• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Not One Step Back!

Well, the Russians were ordered to kill their own men if they retreated.

yes, and all german soldiers have been cowards and nazis like in Saving Private Ryan ...

To kill soldiers was NOT common in the Red Army. It happend. But it allso happend in the german AND US-Military. War has its own rules. If you have to retreat, you have, if single soldiers leave there positions thats a different story, it can happen that they get punished for it hard. If one soldier leave, others might as well, thats a reason why, at least in US, soldiers with combat fatigue, soldiers heart etc. or today just PTSD had to be send to a hospital as fast as possible. Not only for their saftey, but for the moral of the whole squad.

I'am all for realism, but the Red army was not that untrained and bad equiped army, so many think. It had periods where divisions lacked in equipement and troops. BUT ALSO MANY OTHER ARMIES, GERMANS AND USA INCLUDED.

W-SS divisions, in the last periode (44-45) tended from very well trained and equiped divisions to some, equiped just with 37mm paks and something not much better like a forke, bolt rifles from the WW1. Amerikan soldiers have been in afrika 1941, very bad trained, equiped and lacked heavily in discipline, after their defeat in casarine a whole regoranisation startet. The same happend with the Red-Army between 41 - 43.

I always read about "red army killed their soldiers, omg!", ... why not reading about, what the Wehrmacht did with cowards between the war? Particularly in the end period of the war. Red Army droped droped papers that proved its owner that he wanted to surrender. You could have been killed already for just "reading" it sometimes. Civilans have been killed, when they show a white flag out of their window or explained in the public how "sensles" it is to defend Berlin.

Ehh, i'm not a history buff.

Maybe we could implement what you're talking about into the game, like have teammates that retreat too far worth some serious "not one step back" kill points.

you have that already. Ever tried to leave the fighting area to far to the borders of the map?
:rolleyes:

USE YOUR IMAGINATION! Think about it, like the NVKD or your officer is hunting you

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Robo-Hitler. Now that's a stupid suggestions. I bet your only source of proof is a video game! How unrealistic!

I really like the Not-one-step-backwards idea and it is perfectly realistic that soldiers shot their comrades just because they ran in the wrong direction for a few meters. I saw it in "Call of Duty" AND "Enemy at the Gates" so the data isn't plugged outta thin air but it is actually crossreferenced!!!
We also need the serverside option to give only every second Russian a rifle and the others only get ammo. This is especially important for maps where the Russians were attacking after they surrounded the place...

Upvote 0
I was trying to share a funny idea, and instead I met with hatered. If owning a thread makes boosts your ego, I'll sell you my forum account, then you'll really own something.

Chuck_norris_punch.gif

Upvote 0
Ehh, i'm not a history buff.

Maybe we could implement what you're talking about into the game, like have teammates that retreat too far worth some serious "not one step back" kill points.

If you're not a history buff, you probably shouldn't be making statements about what is and isn't "realistic." In this case, I think the main problem is that you claimed "It will be more realistic" which, of course, invites the history buffs to pick you apart. And rightly so, because your suggestion wasn't realistic. It might be entertaining as a mutator, might even be fun and funny, but it isn't actually realistic.

I also don't think you were met with "hatred". More like disdain. But that's probably because the history buffs out there get a little tired of people constantly claiming this or that is or isn't realistic when they don't know what they're talking about.

Upvote 0
Ok, so because I'm not a complete **** history buff, I know absolutely nothing about ww2 history, right, I gotcha ya.;)

So maybe I was wrong in saying that the Russians also out numbered the Germans. Perhaps it was the other way around, right? So it wouldn't make sense to use the "not one step back" idea to help balance the odds, while still giving Russians more reinforcements.

Upvote 0
Realistic means as close to the war as you can get. Now go travel back through time and ask any soldier how much fun they are having. I'm sure they're having a blast.

suggestion fails:rolleyes:

So you're telling me that you don't have fun when you play this game?

Having fun playing this game is such an insult to the actual pain and suffer those fallen soldiers have endured. It's no fun, and no laughing matter. :D

Upvote 0
Ok, so because I'm not a complete **** history buff, I know absolutely nothing about ww2 history, right, I gotcha ya.;)

I didn't say that. I have no idea what you do or don't know about WWII history. I was merely offering a little insight into why you got the response you did. Getting defensive about it won't help matters any, by the way.

e I was wrong in saying that the Russians also out numbered the Germans. Perhaps it was the other way around, right? So it wouldn't make sense to use the "not one step back" idea to help balance the odds, while still giving Russians more reinforcements.

No, it wouldn't. The way to handle the Russian numerical superiority aspect is simply to give them more reinforcements. The way you balance something like that is through other factors such as better equipment (IE: STGs vs. Mosin Nagants), positional advantages (IE: Germans are on the defensive and hold the high ground), other map advantages (IE: the map time is designed to work in favor of the Germans -- they only have to hold off the enemy for X number of minutes); give them armor or artillery support. There's lots of ways to improve balance that don't require what would essentially be an invitation to teamkilling.

As a practical matter, how would you design the mutator to be able to tell when a TK is legit and when it isn't? What data could the game track to determine when someone should get -2 for a TK vs. +2 for "executing a coward"? What if someone's running backwards but are merely doubling back to loop around on the enemy and get them in a crossfire? And huld server admins handle this sort of thing? Most admins kick or ban when they see someone intentionally TK. How would the admin be able to make a call as to when a shot is a TK vs. an "execution"?

I think your idea might work as sort of a goofy fun mutator like, say, an all panzerfaust map. But (a) it's not realistic and isn't the way to approach other realistic issues (like Russian numerical superiority), and (b) would be a pain in the ass to code. But hey, if you want to make the mutator, by all means, go for it. I'd be interested to see how it played, although I think it'd probably just be a novelty.

Upvote 0
In the Battle of Stalingrad weren't half of the Soviet troops charging through enemy lines had nothing but a handful of bullets ? Only high ranking officers would get armaments. The unarmed recruits would have to scatter weapons from dead comrades. Why not have something like this in RO: O ? but increase the player tickets on the Russian side since they had large numbers of bodies to throw at the Germans.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
yes, and all german soldiers have been cowards and nazis like in Saving Private Ryan ...

To kill soldiers was NOT common in the Red Army. It happend. But it allso happend in the german AND US-Military. War has its own rules. If you have to retreat, you have, if single soldiers leave there positions thats a different story, it can happen that they get punished for it hard. If one soldier leave, others might as well, thats a reason why, at least in US, soldiers with combat fatigue, soldiers heart etc. or today just PTSD had to be send to a hospital as fast as possible. Not only for their saftey, but for the moral of the whole squad.

I'am all for realism, but the Red army was not that untrained and bad equiped army, so many think. It had periods where divisions lacked in equipement and troops. BUT ALSO MANY OTHER ARMIES, GERMANS AND USA INCLUDED.

W-SS divisions, in the last periode (44-45) tended from very well trained and equiped divisions to some, equiped just with 37mm paks and something not much better like a forke, bolt rifles from the WW1. Amerikan soldiers have been in afrika 1941, very bad trained, equiped and lacked heavily in discipline, after their defeat in casarine a whole regoranisation startet. The same happend with the Red-Army between 41 - 43.

I always read about "red army killed their soldiers, omg!", ... why not reading about, what the Wehrmacht did with cowards between the war? Particularly in the end period of the war. Red Army droped droped papers that proved its owner that he wanted to surrender. You could have been killed already for just "reading" it sometimes. Civilans have been killed, when they show a white flag out of their window or explained in the public how "sensles" it is to defend Berlin.

you have that already. Ever tried to leave the fighting area to far to the borders of the map?
:rolleyes:

USE YOUR IMAGINATION! Think about it, like the NVKD or your officer is hunting you

Britain also had a reputation for shooting their own men if they had acted in cowardice but that was mainly in WW1.

Upvote 0