• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

STALKER Mega-Thread; Clear Skies are Coming!

Is it just me or is the Arena mission in which you fight against two army guys impossible to beat? :mad: I've emptied one clip of armor piercing AK bullets to the other guy's head and yet he just won't loving die! The other guy dropped with just one burst but this other one, BLALRHGHGHGH! Is it a bug? I'm playing the 1.0001 version.

Upvote 0
Just for kicks I decided to skip the brain scorcher and run to the Pripyat exit and it started telling me Dangerous Psi-energy or whatever, but nothing happened to me and I made it.

Then all of the sudden everyone in Pripyat's racing to the zone as if I had turned it off. Lame :D I was hoping to Ninja my way through alone just like Strelok did before he forgot who he was ;)

Upvote 0
Is it just me or is the Arena mission in which you fight against two army guys impossible to beat? :mad: I've emptied one clip of armor piercing AK bullets to the other guy's head and yet he just won't loving die! The other guy dropped with just one burst but this other one, BLALRHGHGHGH! Is it a bug? I'm playing the 1.0001 version.

I ran out of ammo and had to knife one of them, and he knew I was coming :eek:

Upvote 0
Just checking if I got it right- accepting the uber-consciousness offer will get you f***ed and will lead you to one of the false endings?
Yes, say no and play a much more enjoyable ending :)

By the way, what are the other "wish granter" false endings? I got the money one as most of the people seem to have too...

Upvote 0
Just for kicks I decided to skip the brain scorcher and run to the Pripyat exit and it started telling me Dangerous Psi-energy or whatever, but nothing happened to me and I made it.

Then all of the sudden everyone in Pripyat's racing to the zone as if I had turned it off. Lame
Yeah EVERYTHING critical is scripted with seemingly no determination to see if you actually did something or not. Just run to a certain spot and the same scripted event will occur no matter if you do it at the begining of the game or the end. It's an illusion that you actually HAVE to follow the quests and storyline, you don't I think. As long as you have good enough gear you can probably just run directly to Chernobyl Nuclear Powerplant. I don't know what they did or who got involved exactly (I heard some american) with STALKER to wreck what it could've been but they sure destroyed what could've been an astonishing game. Whoever thought that scripting was a GOOD idea for a game such as this is a complete and utter fool IMO. Whoever thought that linearity and restricting your movement to confined fenced in areas is an idiot IMO. They ****ed up, I'm sorry, that's all there is to it. Wait for an expansion? No, even after all this time they STILL blew their chance and now hoping for an expansion from them that will fix all the problems is the main recourse for desperate fans who still foolishly cling to some hope. Let the community fix the game to how it should be? This seems like a common outcome nowadays and why do I get more and more nauseated when this is the only recourse? Why is it up to the PLAYERS to fix a game??????? Shouldn't that have been handled by the people who made it instead? I would think so. Why don't I get a partial refund and give most the money to people who are actually making the game into what it should be instead? If I wanted a linear & scripted experience I would just play COD again. Stalker ****ed up, plainly simple. I'll check back in a few months to see if the fans (the people who really care about making the game great) have fixed Stalker to some degree. Though I'm very doubtfull because many things are the core of the game (linear story) and you'd have to basically redesign and redo the entire premise of the game & it's story+ create entire huge amounts of new areas and locations to explore.

Upvote 0
Yeah EVERYTHING critical is scripted with seemingly no determination to see if you actually did something or not. Just run to a certain spot and the same scripted event will occur no matter if you do it at the begining of the game or the end. It's an illusion that you actually HAVE to follow the quests and storyline, you don't I think. As long as you have good enough gear you can probably just run directly to Chernobyl Nuclear Powerplant. I don't know what they did or who got involved exactly (I heard some american) with STALKER to wreck what it could've been but they sure destroyed what could've been an astonishing game. Whoever thought that scripting was a GOOD idea for a game such as this is a complete and utter fool IMO. Whoever thought that linearity and restricting your movement to confined fenced in areas is an idiot IMO. They ****ed up, I'm sorry, that's all there is to it. Wait for an expansion? No, even after all this time they STILL blew their chance and now hoping for an expansion from them that will fix all the problems is the main recourse for desperate fans who still foolishly cling to some hope. Let the community fix the game to how it should be? This seems like a common outcome nowadays and why do I get more and more nauseated when this is the only recourse? Why is it up to the PLAYERS to fix a game??????? Shouldn't that have been handled by the people who made it instead? I would think so. Why don't I get a partial refund and give most the money to people who are actually making the game into what it should be instead? If I wanted a linear & scripted experience I would just play COD again. Stalker ****ed up, plainly simple. I'll check back in a few months to see if the fans (the people who really care about making the game great) have fixed Stalker to some degree. Though I'm very doubtfull because many things are the core of the game (linear story) and you'd have to basically redesign and redo the entire premise of the game & it's story+ create entire huge amounts of new areas and locations to explore.
What I think about Stalker in a nutshell.

Plus It keeps on crashing when I try to get into the Red Forest, and I ain't doing it all again. :(

Upvote 0
TBH I dont believe that with the computing means of today games can be truly open-ended free-roaming etc. I didnt expect stalker to be the first, and I aint raising my hopes with crysis either.

A truly open & free game will have to consist of AIs wholl be able to solve problems and "think" creativly, in a way not even the devs can predict. Bots who can talk and uderstand, have free "will" which will have an impact on the plot.

Till such an achievement in the AI science- any game that will try to do that will crumble in the midst of making or in the better case: will offer you a more intelligent illusion that things are not directed and predetermined.

Stalker, imo, offers you one of the more intelliget illusions tbf today.

Upvote 0
TBH I dont believe that with the computing means of today games can be truly open-ended free-roaming etc. I didnt expect stalker to be the first, and I aint raising my hopes with crysis either.

A truly open & free game will have to consist of AIs wholl be able to solve problems and "think" creativly, in a way not even the devs can predict. Bots who can talk and uderstand, have free "will" which will have an impact on the plot.
I think it's possible, in fact Stalker is already doing it in limited form with the animals & how they react and make decisions based on what's going on around them etc. Now just apply that to the humans and get rid of the scripted scenarios & events. Of course the whole plot or premise of the game would need to be changed drastically. For example take a generic goal such as "retrieve the top secret documents". How Stalker does it now is all the major events and enemies when you are in the vicinity of your objective are totally scripted and it's always the same. IF the AI were left to make the decisions rather than scripts who knows what you would encounter, it would be different everysingle time. It would be near totally random and unpredictable depending on what other events where happening in the area etc etc. One time you may run into bandits the other time you may run into monolith the other time freedom the other time wild animals that have taken over the site and are chewing on dead army guys who lost their battle against them the other time you run into absolutely nothing at all and or any combination of anything really etc etc etc. So you still have a "generic" goal of "get the documents" but how you get them or what events you need to face to get them are totally unpredictable and related to AI and not scripting. About the "freeroam" of course it is possible, morrowind has freeroam that was the best thing about it IMO. The size of Stalkers zone could've been huge (the bigger the better IMO) 4 times as big as it is now would be MINIMUM for me. They could've made it epic but they decided to cripple everything that COULD'VE made it great and revolutionary and release the same **** we always get (linear and scripted with zero replay value). All the great art and level design and atmosphere is wasted if it's only good for one play through. You'll notice how the best games are those with infinite (or near infinite) replay value? Well devs (or the publishers who control them) need to start realizing that fact and stop releasing linear scripted BS. Just because that's what they've been doing for so long is no reason to continue doing it. Enough is enough. I don't care about "up to par" graphics, give me a game with subpar graphics with infinite replay value over a game with drop dead gorgeous graphics but linear as hell.

Upvote 0
I dont think the game companies doesnt want to make non linear games, they just cant atm. Im guessing that to some extenct stalker's delay was due to the fail to create reliable AIs/ A life.
I really believe that- the companies know theres a market for absolut freedom in games- otherwise Valve wouldnt lie about it (first beta of HL2, in GDC04 I think- they just baldly said that this and that were not scripted while they were obviously so) and wouldnt struggle now to make ep2 the first HL to not be all linear.

Ill take a wild guess here - In Morrowwind you could go anywhere you liked but if you wanted to advance the plot there was only one or two things you could do, right?

There are no truly open games atm.

Upvote 0
Well Quietus honestly tell me what the hell did you expect?

There were so many interviews and previews where it was glaringly obvious that the game had become a linear straight through shooter. They brought that Decaon Sharp guy in to get the project finished by cutting the thing down. And that's exactly what we got, a cut down and gutted out shell of the original idea.

To be blunt mate by expecting anything else you were just being extremely naive.

Upvote 0
Well Quietus honestly tell me what the hell did you expect?

There were so many interviews and previews where it was glaringly obvious that the game had become a linear straight through shooter. They brought that Decaon Sharp guy in to get the project finished by cutting the thing down. And that's exactly what we got, a cut down and gutted out shell of the original idea.

To be blunt mate by expecting anything else you were just being extremely naive.
Well I hadn't followed the development of Stalker hardly at all so I don't really know all of what was left out or what exactly to expect but just from my experience playing it I came to the conclusion that they really blew their chance for something BIG & revolutionary by succumbing to the lowest common denominator. I want games to evolve and become deeper and treated oh I don't know more "serious" and with deep gameplay becoming the focus over graphics. Right now they are disposable (like the latest blockbuster movie you go see it then forget about it in 1 day because it's hollow and has no substance to it other than OMFG visuals & effects). If they are just going to make the same **** over and over again with a fresh coat of paint (graphics) then I'm not interested in shallow crap like that at all. I'll stick to my old games then (and RO of course).

Upvote 0
I think we can all agree that the game could have, and would have been better had it not been for the deadline that was forced on them, major gripes beeing that the zone is not as big as it could have been, and the A-Life consept has been replaced by way too much scripting.

But the biggest gripes for me can be summed up in 2 points:

1) the "GTA-syndrome", here we have this great big zone, we want to explore it! but we dont get to do so untill we have finished about 2/3'rds of the official missions, places are locked, or just plain suicide to wisit untill you have compleated a bunch of missions or aquired some needed gear that you can only get from missions.
You really have to play by the numbers untill you are allmost at the end before you get any real freedom.

2) the missions wont leave you alone, any time you wisit the Garbage for instance, you get the same pop-up missions, defend this camp, defend that one, destroy this one.. and thats a real pain when you are allready on a mission! more so because you will fail thease pop-up missions if you dont come back and collect a reward within a day (WTF!? he owes me money for work done, how can there be a timelimit on that?).
Likewise double and tripple missions are annoying, i go to steal a briefcase, but before i can i am presented with a bunch of missions i cannot say no to, by the time its all done, i only just have time to hurry back and collect my rewards before they run out of time (and now im carrying a ton because i found a bunch of unique items that can only be gotten here), so i have no time to explore.

It all ads up to the same thing, we want to explore the zone, we want to find cool places, hunt for artifacts and unique objects, find the stashes, but we are not allowed to, its locked, you dont have the time, or its a suicide run, so you really cant do it.

Upvote 0
The problem with Stalker was that from day 1, they were far too ambitious. 5 years ago we were all saying it sounded too good to be true and would you look at that, it was. Maybe they could have done it if they'd worked cohesively as a team, but they didn't. They had some huge issues internally. I remember early last year one of the early testers admitted that at the point he quit, there had been just ONE developer working on the project fulltime. Is it any wonder they never got anywhere?

What they've released is indeed a same-old, same-old linear shooter, but they basically had to salvage what they could. That many years and that much money... well you can't just throw it away unless you're crazy. They simply cut it down, shipped what they could and hoped that their previous hype would fuel sales, even though it was no longer true. They were right. I don't blame them for doing it, but it also doesn't surprise me. I gave up on this game years ago when it became pretty obvious that the promises weren't going to be kept.

Upvote 0
I loved this game the first round,- for the wild life's A life sys, for its clever bots (even though they were behaving extremely stupid sometimes), for its variety of firearms, for its day- night cycle (first time in a game, at least for me), for the ending's dependance of your moral decisions and most of all for its atmosphere and its non compromising "ugly" realistic enviornments.

But on my second go, when I tried to adopt a more stealthy exploring approach (fisrt time was a more rushing forward to see the sets and finish the plot), I realized there was no such thing as stealth in the game, even when it encourages you to be stealthy (the snores of the sleeping soldiers in Arpogrom being the most explicit, annoying example for it).

I dont mind so much the rigid linearity of the plot and of some of the levels, but not being able to change game styles truly nullifies the replayibilty value of this title.

Not uninstalling yet,
in case I really have nothing better to do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0