• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Overclock help needed

...Most people don't realize you can overclock preassembled PCs such as Emachine, Gateway etc but you can...

yeah, but kiss that warranty you pay for goodbye if you do...

Also:

1) AMDs have locked multipliers, so nix on that idea...it's for Intel only for the most part (you can get around it sometimes, but it's not easy at last check)
2) make sure you have good memory if you are going to muck about with the memory speed. You will fry it quickly if it can't handle the extra speed/voltage.
3) if you are gonna overclock your emachine or whatever pre-assembled system you have...I very much doubt the beefyness of the HSF on the proc...my last dell (a Northwood P4 @ 3.2ghz) had a passive cooler and was already running too hot...

Upvote 0
I suggest that if you don't know what are you dooing (seem so) don't try it. You can damage your CPU/MB

Nope, not really. The worst thing you can do is that your computer won't POST. Then you have to reset BIOS via jumpers.

CPU's and motherboard's have had protection for overvoltages and overheating, so you can't destroy your CPU by overclocking it.

Upvote 0
Theoretically you're right but there are some steps to go around the multiplier lock like connecting pins with some thin wire or re-doing some contacts using conductive paint wich can physically destroy your system, especially the CPU and the CPU voltage regulators .

Also, by not corectlly applying thermal paste between cpu and cooler can damage your CPU. Even the CPU has
thermal protection it is possible that you have differnt temps on the different parts of the die (differnet thermal conductivity factors).

I'm for the CPU overcloking but only if you know what are you dooing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Most modern CPU's have a multiplier lock the only ones that got none are high end amd ones.

But there are dividers you can use for your memory. So you can just make your fsb really high while memory stays at stock speed or whatever. Next to that you can't trace that someone oced. Unless you done any hardware changes like bridges pinwires or voltmods. Any soft/bios ocing should cause no harm. (in the short run)

Upvote 0