• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Remove Time limit

Crusher

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Belgium
When I was playing RO after 5 days of no pc (boattrip with school) I started to think. Why is there a time limit? Surely the reinforcements are good enough to be a time limit on its own. IRL there wasn't a guy yelling "5 minutes chaps, then we stop and see who has the best score or just give up". Ofcourse there would be the trouble of people who are afk in spawn while the team is out of reinforcements, thus the other team can't kill every last one of them. So have a time limit when the team runs out of reinforcements, like 5 minutes.

I say we should keep it. If the admins are not in the server, and there is a fruitcake camper or AFK player in their spawn, there is nothing you can do about it when all the reinforcements are gone and he's the last enemy.
Time limits are for those kind of variables in game play (IMO) and they play a good role in making sure the game ends.

Hopefully you could make out my argument in that jumbled post of mine.:D

Upvote 0
When I was playing RO after 5 days of no pc (boattrip with school) I started to think. Why is there a time limit? Surely the reinforcements are good enough to be a time limit on its own. IRL there wasn't a guy yelling "5 minutes chaps, then we stop and see who has the best score or just give up". Ofcourse there would be the trouble of people who are afk in spawn while the team is out of reinforcements, thus the other team can't kill every last one of them. So have a time limit when the team runs out of reinforcements, like 5 minutes.

The timelimit puts pressure on teams to achieve the objectives. Without it, there would be way too many players just hunkered down down nothing, not a care in the world about the time. You need a lot of reinforcements intact to take all the objectives on some maps, and taking too long drains those down, making winning impossible. That, and maps can go on a VERY long time and get boring if the action isn't "encouraged".

If you want to reflect this to real life, operations are given a time scale. Usually, because the operation on the scale of RO would be a small piece of a much larger operation that has been planned far in advance in great detail, it would require the operation to be completed on time or it could throw the whole operation off.

Think about each of the beaches on D-Day. If just one hadn't been taken, and the subsequent push to clear the beachead, there would have been serious problems. Or the much larger scale operation Barbarossa; if one area had not been taken on schedule it would have allowed a gap for counterattack (if the Red Army could have managed that in the first place in 1941), or possible envelopment.

Upvote 0
I agree, that should make the reinforcements also a lot more inportant.
I agree i'd like to see reinforcements come into play more -
However i believe as well as a timelimit being a potentially usefull simple balance tweaking tool for map creators , more importantly on a lot of maps it creates tension and gives the game momentum and urgency. Gotta be a good thing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I reckon a suspension of the time limit at some times would be good, like how's this for example.

A battle is going down to the wire reinforcements wise, it is under 5% per side with under a minute to go, the clock pauses to let it play out. If people just camp and stop fighting and there are no kills for say ~3 minutes it begins again.

Or say the map will not be allowed to end on the time limit if while it runs out the final objective is actively being capped, however as soon as the cap breaks the map ends.

Upvote 0
Here is a old post of mine way back in a thread much like this one, right after the launch of ROOST (I had completely forgotten we called it that), where I give my opinion on what I think the time limits are for.
Well the time limit is supposed to represent the defending team's time till their reinforcements arrive (I think, sounds logical to me).
Then, in the same post, I went on to give a suggestion, which makes more sense than simply removing the time limit all together.
Of course I think another timer is needed (a "reinforcement time limit" if you will) and with this new timer the round timer will need to be longer. When reached, the reinforcement timer provides a reinforcement boost for defending team (like 25% or whatever the server sets it to) and would happen only once (well if the boost was smaller I guess you could have it repeat, but lets not get to complicated, shall we :)). So if the assualting team is slacking, knowing that they have plenty of time to cap. They could screw themselves over, if the defending team holds them off for to long. So there is a incentive for both teams and more strategic approach is required. Not to fast, as to run out of lives, not to slow, as to give the defenders a big advantage. Even if the defenders get more reinforcements, that doesn't mean the objective will be easier or harder to cap.

Last edited:
Upvote 0