• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

folding stock pps43 and mp40

Jaesperson

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 24, 2005
what do you think about the ability to fold the stocks of the mp40 and the pps43?
you could use the "attach bayonet"-key to collapse the stock for example. this could affect the free aim in a positive way, the gun control in a negative way (recoil kicks in harder when in IS) and somehow affect the buttsmack (cant decide which way, yet)...

They did use these guns with the stock folded fairly often. But... mostly just as a indoors thing when they didnt have all that much room to move around. Mostly it was folded just to make it easier to carry. But since it was carried folded it was also fired when folded when they didnt expect a fight but had to fight back. Having it folded wouldnt give you any advantage to a bash at all hitting someone with that metal stock would hurt just as bad as hitting them with any other part of the gun. but... realisticly you would most likely hit someone with the barral anyway. hitting someone with the broad area of the weapon would hurt less then hitting them with the small tip of a barral. think pressure over a area. like stepping down on a nail does alot more damage then stepping on a board just because all the pressure is focused on a smaller point. jab someone with the barral if it dosnt knock them down or out or kill them you can always still pull the trigger since you didnt change your grip on the weapon. if you were going to get that close to someone anyway you would most likely stab them or shoot them. bashing them with the gun isnt realistic. Need to remember these guys wore helmets most of the time. Cracking someones skull open is really the only way to be sure they will go down and stay down with a blunt weapon like that. If you did have to be silent and you could sneak up on them you would stab them or slit there throat. The lack of a knife in the game is a mystery to me. A knife is more then a weapon its a tool for survival. would be used for all sorts of stuff. Damn near everyone would have a good knife on them.

As far as adding folding stocks into the game... Im all for it simply because it would be realistic but.... Other things should be added in first. a knife for example. selective fire on the ppsh and mp41 the ability to empty a rifle without firing all the rounds off. Tanks that can drive over a 6 inch curb without getting stuck. You know all the little things that make the game so much father from realistic then it could be.

Upvote 0
They did use these guns with the stock folded fairly often. But... mostly just as a indoors thing when they didnt have all that much room to move around. Mostly it was folded just to make it easier to carry. But since it was carried folded it was also fired when folded when they didnt expect a fight but had to fight back. Having it folded wouldnt give you any advantage to a bash at all hitting someone with that metal stock would hurt just as bad as hitting them with any other part of the gun. but... realisticly you would most likely hit someone with the barral anyway. hitting someone with the broad area of the weapon would hurt less then hitting them with the small tip of a barral. think pressure over a area. like stepping down on a nail does alot more damage then stepping on a board just because all the pressure is focused on a smaller point. jab someone with the barral if it dosnt knock them down or out or kill them you can always still pull the trigger since you didnt change your grip on the weapon. if you were going to get that close to someone anyway you would most likely stab them or shoot them. bashing them with the gun isnt realistic. Need to remember these guys wore helmets most of the time. Cracking someones skull open is really the only way to be sure they will go down and stay down with a blunt weapon like that. If you did have to be silent and you could sneak up on them you would stab them or slit there throat. The lack of a knife in the game is a mystery to me. A knife is more then a weapon its a tool for survival. would be used for all sorts of stuff. Damn near everyone would have a good knife on them.

As far as adding folding stocks into the game... Im all for it simply because it would be realistic but.... Other things should be added in first. a knife for example. selective fire on the ppsh and mp41 the ability to empty a rifle without firing all the rounds off. Tanks that can drive over a 6 inch curb without getting stuck. You know all the little things that make the game so much father from realistic then it could be.
Spot on Plaid!

Upvote 0
I thought of a benefit for having the stock folded in closed quarters, the ability to whip it around faster which got me to thinking. Pivit stance. You stand at the corner to a hallway and plant one foot and pivit out into the open and fire instead of side stepping or moving forward and sliding the mouse over.

Upvote 0
what do you think about the ability to fold the stocks of the mp40 and the pps43?
you could use the "attach bayonet"-key to collapse the stock for example. this could affect the free aim in a positive way, the gun control in a negative way (recoil kicks in harder when in IS) and somehow affect the buttsmack (cant decide which way, yet)...

Out of the hundreds of thousands of mass produced SMG's used on the Eastern Front, how many do you think were actually modified later on to be folding stocks? Probably next to none. The Germans certainly didn't have time to do that, needing every last weapon in use ASAP. The Soviets were in the same boat, they had millions of men fighting by 1945, who needed to be kept in arms. And when you are dealing with lower and lower quality training as the war went on, there would be no practical use for a folding stock.

Most of the folding stocks you see were modified post-war, when aftermarket kits became available. Even now, you are hard pressed to find guns with folding stocks unless they were modified after manufacture, or you do it yourself.

Upvote 0
Out of the hundreds of thousands of mass produced SMG's used on the Eastern Front, how many do you think were actually modified later on to be folding stocks? Probably next to none. The Germans certainly didn't have time to do that, needing every last weapon in use ASAP.

Of course there were no MP-40's modified with folding stocks, but the reason for that was because they didn't need to be modified like that because they came off the production line with them allready installed.

And what do you mean by "The Germans certainly didn't have time to do that." If you knew your basic WWII history you would know that the MP-40 was made from machine pressed parts and was extreemly cheap and quick to make, even the American "Grease" Gun was designed to duplicate the MP-40's ease of production.

The Soviets were in the same boat, they had millions of men fighting by 1945, who needed to be kept in arms. And when you are dealing with lower and lower quality training as the war went on, there would be no practical use for a folding stock.

Since when is there no use for a folding stock? Not only does folding the stock make the firearm easier to carry and store, folding it also shortens the weapon up by quite a bit and can make it much easier to manuever in close quarters.

I may not have been in actual combat, but as a regular paintball player I cant tell you how convenient it was for me to buy a folding stock for my 98 Custom, and it has helped me quite a bit on the feild. If anything I feel that folding stock is the most tactially valuable addition I made to my marker.

Most of the folding stocks you see were modified post-war, when aftermarket kits became available. Even now, you are hard pressed to find guns with folding stocks unless they were modified after manufacture, or you do it yourself.

Where are you getting this information from? If your so confident that all these firearms were equiped with folding stocks after the war was over, then I'm sure youll be happy to explain why I can do a simple Google image search on "MP-40" and find pleanty of period photographs showing MP-40's with the stocks folded. Even on the pictures where the stock isn't folded the mechanism is clearly visable for all to see.

As long as adding a feature like this doesn't increase hip-shooting I'm all for it. Perhaps without the stock extended, bringing your iron sights up would be slightly quicker.

Although I do see your concern, I dont think you'll need to worry about this, not only did Jaesperson suggest this for the PPS43 for the Russians too, but when you pick up an MP-40 you get the same advantage as well, so it not like only half of us will get to use the new feature. And even if you were not equiped with the MP-40 or PPS43, you wouldn't be at a huge disadvantage anyway, because the folded stock would also make the weapon a little more wild in its recoil and would only help when indoors, but would also make that player extreemly vulnerable at medium to long range. (At least that seems like what were agreeing on so far.) So both folded and unfolded would have advantages and disadvantages.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't see any real reason not to add something like this. It would give the weapons (MP40, PPS43) positives and negatives to performance depending on whether the stock is folded or not. It would also make RO probably the only game to do something like that. It's practical and it has it's uses, there's only a chance for more immersion here. It makes a great trade off from the rifles which each recieve bayonets (excluding a few which didn't accomodate one). Rifles get bayonets, some SMG's get to fold their stocks for faster draw speed/freeaim and ****ty recoil.

To cover the rest, add missing features for the other weapons. Someone said selective fire for the PPSH41 and the MP41, and I'd suggest giving the G41 a bayonet as it was designed with a lug.

This idea gets my thumbs up. I'd love to see this in-game.

Upvote 0
To cover the rest, add missing features for the other weapons. Someone said selective fire for the PPSH41 and the MP41, and I'd suggest giving the G41 a bayonet as it was designed with a lug.

*Applause* Excelent Reise, you even reminded me of a suggestion I gave as a feature for the C96. (If it ever gets included that is.) :)

The suggestion was for the "attach bayonet" key to attach and detach the holster to the butt of the pistol. (Which for the C96, the wooden holster doubled as a detachable stock.)

Upvote 0
I don't think it's worth the effort to add this. Shooting with the stock folded is only really advantageous in situations so cramped that you can't stick the gun far enough away to shoulder it. We already have hipshooting for situations where you don't have time to raise the sights, and the stock isn't exactly a huge obstruction, tucked under your arm as it is.

If the game had a feature where the gun barrel would automatically lower when you got close against an object (ex. leaning through a door way) then yes this would be a good feature. Right now it's not.

Upvote 0