• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation King Tiger - WIP

I'm glad to see that you guys are addressing the issue of gameplay/playability with such seriousness. :rolleyes: A 500lb bomb from divebomber would blow the shiat out of a tank as well and would have a similarly destructive effect on gameplay.

If this King Tiger project is to work at all it needs to be focussed on the technicalities of how to get it in-game in a non-destructive fashion rather than yet another "Let's all have a wank over how 1337 German tech was in 1944" thread.

*Wow! I can say 'wank' but not the opposite of 'blow' ???*
hahaha :pmost tanks can kill the king tiger from the side, so its Not non-destructive even the tiger one tank in the game most be out flanked, you will have to do the same to the king tiger, but it will be more [SIZE=-1]Dangerous simple as that :p[/SIZE]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As I pointed out to Karl S in a message, one concern that I have is that all this debate is well ahead of the reality of implementing the tank IN-GAME. In fact it is a bit of a diversion from that task.

The comparison I would make is that at the moment this thread is a bit like the Wright Brothers discussing what DVD's they want on the in-flight entertainment. There's a helluva long way to go and more serious issues to address than what happens to 17 lbr AP shells and whatnot.

Upvote 0

Should arrive within a few days :D

Reading that Vanguard book, KT was ment to be ready for Spring 1942 but apparently someone got stubborn over working with rivals and tried to stop the Rheinmetall gun getting fitted by reducing the turret ring diameter?

Also with KT, wouldn't firing on move be pretty easy since it ways so much it kind squashs the ground rather than going over it so more smooth movement, it's overly fast on cross-country and turret transverse is pretty quick

Upvote 0
Hmm ok, so is fire on the move still possible?

I've seen videos of Tiger I's chugging along firing, surrounded by bruning T34's.
Firing is OK, hitting something it another matter. Even with excellent suspension, hitting a target at any sort of distance is going to be very difficult. Germans crews were trained to halt before firing.
Remember, most photos and footage of combat is going to be staged.

Upvote 0
Should arrive within a few days :D

Reading that Vanguard book, KT was ment to be ready for Spring 1942 but apparently someone got stubborn over working with rivals and tried to stop the Rheinmetall gun getting fitted by reducing the turret ring diameter?

Also with KT, wouldn't firing on move be pretty easy since it ways so much it kind squashs the ground rather than going over it so more smooth movement, it's overly fast on cross-country and turret transverse is pretty quick
yes cool i love to read tank books all the time:p well done you will like both books :)

Upvote 0
karl stiner said:

Correction to what I said (quoted above)...

Turns out Porche ordered the wrong turret spec (ring size) because they found out the Flak 41 (L/74)wouldn't fit in it, then Krupp kinda got the blame because it was though that they had purposely designed it wrong because they didn't like Rheinmetall but later found innocent by historians.

Krupp then redesigned the gun, ending up with the L/71 which then ended up in the Porche & Henschel tanks.

The waste of time by these companies stopped any chance of the Tiger II being ready for spring 1942. I think Hitler should have just picked Henschel & Krupp, they would have got it ready by spring 1942 and done a good job.

And regarding the book, yeah I like 'em a lot, thanks for recommendation :)

The OF clan was asking if someone was working on the Tiger 2. I told them you were working on it!

Cool.

Upvote 0
My opinion is that if you introduce a KingTiger it should break/disable each 2 min, the crew should stay outside it for 2mins to "repair" it and than work for another 2 mins. And than again from beginning.
It would be somehow more real, and balance the maps.

Maybe make it so only tankers with a score over 30 can use it, since elite tankers in r/l could keep a Tiger II in good condition and running order.

Upvote 0
I think by that stage of the war there were very few elite Tankers left for the Germans to crew these beasts. Can you name me one Tiger II ace?
there was a few tiger 2 aces :p karl turk karl korner and karl bromm :D and kurt knispel and i am sure there is more ohh and Georg Diers,,,, ohh and soon myself when i get in a king tiger add me to the list:D:D

Last edited:
Upvote 0