• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
I can see why many of these cartoons would be offensive, such as the first one you see on the page..."Scrub me Mama with a Boogie Beat". However, some of them, like "Mississippi Hare" (1949), starring Bugs Bunny, weren't too terribly offensive in my opinion. I remember seeing that one when I was little, not even 10 years ago. They probably still air it on occasion. I would hardly call it banned. It's got a bit of southern dixie land stuff in it, that evokes memories of slavery and inequality, and they show the body (no head) of an African American man working hard in a cotton field, presumably getting paid (allbeit not much probably) this time, seeing as how its 1949. The sound and the imagry evoke powerful and sad memories of the past, but I would hardly call it offensive. It is not like the cartoon depicts African American people as weird looking, foolish, lazy sub-humans...the terribly offensive way they were portrayed in other cartoons like "Scrub me Mama..."

I guess nobody really cares. I just though that "Mississippi Hare" didn't belong there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I guess nobody really cares. I just though that "Mississippi Hare" didn't belong there.

I don't think any of them should be banned. Please don't get me wrong here. I don't think kids ought to be watching these. There are many cartoons that you can't see anymore that weren't on that list. Try to find a non-bootleg copy of Disney's "Song of the South." What I hate more that not being able to watch these cartoons I grew up with is that when they are played on TV, they're censored. A few recent examples:

Dixieland Droopy: Cut of part where fleas take a smoke-break.
Speedy Gonzales: Don't show them anymore.
Any cartoon where an Anvil is dropped is cut.
Disney's Little Mermaid: Cut the part out where Ariel loses her top.

The list is endless. I'm glad to see sites preserving these cartoons.

Upvote 0
I don't think any of them should be banned. Please don't get me wrong here. I don't think kids ought to be watching these. There are many cartoons that you can't see anymore that weren't on that list. Try to find a non-bootleg copy of Disney's "Song of the South." What I hate more that not being able to watch these cartoons I grew up with is that when they are played on TV, they're censored. A few recent examples:

Dixieland Droopy: Cut of part where fleas take a smoke-break.
Speedy Gonzales: Don't show them anymore.
Any cartoon where an Anvil is dropped is cut.
Disney's Little Mermaid: Cut the part out where Ariel loses her top.

The list is endless. I'm glad to see sites preserving these cartoons.

Hear hear! Banning any form of speech is a scary idea, and should be opposed. Even if I disagree with it, I can't stomach saying "you can't say that!"

Well, unless you're talking smack in my house... then I have the right. :p

Dude, BLITZ WOLF is BANNED!? WTF!? I remember that one.

I lol every time I read the Foreward:

The Wolf in this photography is NOT ficticious. Any similarity between this Wolf and that (&*#$&) jerk Hitler is purely intentional.
My wife just read a book by one of the directors? Animators? At Warner that worked on this. Some asshat producer said this about Blitz Wolf: "do we really want to poke fun at Hitler like this? I mean, we don't really know who'll win the War at this point."

Anything that producer deemed "not funny" was instantly inserted in a toon, cause it was a guaranteed funny.

Great find, Strother.

ETA: I always respected the third little pig in Blitz Wolf the most. Wonder why.... :p

Upvote 0
Hear hear! Banning any form of speech is a scary idea, and should be opposed. Even if I disagree with it, I can't stomach saying "you can't say that!"

Well, unless you're talking smack in my house... then I have the right. :p

Dude, BLITZ WOLF is BANNED!? WTF!? I remember that one.

I lol every time I read the Foreward:

My wife just read a book by one of the directors? Animators? At Warner that worked on this. Some asshat producer said this about Blitz Wolf: "do we really want to poke fun at Hitler like this? I mean, we don't really know who'll win the War at this point."

Anything that producer deemed "not funny" was instantly inserted in a toon, cause it was a guaranteed funny.

Great find, Strother.

ETA: I always respected the third little pig in Blitz Wolf the most. Wonder why.... :p

The Cartoon Network aired a WWII cartoon special several years ago (5?). Blitz Wolf was one of the cartoons they played. Even then, it was censored. The sign in front of the pigs houses that read "No Krauts Allowed" was blurred out.

I just don't understand how Cartoon Network can play all this Anime but not play classic Tex Avery or Friz Freleng cartoon. Not that I have anything against Anime. I just don't understand how playing something Ultra Violent (where characters die) is okay but playing something where an Anvil is dropped on someone's head (and they live) is not.

At the very least they could play some of these classics during Adult Swim.

Upvote 0
Speedy Gonzales banned!?:eek: You've gotta be kidding. I know he is an old stereotype that is unfair to Latin Americans, but I still can't imagine banning it. My brother-in-law is from Guatemala and he doesn't find him terribly offensive...just a silly cartoon and an old stereotype. I'm fairly certain that you can still see Speedy Gonzales up here. If the cartoon had been banned, it must have happened only very very recently.

Upvote 0
Speedy Gonzales banned!?:eek: You've gotta be kidding. I know he is an old stereotype that is unfair to Latin Americans, but I still can't imagine banning it. My brother-in-law is from Guatemala and he doesn't find him terribly offensive...just a silly cartoon and an old stereotype. I'm fairly certain that you can still see Speedy Gonzales up here. If the cartoon had been banned, it must have happened only very very recently.

I haven't seen them in years here in the US. My favorite one is where, as usual, Sylvester is trying to catch Speedy for the entire cartoon. Then, at then end, another cat suggests he go after Slowpoke Rodriguez. So Sylvester runs off with the other cat telling him to wait. Next you hear a gunshot and the other cat say, "Slowpoke Rodriguez, he pack a gun."

One of my all time favorite banned cartoons is "Wideo Wabbit" where bugs dresses up like Groucho Marx in a parody of "You Bet Your Life"

wideowabbit.jpg

"Welcome to "You Beat Your Wife" Mr Fudd. . . So Mr Fudd, Have you stopped beating your wife?

Fudd: Yes! I mean no.

Here is a list of censored Loony Toons & MGM Toons:

http://looney.goldenagecartoons.com/ltcuts/

It's VERY long!

Upvote 0