• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A terrifying thought

How about a Full WWII game, instead of one front like most games, why not have all fronts. Though you couldn't really call it Red Orchestra anymore. Make a new game, but keep most of the current gameplay. Have American tanks against German tanks, like the Hellcat. Afrika Corps slugging it out with Brit tanks, maybe even a Japanese map. There are so many things that haven't been used from WWII (even though it seems everything has been tapped.) What about Launching V1 "Buzzbombs" at the enemy? Or even using Katyusha rockets on armored formations in volleys. Using mounted AT guns, and several other ground based units. Calling in aircraft to bomb targets as well as artillery. There are so many possibilities for games that you could have REAL snipers as well as designated marksmen. A marking system for aircraft that is different from artillery. So much is possible that not everything can be created on release, but it can be released later if made to function properly.

P.S. VALVe was once kinda owned by Vivendi, yucky.:p

Upvote 0
These guys have been fine-tunning RO for about 5 years, so I'm pretty sure they would like to move on to something new and along the way have come up with some nice idea's and innovations.

So I'm all for a new game, new concept, whatever the content !

I await anything new from ID software, Valve, Epic and a few other developers, lets hope that Tripwire will enter into that category.

RO has been on my computer since the very early days so you may call me a Tripwire fan-boy or a Valve fan-boy even a John Romero fan-boy, I don't care, a good developer holds his own.

What I'm wondering is if the next Tripwire production will be distributed through Steam !

Oh, you can also call me a Steam fan-boy if you want, coz thats been on my computer since the very early days as well !

Personally I would like to see a Franco/Russian/Napoleonic game, but I live in France in a town where one of Napoleon's Generals was born so I am a little biased..

Thanks for the Tanks...

Upvote 0
How about a Full WWII game, instead of one front like most games, why not have all fronts. Though you couldn't really call it Red Orchestra anymore. Make a new game, but keep most of the current gameplay. Have American tanks against German tanks, like the Hellcat. Afrika Corps slugging it out with Brit tanks, maybe even a Japanese map. There are so many things that haven't been used from WWII (even though it seems everything has been tapped.) What about Launching V1 "Buzzbombs" at the enemy? Or even using Katyusha rockets on armored formations in volleys. Using mounted AT guns, and several other ground based units. Calling in aircraft to bomb targets as well as artillery. There are so many possibilities for games that you could have REAL snipers as well as designated marksmen. A marking system for aircraft that is different from artillery. So much is possible that not everything can be created on release, but it can be released later if made to function properly.
Just play Forgotten hope(a bf1942 mod) to keep you busy,untill fh2 for bf2 released and if u can during that time, join one of the realism tournaments , i have never ever experienced such a gaming experience not even anything a bit close to it.

Upvote 0
Although Cod and CS communities have technically 'split', with the numbers involved in these games the effect is not really a big deal.
If all of an average night's RO population joined CSS:s for the evening I doubt it would be noticed. Dod is smaller but still has a fair no. of players on each versions.

However RO will soon have people presumably playing MN, DH , CC and that tank mutator, with possibly more to come, thinning the out numbers somewhat. By the time the hypothetical RO2 comes out (what, say 2-3 years time?), there is potential for further splitting as it's unlikely the new title will replace the features of all these mods. Until that time it's fair to assume some players will stray to other titles like ArmA or others that haven't yet been released - a number at least equal to the new RO players probably.

Anyone who thinks RO community won't split at least to some extent if a next version is released is presuming phaps a too idealic future, one where we all stick religiously with RO and it's mods and at just the right time, when we are satisfied we've had enough, RO2 comes and the players move over to a man.

Games like DOD:s, CC:S and CoD2 have had ppl upset about how the new versions don't have the 'feel' of the old - and these are very basic run and gun games. Remembering by comparison how complex and unique the RO experience is, there is very little chance it can be replicated in a new version.
With 4 year + veterans of RO by this time, there is naturally every chance many ppl here won't like the style of a new game, just because it's slightly different- not bad, but different. Remember as a community Ro is probably more critcal and prone to scutanise gameplay than any other in this genre, some even to a point of re-making a huge part of the game.

People may say 'RO2' would attract new gamers - agreed but probably not many who have tried Ro already and do not play it now. I don't think that many reject Ro due to graphics, more that they cannot/will not invest the time to overcome the learning curve.
And if it did win them back you can be pretty sure we would be talking about an RO2 that most of us would accuse of being dumbed down, and stick with this version anyway.

It would be ironic, but phaps the best long term prospect for the series, if RO2 is released, would be RO all but dying out beforehand.

Personally my specific hopes for TW future titles would be...

A ultra realistic tank combat sim - development of what we have now.
A separate Vietnam based ultra realistic mostly infantry combat sim with quality A.I for Co-op missions
Both these titles naturally with an unparalleled attention to detail, as you would expect.

Upvote 0
Perhaps the CS and CS:S communities split up because the sequel didn't introduce "new" features. I mean the Source games (Day Of Defeat and that Counter Strike you might have heard of) don't have new maps and weapons(not to many). They have this new engine and the gameplay is different (worse?). But in some way they are "just" remakes.

These games are in my opinion intented to built a new community and catch new players.

I am a bit bit sick of the WWII setting and I do not want a remake of RO in the UE3 (Playing the same maps for the rest of my life?). I demand a sequel of RO diffrent but following the same ideas of realism and historical accuracy.

I think the two games should have the same community (stay united guys) each game would give you a different experience.

And good old RO would get retired with pride ... when everybody is sick of the same old maps and the mods which will hopefully overplayed soon ... and no new content is released

I have to say, those are my sentiments exactly...
Hell, I played cs for 4 years starting at the Mod Beta5 long before steam came out.
I skinned the ****s out of it with the coolest hi res guns and player models and Britteny spears in hostages.
CS:S is the same maps and same guns... whats the point... I want to have fun, not play in CAL to show off my 1337 sk1llz.

So for an RO2 to have great success, it needs to have a GREAT DEAL of added features... and I am sure everyone can figure out a great deal of added feature so I still think it is possible and also a decent move.

I also think RO will not retire for another 4 years...
Lets say a new game is out in 2009, RO will still have servers up to 2011 and counting.
even if only 5 to 10 servers, but they will always have people for when you want to go back.
Also... many people are students or do not have that much money to upgrade the computer all the time...
EVERY RO PLAYER with today's half ass computers (Early p4's/Athlonxp's with lots of ram and decent video) who will MILK the crap out of the pc before buying a new one... will only jump on the newer game when they buy a brand new pc (to milk for another 4 years)

Also, it seems that the maps are endless (many people will create their small fun maps) and I am thinking the final update will have all of the goodies (tanks and weapons) the devs have created but put on the side for whatever valid reasons (not historically accurate or whatnot)

Regular people are also given sooo many tools to add whatever goodies they wish to run in their own servers...

I would personally love to see a Unreal3 game with a war withing the 60's to 80's era with choppers.... WHILE Keeping the SAME Gameplay as RO. (I would also hope for bots that are worth playing against and a possibility to create team games with 3on1 ratios :)

I think that would sell very well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
RO2 will not divide the community. The only chaos it will cause, if any, is that the UE3 is not overly friendly to the do-it-yourself level designer, since a strong knowledge of modelling and texture management will be mandatory - at a minimum. The days of the shake and bake maps will be over. Maybe that's a good thing?
I agree. The biggest hurdle in community/mod developments for "next gen" game engines will be the technical aspect. While UE3's tool set is amazing, in that it takes a lot of the tedius stuff out, it will be harder to create all the new art content. The polygon jump is huge from this generation to "next gen". Maps will also be able to be larger or a lot more complex (even more so with the inclusion of physics). Luckily the art department of most gaming communities contains a lot of dedicated people. Because even if the mod your with fails, you still got your content to show off or put in another mod. Code guys usually don't get that luxury.

While no one is expecting the first mod to come out for UT3 to looks as good as UT3 does. There will be a push for better looking and more complex mods. So while the days of doing a MP mod by yourself are over (there are still some SP mods made by 1 or 2 people), in return, hopefully mods first release's will be a lot better than they have been in the past.

Another hurdle might be running servers. I doubt a server that could run 44 players in RO smoothly could handle all the extra processing of a UE3 game with even 24 players. Though I don't know how much server side processing UE3 does so maybe there is the off chance it will run smoother than RO with about the same number of players.

Upvote 0
I could be wrong here, but didn't RO ostfront began because TWI won the UT mod competition and they were granted the right to use UT engine for selling? So to use UT3 engine don't they need to win another of them competitions?:)
I think I heard somwhere that the idea already started with CoD. But they moved over to the UT engine.

Could not say if they did it particularly for the "contest" but Ro was a long time, played and developed for Unreal 2003. Maybe even before anything with the contest in mind ... in cant rember it that clearly anymore. But the contest is at least one reason for vehicles in game, and i think that was not a bad decision at all. IF they get now a good fix. It will be more or less perfect.

The only reason why i will probably not buy RO2, is cause my machine will not be able to handle it, cause of the high perfomance U3 will need probably ... i guess that will be for me the only drawback sadly. But, thats how it is sadly:p

Upvote 0
I was very affraid of community spliting when RO:O was announced... now mod is dead... But it was real JUMP from mod to RO:O... even the game is still pretty same, TW added many features that make old RO almost "unplayable" in comparison to new version ... lets assume RO2 would be in development - than all we need is another big step forward that will exclude all those so much hated bugs in RO:O (penetration, lean-clipin, etc. etc...). And tbh I would be very happy to buy newer and much better (in terms of gameplay!) version with nice UT3 engine as bonus.

Also I think that today RO community is somehow more conservative (= older) than CS community ... I, personaly, prefer to pay for better RO version instead of leaving RO and learning to the new game.

Another analogy with CS... CS1.6 is still alive because competetive community decided to stay with it. Best teams play CS1.6 not CSS. And "top" competetive CS community is very very small fraction of the whole commuinity. For RO, I presume to say that competetive community is MUCH stronger fraction (my very personal feeling ofcourse) so if this competetive fraction would move consistently to new RO2 than it could work pretty well. Of course there would be no such risk with game from completly different genre (but than I would be crying very much for missing RO2)

Upvote 0
Also the reason that people still play counter-strike in the first place are idiots, so you have to factor that into any 'why is the community split' argument.

just because you don't play counter-strike doesn't mean the fact that everyone should stop playing it.I for one, adore playing css on lan with my friends at the internet cafe, and alot more than RO.

Upvote 0
Im currently not sure what the recommed hardware setup you need to play the next gen of game engines. but on the demo movie of u3 they told that the u3 engine has a better grapich qualty and taken less fps then the current source engines..

I hope that TW will stick to the WII setting.. I don't really bother if they fix an US vs Axis theater this time.. but what I do hope that they stick to realsime.. I had those lucky games with crapy hitboxes.. css / dod:s / cod2 and go on..

Upvote 0