Upvote 0

What? Not in any way? If I am getting seriously pwned by everyone on a server then I will not be having fun, nor will my score be high.

There is SOME correlation.

Upvote 0
I think you guys are taking the score thread a little too seriously. It's sort of like a bunch of guys sitting around telling fish stories. Everyone wants a good story to tell but nobody takes it too seriously.

There are times when I'll go for score. There are times when I'll take my trusty rifle off to some corner of a map and say "I'm just going for cool shots". There are times when I'll just try to lock down my particular corner of the map, take one for the team, so to speak.

It all depends on how I define fun that day. Strangely, that definition does change.

Upvote 0
I think you guys are taking the score thread a little too seriously. It's sort of like a bunch of guys sitting around telling fish stories. Everyone wants a good story to tell but nobody takes it too seriously.

There are times when I'll go for score. There are times when I'll take my trusty rifle off to some corner of a map and say "I'm just going for cool shots". There are times when I'll just try to lock down my particular corner of the map, take one for the team, so to speak.

It all depends on how I define fun that day. Strangely, that definition does change.

The only honest reply here. Everyone else here, Im 'fraid, are closet stat whores. :p

Upvote 0
Har har har, I want my cake and eat it too. Yeah I'm quite sure soilders carried around little scorecards in their back pockets like a golfer. I wish it never existed. Did it ever occur to anyone to let guys take a dogtag off their kill. That way they can flash their shiny prizes to people who mostly don't give a **** anyways. At least not the people I play with but hey.... Knock yourselves out ladies.;)

Upvote 0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ3rguO0qRg
lol fishing stories.

Upvote 0
Rebutle yo :D

Squad leader provides smoke sure but... on maps without artiliery his main job is to smoke the path to objectives and get into the objective. He has more capping power then anyone else on the team and therefore should have a high score from taking objectives alone.

He throws smoke and covers every-one to get in the cap zone. they get in and all get 10 points as does he. His support enabled the team to cap. He only gets the same amount of points as every one else. Surely he did more.

the sniper.. there is no reason at all why a sniper cant snipe from the cap zone.

this is not the case most of the time. most cap zones are close quaters. terrible for snipers. He is more effective for the team, if he possitions himself from afar and prevents enemies from running into the capzone. He is also more effective when he tries to take out their long rang defenders so everyone can run in.

The defending team will have a lower score then the attacking team but... you cant honestly say that someone with a score of 5 is doing more for the team then someone that has a score of 50. unless he abused the mg resupply thing.

Attackers get ten points for each cap. An attacker only has to run in a cap zone once, an his score will equal that of a diffender with ten kills.

The engineers dont get points for clearing obsticles but.. they can clear the path and be the first into the cap zone fairly easy. As well as taking out tanks that block the way and scoring points that way.

Once again, just like the squad leader n smoke, the engineer enables the team to progress and is not rewarded for it. Who cares that he MIGHT be the first person able to run in. sometimes its first one in - first one dead. No BLAST points! But there is potential for negetive points 4 killing sucka team members in the blast zone.

I dont think the MG resupply should give points but... it should be kept track of on the score page in another place somehow. Just to show hey your trying to help out your mger.

:D AGREEMENT :D

If the mg resupply thing was removed then trying to get the highest score would be good because it would mean everyone was going for objectives and trying to get the mission done. it would be more realistic. Defend your base or try to take over the enemy base.

true to a point. As described above, snipers and MG's sometimes can help their team out MORE if they provide much needed support.

My opinion stands. Since points aren't as tightly nested with team gameplay, people shouldn't really take much stock in POINTS. In real warefare, isn't it better to help your allies out as best as possible rather than build on personal trophies (ie personal score in RO)?

Upvote 0