• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Crash reboot

Ryan Cleary

Feb 27, 2007
Hi, I've searched all threads and I've checked the stickys, and my specific problem isn't there.

Basically, I start up RO via Steam and it starts fine, I then click "multiplayer" in the menu and thats also fine, I then click "internet" and my computer reboots.

No log files are created and no error messages pop up.

I've tried deleting system folder then verifying cache, that works but then when I exit the game (after playing internet) and goto play it next time and click internet, it reboots my PC again!

I don't run xfire, and I have the latest drivers for both my video card and my soundcard.

thanks in advance :)

Update: I deleted my user.ini and redorchestra.ini and then booted the game, clicked Multiplayer, then internet.. this time it didn't reboot my PC but it dumped me to desktop w/ Critical Error message

Build RedOrchestra_Build_[2005-11-27_10.48]

CPU: GenuineIntel Unknown processor @ 3325 MHz with 1022MB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS (9371)

General protection fault!

History: UGUIMultiColumnListBox::preDraw <- (UT2k4Browser_ServerListBox Package.UT2k4Browser_ServerListBox) <- UGUIMultiComponent::preDrawControls <- (GUISplitter Package.GUISplitter) <- UGUISplitter::preDraw <- (GUISplitter Package.GUISplitter) <- UGUIMultiComponent::preDrawControls <- (ROUT2k4Browser_ServerListPageInternet Package.ROUT2k4Browser_ServerListPageInternet) <- GUIMultiComponent::preDraw <- (ROUT2k4Browser_ServerListPageInternet Package.ROUT2k4Browser_ServerListPageInternet) <- GUITabControl::preDraw <- (GUITabControl Package.GUITabControl) <- UGUIMultiComponent::preDrawControls <- (ROUT2k4ServerBrowser Package.ROUT2k4ServerBrowser) <- GUIMultiComponent::preDraw <- (ROUT2k4ServerBrowser Package.ROUT2k4ServerBrowser) <- GUIController::NativePreRender <- UInteractionMaster::MasterProcessPreRender <- FPlayerSceneNode::Render <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level Untitled <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 65686372 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 09D08800 1340 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 335*4 <- UALAudioSubsystem::Flush <- UALAudioSubsystem::Shutdown <- UALAudioSubsystem::ShutdownAfterError

Upvote 0
Update: After that last crash I decided to delete my system folder & then verify cache.

Started RO (it opened in full screen, strange if the user.ini was deleted when /system was deleted) and then clicked Multiplayer, computer rebooted. (instead of rebooting when clicking Internet, it rebooted when clicking Multiplayer!)

Upvote 0
A search on that error tells me this.

0x0000008E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

A kernel mode program generated an exception which the error handler didn’t catch. These are nearly always hardware compatibility issues (which sometimes means a driver issue or a need for a BIOS upgrade).

If that is not the case further searches tell me it can also be a sign of hardware about to fail on you, such as a motherboard or ram.

I suggest download this to test your ram - http://www.memtest86.com/

To quote somebody else on this
More often than not, this error is telling you that there is a memory conflict sometimes from bad Ram, sometimes from video ram, sometimes with the conflict between system ram and the video, and sometimes from drivers wanting particular memory addresses already held by another process.

I hope this is helpful to you. To see where I got most of this information and more drop this following line of text into google: Error code 1000008e

Upvote 0
Bought new PC.

Bought new PC.

Listen. I've been able to play this for a whole day ( when I first bought it via steam) and then it screws up? this isn't my PC, I can play every other game and application just fine. And my RAM and GPU are all updated with the latest drivers. Yet, this stupid game still fails to work.

Upvote 0
Does it give the GPF after playing or a restart.

For the Restart try this.

Can you make a list of programs and versions of applications that block acces.

This can be that you're not on an admin account on your windows account.
You're using a program to lock/hide certain folders as lock xp
Firewalls/Virusscanners that try to block ro.

Can you upload your redorchestra.log aswell

^^

For the GPF. Try deleting your entire red orchestra system folder and letting steam reacreate it :) If your computer crashed and restarted there is a good chance that 1 or more files got corrupted. So just clean out the system folder.

Upvote 0
I've cleaned the system folder many times, and upon starting RO and clicking any menu item my computer just restarts itself. There is no error messages, and when I view the redorchestra.log file there's nothing in there.

There isn't anything conflicting with this (I don't run xfire, msn or any other IM application. I don't run ANYTHING except steam).

Upvote 0
ro prob

ro prob

Ryan, I get a similar error message. This happens about 1 out of 15 times I play RO. During a game, it freezes and crashes, my graphics wig out and I need to reboot to reset everything. Here is the error message i get. Any ideas?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CPU: GenuineIntel PentiumPro-class processor @ 2396 MHz with 1021MB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS (9147)

IDirect3DIndexBuffer8::Lock failed(D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE).

History: FD3DDynamicIndexBuffer::AddIndices <- FD3DRenderInterface::SetDynamicIndexBuffer <- ATerrainInfo::Render <- RenderLevel <- RO-Gorlitz_beta3.myLevel <- FLevelSceneNode::Render <- FPlayerSceneNode::Render <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level Gorlitz <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 65686372 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free

Upvote 0
Ryan, I get a similar error message. This happens about 1 out of 15 times I play RO. During a game, it freezes and crashes, my graphics wig out and I need to reboot to reset everything. Here is the error message i get. Any ideas?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CPU: GenuineIntel PentiumPro-class processor @ 2396 MHz with 1021MB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS (9147)

IDirect3DIndexBuffer8::Lock failed(D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE).

History: FD3DDynamicIndexBuffer::AddIndices <- FD3DRenderInterface::SetDynamicIndexBuffer <- ATerrainInfo::Render <- RenderLevel <- RO-Gorlitz_beta3.myLevel <- FLevelSceneNode::Render <- FPlayerSceneNode::Render <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level Gorlitz <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 65686372 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free

Is your GCard overcloked? Do you get this problem also on other maps (Gorliz is quite GPU hungry) ? Have you tried to reinstall the graph. drivers again? (with removing first + reg cleaner + drive cleaner aso..) ?

Upvote 0
Just changed my graphics card to the ATI radeon X1300 PRO. Started the game with success, clicked Internet and then clicked Multiplayer. That's when the fun stopped, my game crashed with a Critical Error message:

CPU: GenuineIntel Unknown processor @ 3333 MHz with 1022MB RAM
Video: Radeon X1300/X1550 Series (6677)

History: UGUIMultiColumnListBox::preDraw <- (UT2k4Browser_ServerListBox Package.UT2k4Browser_ServerListBox) <- UGUIMultiComponent::preDrawControls <- (GUISplitter Package.GUISplitter) <- UGUISplitter::preDraw <- (GUISplitter Package.GUISplitter) <- UGUIMultiComponent::preDrawControls <- (ROUT2k4Browser_ServerListPageInternet Package.ROUT2k4Browser_ServerListPageInternet) <- GUIMultiComponent::preDraw <- (ROUT2k4Browser_ServerListPageInternet Package.ROUT2k4Browser_ServerListPageInternet) <- GUITabControl::preDraw <- (GUITabControl Package.GUITabControl) <- UGUIMultiComponent::preDrawControls <- (ROUT2k4ServerBrowser Package.ROUT2k4ServerBrowser) <- GUIMultiComponent::preDraw <- (ROUT2k4ServerBrowser Package.ROUT2k4ServerBrowser) <- GUIController::NativePreRender <- UInteractionMaster::MasterProcessPreRender <- FPlayerSceneNode::Render <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level Untitled <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 65686372 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 09878800 1340 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 335*4 <- UALAudioSubsystem::Flush <- UALAudioSubsystem::Shutdown <- UALAudioSubsystem::ShutdownAfterError

Upvote 0
Update: Deleted system folder, tried again launching the game and it crashes at exactly the same spot:

CPU: GenuineIntel Unknown processor @ 3333 MHz with 1022MB RAM
Video: Radeon X1300/X1550 Series (6677)

History: UGUIMultiColumnListBox::preDraw <- (UT2k4Browser_ServerListBox Package.UT2k4Browser_ServerListBox) <- UGUIMultiComponent::preDrawControls <- (GUISplitter Package.GUISplitter) <- UGUISplitter::preDraw <- (GUISplitter Package.GUISplitter) <- UGUIMultiComponent::preDrawControls <- (ROUT2k4Browser_ServerListPageInternet Package.ROUT2k4Browser_ServerListPageInternet) <- GUIMultiComponent::preDraw <- (ROUT2k4Browser_ServerListPageInternet Package.ROUT2k4Browser_ServerListPageInternet) <- GUITabControl::preDraw <- (GUITabControl Package.GUITabControl) <- UGUIMultiComponent::preDrawControls <- (ROUT2k4ServerBrowser Package.ROUT2k4ServerBrowser) <- GUIMultiComponent::preDraw <- (ROUT2k4ServerBrowser Package.ROUT2k4ServerBrowser) <- GUIController::NativePreRender <- UInteractionMaster::MasterProcessPreRender <- FPlayerSceneNode::Render <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level Untitled <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 65686372 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 09878800 1340 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 335*4 <- UALAudioSubsystem::Flush <- UALAudioSubsystem::Shutdown <- UALAudioSubsystem::ShutdownAfterError

Upvote 0