• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Over 10 new maps and increased player limits for Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45

So the 10 new maps are only the custom maps we already played? Bummer, I thought that we would get some hot old maps into Ostfront.
I agree that this is a bit of a disappointment for those who were waiting for the BIG NEW UPDATE, it is only a official release of custom stuff (without the armoured beasts mutator!).
It is great that RO brings us free updates and things like that, but don't call it new maps while they aren't from TW.

*I hope that the big update will still come*

Upvote 0
So the 10 new maps are only the custom maps we already played? Bummer, I thought that we would get some hot old maps into Ostfront.
I agree that this is a bit of a disappointment for those who were waiting for the BIG NEW UPDATE, it is only a official release of custom stuff (without the armoured beasts mutator!).
It is great that RO brings us free updates and things like that, but don't call it new maps while they aren't from TW.

*I hope that the big update will still come*

If not for the maps, what about the higher player cap? Don't forget about that. This is a big update to me.

Upvote 0
sweeeeet. I can't believe people can complain about new features and 10 new maps...
Seriously. What new features? What new maps? A feature of 50 slot server? That's only one, and was first introduced by community players (to be correct, it was 44 slots, but what the heck). Those maps are the ones we had in MCP 1 and 2. Yes, they were in beta stages, but one can't call them new. They can be downloaded via Steam, cool, but where's the big difference in this and downloading via RO itself? New AT gun and tank? -->Thank AHZ.
omg you shouldn't be allowed to play this game if you complain about the hard work these people put into a game
I was enthusiastic about all other updates, because they all contained new stuff done by TWI. This situation is quite different. basically, they give the same, but with official support. This ain't bad, just I don't see why the big excitment around this news?
And I understand that TWI is working on a new game, and they better dedicate time and money to this project instead of RO, which is quite good with me, I'm waiting for it also, but next time a patch comes out, please call it a patch, not a big update.

Upvote 0
Well as one of the custom maps involved i am over the moon to have been selected for this honour. Yes TWI didn't make the maps but they have offered and provided there vast experience in helping us to improve our maps. I for one as both a server admin, player and mapper realise the great advantage having the maps released through steam will mean. No lenghty downloads joinging a server, no files placed in wrong folders, custom mappers will now be able to utilise the ahz guns and tanks without needing to bundle them with their map. Basicaly the advantages are numerous and much appreciated. I dunno about you but i can say its been a while since i have personaly spoken to a lead mapper of any game who offered his personel help in fixing an issue apart from twi ;)

Upvote 0
A community should be able to criticize the devs and that's the things most are doing now and I think they are right to do so. Blind support is never good, and neither is constant criticism (think Fallout fans). People have been hopping for a big update for a while, they have been throwing ideas here and there (see the numerous WE WANT KING TIGER threads). Now, what they got is 10 maps made by the mappers, edited by the mappers with a few adds by Tripwire (I would like to know what they did in fact), plus 64 slots servers. I can understand their disappointment. They feel like it's over and RO's dying without support

Tripwire does not have the financial means nor the time to continue supporting RO ? Fine but then be honest with it. Or on the contrary they will continue? Well, then show us. But adding custom content is I'm afraid not the best move in this case, there is a high probability, it's going to be taken the wrong way.

Any devs team should know that a hardcore game community hates being taken for a fool (I am not talking of the EA/Console kiddies, may their brains RIP), see Falcon 4.0, Fallout, Thief communities, all great games but ending up quite badly when support to the fanbase failed, ie in most case the community took it to itself to add new content to the game. PR BS does not work well with hardcore fans, they tend to hate it. It works much better with the console kids or EA stuff (BF).

Anyway, back on topic, thanks to the mappers, to the AZH team and to the guys who made the 44 slot servers possible. Thanks to TW to add it to the core game.
But when you look at RO, I see five maps being played, danzig, kaukasus, krasnyi, odessa and basovka. Those maps are really at the core of RO, at least to me, despite me hating some of them. They are straight forward, focus on infantry engagements at different ranges (SMGs in odessa apartments and then rifles in the Tower)... I'm sorry but Berezina, BDJ, Orel, Leningrad are not popular maps despite them being well-crafted maps, they are too big and not adapted for RO gameplay. As a friend of mine says, they are mappers map, not maps meant to be played. Don't take me wrong, I appreciate the work done on those maps, but I am not sure they will be played once officially added to the game. I am afraid they will end up like Barashka and Bondarevo. I am not even sure competitive ladders such as ROLadder will add them to their maplists.

And the 64 players capacity is for me not the brightest idea. Most servers can't handle Arad with 32 players and barely basovka with artillery falling on both sides. 32 players is already a huge mess and with 64, it's just grenade spamming. Chaos and confusion and for me, no fun. It's nice to look at but not my kind of thing to play on. I know some people disagree with this. =)

So, overall, I'm a bit disappointed and hoping for more.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Did anyone see the changelog yet? I know I haven't

(and I post this as a ro player and forum reader, I have no other inside information)

Don't you think you should wait with the crticism untill you know what is actually in it?

I think it is quit harsh the way this patch is discussed with only a press release as the source.

Wait untill you know what you are talking about.

Upvote 0
Good point Butch and I agree with you 100%. TWI has gone way above and beyond any other game developers in the industry today with support, patches, and updates, all for betterment of their gaming community. Let me add my thanks to the mappers, modders, coders, and especially to the TWI staff for their continued support of their customers!

Yes, and I imagine that they are holding up on any list of fixes until they are sure of which ones will definately make it into the update. After all, they don't want to name something they think will be included only to find out it doesn't work as intended and won't make it into the update.

Upvote 0
Don't you think you should wait with the crticism untill you know what is actually in it?
For me: I'm giving my thoughts about this part of the news, since we don't have any other. And correct me if I'm wrong, but Ramm said that this is basically all: maps and 55 slot server? And some minor bug fixes that don't deserve to be mentioned on the front page?
If there will be some other stuff in the patch (I really hope so), what haven't been mentioned yet, then will discuss it also.

Upvote 0
Nice!

And everybody, stop whining like a little child. Yes criticism is good, but you are getting these things for free. Don't forget that. I honestly don't understand how you can disapprove of this update. "I want THIS, not THAT!!!".

That's not criticism, that's just immature.

TWI will not release what you want. They will release what the community wants.

Just accept that it's impossible to please everybody, and that this is a great update to RO overall. The addition of the custom maps will result in them getting played more often (I've never played Tcherkassy which looks very interesting, now I have the chance), and the increased player limit is simply superb. It increases realism and immersion by a long shot. Yes it gets more hectic, but that's war. You just have to be more careful.:p

Then there's tank riding, a new tank, and for the first time an AT gun.

Yes some of these things aren't exactly "brand new", but most RO players have never had the chance to play with these things. I think only a few people have the patience to keep up with all the downloads, and betas, and versions, keep installing the same maps over and over, etc. Some of you are underestimating the favour TWI is doing to the custom mappers by releasing all of this to everybody.

That's definitely what I call a good update.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So your angry with the Devs...

...because they are helping release custom maps from the community?

There is nothing a mapper would hate more then a team of developers help make their map look nicer and run faster. The only thing worse would be to reward those mappers with new computers then release their work on steam for thosands to see.

...because they created the code to allow for an increased player count?

Those bastards!

...because your a whiney *****?

Yep.

No i'm not angry. I just refuse to jump on the bandwagon and prefer to think and observe things for myself.

Personally i think its great that TW supports this game and congrats to them. I'm just pointing out what some people and I (half) may think about this update.

To some extent I'm testing the community, i'm throwing out some anti-TW propaganda to see what response it gets and the best response so far has been mmtt's. He is thinking differently to other people, doing an analysis on the effects this update might have on the community and the game, comparing it to other cases and finally concluding it with his own opinion.

A friend of mine who has been playing RO since the soldier of fortune days stopped playing this game a long time ago. He believes it ( as he has stated on these forums) has become or is leaning towards a game for the masses. Not the masses as in CS:S, but that it is more of a "boot it up for a while, shoot some people for an hour or two and leave" and not the '"You want to play some RO?", "Yeah,sure" and then about six hours later someone says they think its about time to get some food' it used to be.

He is not the only one. (And i do not mean myself)

So i have those guys saying that kind of stuff in one ear and this community saying positive stuff in the other. So i throw the negative stuff at you lot and the positive stuff at them.

Hey i'm like marmite. You either love me or you hate me:p

Upvote 0
And some minor bug fixes that don't deserve to be mentioned on the front page?
If there will be some other stuff in the patch (I really hope so), what haven't been mentioned yet, then will discuss it also.
Even if the "leaning bs" is fixed with this patch (which is a major fix - I ain't saying if it's bad or good thing - I'm just saying it's major ;) ) then I don't think it's worth mentionning on the front page since if you do so it is at the same time admitting that the game was crippled by it. They are going to advertise the positive stuff not about getting rid of negative stuff and bugs that shouldn't have been here in the first place. At least that's my reasoning :D

Upvote 0
Nice!

And everybody, stop whining like a little child. Yes criticism is good, but you are getting these things for free. Don't forget that. I honestly don't understand how you can disapprove of this update. "I want THIS, not THAT!!!".

That's not criticism, that's just immature.

Just because something is free doesn't mean its manna from heaven. If someone gave you a shot glass full of antifreeze for free would you drink it? Further, read what you have stated and then what you've called others for stating their opinions. Sound familiar?

Relax man, everyone is entitled to an opinion... whether you elect to agree or disagree is your choice... but to go around telling others to shut up in so many words is a bit much.

Remember, regardless of what's said, Tripwire can glean good information from every post here. Therefore, its all a help to Tripwire.

Upvote 0
Did anyone see the changelog yet? I know I haven't

(and I post this as a ro player and forum reader, I have no other inside information)

I think it is quit harsh the way this patch is discussed with only a press release as the source.

Wait untill you know what you are talking about.

Polite criticism is legitimate concerning the way things were presented- I almost wet myself when I saw the title :eek: ... but lookin further..come on! Berezina (great map) was here for at least a year now and most veterns know each and every corner there.

Disappointment is inevitable.

As for me, give me the 3rd person bug (leaning exploit) fix and Im happy.

Upvote 0
Even if the "leaning bs" is fixed with this patch (which is a major fix - I ain't saying if it's bad or good thing - I'm just saying it's just major ;) ) then I don't think it's worth mentionning on the front page since if you do so it is at the same time admitting that the game was crippled by it. They are going to advertise the positive stuff not about getting rid of negative stuff and bugs that shouldn't have been here in the first place. At least that's my reasoning
No, Athena, I think this is not that situation. They did say that some of the armour system's points were fixed (which means they were broken), they've fixed MGs and told about it, they've redone animations etc. There's nothing to be ashamed of when saying that we fixed this and that, imo.

Upvote 0
I dont understand "this is free so stop bithcing" messages.First of all we all paid for the product,ppl can ask for more coz they've already paid for a mod and that is literally support,since they could have kept playing it for free.
I am not saying TWI should do whatever community wants,but ppl have right to ***** after waiting 6 months for a decent patch or have right to state that they are disappointed with support given by TWI.

Upvote 0