• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New System, need your opinions

Nimsky

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Elitist Prick Nude Beach
Yes, another hardware thread.:p But I'm a hardware noob, so I need your opinions. Will the memory be compatible with the mobo I chose? And is a HD cooler really necessary?

Anyway, here it is.

Power supply: Fortron 400 watt ATX
Mobo: Intel DG965OT (mATX)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 2.67Ghz
Cooling: Zalman CNPS 7700 ALCU cooler
Memory: Crucial 2GB DDR2 667Mhz
Extra memory: Crucial 1GB DDR2 667Mhz
Hard drive: Seagate 320GB 7200 Sata2 16MB
HD Cooler*: Spire harde schijf HDD cooler
Videocard: Point of View VGA 8800GTX 768Mb PCI-E

I left out certain things I already have, ie DVD drive, keyboard, Audigy 2 ZS soundcard (I'm happy with it).

*Is a HD cooler really necessary?

So what do you think? Will this thing be able to run demanding games like ArmA with all settings on full?

Thanks!

You need a stronger power supply if you're going to be running all that hardware. Get at the very least a 600W.

I don't know what to say about your motherboard, but a micro ATX might not be able to handle the 8800GTX purely due to size (the motherboard is close to 24x24cm in size...the 8800GTX is something like 28cm in length. See, I'm using metric too).

Anyway your best bet with the motherboard is probably going to be to look for a full ATX. If that processor/memory combo you're looking for is what you want, try looking at this motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131048

DDR2 800 memory seems to be the most supported on Core 2 Duo ATX motherboards, so upgrading the memory to that may not be a bad idea either. Of course when you go ahead and do that you need to check for compatibility between all of your hardware.

Upvote 0
Definitely a bigger power supply...preferably a good brand, not just some generic no-name crap that says it has 600 but performs worse than most 350's would. Enermax, Antec etc will do you proud (there are others too, those are just a couple off the top of my head)

You shouldnt need the HD cooler as long as the case is well ventilated and not too cramped, i run 3 seagates (2 in RAID so at least 2 working at all times) and never needed one due to good case cooling. Wont do any harm to have them though, especially if you plan on any overclocking.

Otherwise very nice setup :) But i would definitely look into whether your 8800 will fit as Hobo said...just in case.

Upvote 0
Hi Set up looks fine apart from the PSU, if it does actually run at 400 its OK but you are on the limit. If you buy a cheap generic go for a big one 600plus if its a well known make 5-600 should be fine. A micro ATX board should'nt be an issue as the slot size is what counts not the size of the board.

Upvote 0
A micro ATX board should'nt be an issue as the slot size is what counts not the size of the board.

Not always...i had an MSI nforce 1 once that couldnt take a (at the time) top of the range 5900 Geforce as the capacitors on the mobo got in the way of the ones on the gfx.

Admittedly that particular geforce was the size of most small european countries and cost more than their average GNP, but i think thats what they mean by it not fitting. I shouldnt think it will be a problem, but ya never know.

Upvote 0
You say your getting the core 2 duo e6700, the new quad cores which are out are starting to drop in price and they are better for the long term. If i were you i would wait for them to drop in price and get one. I'm getting a new PC soon, and was going to get an 8800GTX, Core 2 Duo extreme X6800..... , but then saw that the core 2 quads were out and were dropping in price, so atm i'm just waiting to get a core 2 quad extreme x6700

Upvote 0
Extra memory: Crucial 1GB DDR2 667Mhz

I wouldn't bother with that extra memory. Install your memory in pairs, this irons out compatability issues.

As other people have mentioned i would ditch that power supply. The GTX is a fairly thirsty card so you want a good quality 500 - 600W PSU. Antec, Seasonic, Enermax, OCZ, Tagan, Corsair & Hiper are amongst the best.

For the motherboard i would personally go for a Intel 965 or 975X Chipset, the Nvidia Nforce chipsets are excellent too but if you dont plan to overclock your system and you want rock solid stability then an Intel branded motherboard with a 965P chipset will do you very proud.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the advice.

You have a monitor? If I may ask, what is it?

I bought a 22" TFT widescreen half a week ago.

If i were you i would wait for them to drop in price and get one.

Dammit, I have waited long enough. :pI'll take a look at that one though.

EDIT: as far as I know the Core 2 Duo is actually faster than the Quad? Quad = 2400Mhz, Duo = 2670 MHz. Can anyone confirm?

I wouldn't bother with that extra memory. Install your memory in pairs, this irons out compatability issues.

Do you mean I should order either two or four sticks of memory?:confused::confused: Why not two of 2Gb, and 1 that is 1Gb? I doubt I'll need 4 gig... or am I wrong?

Upvote 0
Somebody might have mentioned this but you do know that you cant run DX10 on XP, right? I believe that 8800 is a DX10 capable card so It would **** if you had to run it in DX9. Not that there will be a whole hellofalota DX10 games out anytime soon (event he current vids of FC are DX9), just thought you might wanna know.

Upvote 0
well the price drops for the intels should be taking effect today. So you should be able to get a good amount off for the cpu. The only thing i would do is try and wait for the new ATI cards. There $400 card is supppose to have the same performance as the gtx. This may no be 100% true but it should be out in 3 weeks and it worth waiting if you can. I know i am waiting to see before i get a new video card.

Lol i am still using my audigy gamer (5 years old)
no need for the the hdd cooler get a case fan or something.

Upvote 0
Well I will probably get hung drawn and quartered for this but I installed Vista on a machine a few days ago and as a Operating System I am more than pleased.

I have not started playing games as of yet but I will start installing a couple of Source games and I am going to take a look at a UT2004 mod as well.

As far as connecting to the Internets, well, it done it all on its own, I just typed in my wifi N

Upvote 0
Thanks for the advice.

I bought a 22" TFT widescreen half a week ago.

Dammit, I have waited long enough. :pI'll take a look at that one though.

EDIT: as far as I know the Core 2 Duo is actually faster than the Quad? Quad = 2400Mhz, Duo = 2670 MHz. Can anyone confirm?

Do you mean I should order either two or four sticks of memory?:confused::confused: Why not two of 2Gb, and 1 that is 1Gb? I doubt I'll need 4 gig... or am I wrong?

The Duo running @ 2670Mhz will be a little bit faster but hardly noticeable in games as your frame rates will be through the roof with either processor. The advatage the Quad has is in its name. Its more suited for workstation use than gaming as time stands now. Hardly any games are multi-threaded so they wont make use of 2 cores, never mind 4. Although supreme commander is supposedly optimized for multiple cores along with the upcoming Alan Wake and Unreal 3 engine powered games. So they are starting to creep in. Anyway if you have the money and need to upgrade then the Core 2 system will do you well for 2 years at least. I am still running a single core Athlon 64 which is more than adequate for my needs.

The memory i have PM'd you about. Hope it was useful.

Upvote 0