• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Aside from being a tanks oil mat in the field...

Rahgdol

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 22, 2007
...(or parking stall), anyways, just curious if anyone has ever tried to sight in a tanks round on the enemy? Tank concealed just right, and some dude with binoc's on a rise out in the field calling in the round? How did it work if it had been tried, and if it has not, like to catch up with someone on ARAD tonight and try.

Raaaaaaggggg-dollll....out.

I think he's trying to ask if anyone has used binos to spot tank rounds and guide them to the enemy. Like a friendly tank is concealed and doesn't have a great view of the battlefield, so another friendly will use his binos to let the tank know where to fire, and depending on where the round hits, how much to adjust range, barrel angle, etc.

Upvote 0
The problem is the flat trajectory of most of the tank guns, esp. at the short ranges most tank combat occurs, so it's difficult to be completely hidden and still hit the target.

It is possible to get into position where you can't be seen, but can lob shells out of the dead-ground and hit the target, but it's more by luck and the oppurtunities will be few and far between.

Upvote 0
Yes, I've done it before in a Tiger on Orel with a spotter up on the Eastern Heights walking me toward a target upwards of 1400m. I did have the initial advantage of getting a smoking hit before he ducked into a depression, so I was at least able to get in the vicinity prior to expending too many rounds in that little exercise. Shooting at long range at a target you can't see isn't the most productive of field activities- I could have done much more damage elsewhere on targets that were more accessible.

As for using a main gun as high-trajectory artillery, I've never tried it but I don't think it would work anyway due to the game 'ceiling' of the sky. I've shot a Tiger's main gun at full elevation only to see it impact on 'something' in mid-air.

So, other than for semi-direct fire (as described first) I don't think it's practical.

OTOH...when and if playable mortars get in the game we'll see some real differences in that department.

Upvote 0
The case would work with the tank being hidden behind bushes, not a hill. Yep should work but the enemy tank has to be totally unaware otherwise he'll move and it will be impossible for the spotter to keep up. Due to the hitpoint nature of damage giving the target a chance to move, I don't see it being all that effective.

On the shooting over the hill stuff, I don't find that effective since with the overmodelled richocets my shots just bounce off the roof even though the armor is really light. I've had Tiger shells bounce off BA-6 (those cannon guys) roofs, sad.

T.

Upvote 0
I've done it. It was with a guy called Winters something or other. I did have him in my buddies but lost him when i formatted HD. He sighted for me on the Black day July map. We went round in a pair or in the same tank. He was good, a real team player. Didn't care about points, just wanted to defeat the enemy using tactics & skill. That one game stands out as on of my most interesting on RO.

Upvote 0
He's asking if anyone uses infantry spotters to work with tanks. I have done this on occasion but it was not planned, lost my tank and helped out on foot by relaying enemy movements till I got picked up.

ive did something similar once, but i allmost never play tank maps :rolleyes:
i was TTing with someone, but we had a great position and as the driver i got out and got busy trying to keep the german AT infantry away.
pistoled one german, took his k98 and fausts, and proceeded to intercept flanking halftracks and tanks, while the tank was keeping the enemy away in front. It was on Bondarevo i think, with a Farm, Ruins and the town objective. .. cant remember. anyway, it was nice. but i guess it isnt what was implied from the initial post :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
And if you use HE from a main gun, you'll get a different trajectory - can certainly be used as indirect-fire weapons at longer ranges... could be an amusing way to spend a few minutes, while some barsteward creeps up on you and shoves an AP round up your tailpipe :)
More like a Clown car-Teleport-man-purse, than a tank getting in behind you.

Upvote 0