• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Realistic HUD option

Crusher

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Belgium
The dream of some players here is to play ROOST with no hud but still being able to know how many ammo you have, and where you're shot.

To not make this game even more difficult I would suggest an option where you can bind parts of your hud to some keys. Like "m" shows how much magazines you have left, actually it's the only button you need because the chat is too important to get rid of and you could still watch it in the chat box. The health indicator would be something like this, when you get shot, your avatar yells "AAAAGH, mein [insert bodypart in german]", same thing in russian and each bodypart would have a diffrent effect, like shot in the hand, lots of sway, shot in the foot, limping (less then normal limping because otherwise people would suicide), shot in the gut means you will die in a minute or so, is your head grazed by a bullet, your screen will be blurry then, and so on and so on.
The stance indicator isn't that important and the stamina makes your screen turn blurry too.

Reactions: Nylle
You don't really need a new button for this. Didn't you know you can gradually reduce/restore the hud with the + and - key?
I play without hud, and just in case when I need to check my ammo I quickly press +, see how many mags/pfs I got left, and press - again to hide the counter again. If I want to check my health, I just restore (and later reduce) the hud some more.

Upvote 0
You could add a button to make your avatar count how many clips/mags/rounds (depending on what weapon(s) he has) he has left and display it on the screen, much in the same way we get "Magazine is heavy/light/very light"

Upon the "ammo check" button being pressed, your avatar takes makes one hand free (by putting away a large weapon like a rifle or holding it with one hand; if he's holding a pistol he just uses his free hand) and just sticks his hand in his ammo pouch and counts the clips off, perhaps out loud. In general, it should take less than 20 seconds, with variations depending on the type of ammo being counted, e.g. counting PPSH-41 magazines should take less time as they are so large, whereas a sniper would take longer since he is counting individual cartridges.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I like that... there really isn't a need to tell us how heavy a magazine is when we put it in the gun, as it wont be full very, very rarely, considering our players' life spans. Having an option to check how heavy it is on the run would be immensely helpful, and coupled with that other suggestion about counting the mags/clips left, there would be no need for a HUD. The stamina bar can be removed outright, I liked it better without in the mod days. :)

Upvote 0
What should they yell when hit in the balls? :)

something along the line of: now the enemy wont have to kill me, ill do it myself :p

but i like the options that were given, being:
- counting out loud the amount of mags in your ammo bag
- checking how heavy your mag is while moving, meaning taking out the mag, looking in it to see how many is in there ,and a quick weigh.
- screaming where you got hit if you get hit.

all of these options would take out the HUD, leaving nothing in your sight that keeps you out of the action. it would add to the feel of the game greatly for me :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
but i like the options that were given, being:
- counting out loud the amount of mags in your ammo bag
- checking how heavy your mag is while moving, meaning taking out the mag, looking in it to see how many is in there ,and a quick weigh.
- screaming where you got hit if you get hit.

I really like this idea. It would make you feel more "real" IMO.

This next one is a sort of joke, really. But maybe in future...:p

There also could be sort of "extra feature" that no other game has. A real difference between shooters and realistic war games. It should be implemented at least in RO2 (it`s gotta be it fellas, at least I hope so ).:)

Imagine: USB- output electric wire system. There would be pads (like in hospital series:rolleyes: ) for you head, arms,chest, stomach, feet and so on...

And when you get hit in game, you would receive an electrick shock to pad on area where you were hit. It would be marvelous.

MG42= 7 shocks at one burst. You would certainly be sitting on floor after that. Ouch. And what about when you get hit by artillery. 36 shocks all over your body...

And there is your fear of being hit and dying introduced. 230 volts will keep your head down and balls near the ground.:D

Upvote 0
I dont' see how this is any more or less realistic. If I got shot in the arm, it's 50/50 that I'll yell either "OWWWWW!!! MY ARM!!!" or simply "OWWWWW!!!!"

As for counting mags, in real life I can pull up the top of my magazine pouch and look and it takes me about the same amount of time it'd take to look down at the HUD. Which is pretty much why the HUD's there.

Upvote 0
I dont' see how this is any more or less realistic. If I got shot in the arm, it's 50/50 that I'll yell either "OWWWWW!!! MY ARM!!!" or simply "OWWWWW!!!!"

As for counting mags, in real life I can pull up the top of my magazine pouch and look and it takes me about the same amount of time it'd take to look down at the HUD. Which is pretty much why the HUD's there.

Well it's basicly just taking the game a step further in realism. Alot of people would like to play ROOST with no hud.

Upvote 0