• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Hipshots - strategy for accuracy

Coudn't agree more. He is right.

You are both wrong, it is the other way around.

the way to hip shoot, if you want to do it, is to get used to the weapon you want to hip shoot with and then ONLY play with that weapon or the stock rifle.

I play, except on certain maps, 2 weapons as german. The MP41 or KAR98.

Why is this?

Well, it is because I have the Mp41 play memorized.

If you want to be an efficient method to hipshoot, here is the cheezy way to get used to it.

note: I have just started playing this game again regularly and I still find people are very easy to kill. I play on the 2manny.com main server, and I am already 21st on the server with only a weekend of playing.

Anyway, to learn how to hipshoot with smg/rifle you have to remember that most of what you see on the screen is not "real" in the sense that it actually captures were your gun is going to fire in a "serious" way, as your guns muzzle is roughly oriented toward the middle of the screen.

So how do you orient yourself when the characters always carry a different gun? This is easy, head tags.

Find a teammate, orient on them while NOT scoped until you see their head tag, then move left and right till the tag dissapears, if you are good you can do this while running to the battlefield. You now have the scope of were the center of your screen is. Now, what you do is line up were you see the right most side of the opponent and call that visual demarcation the "center" of where you want to shoot.

Now, if you allign that center (essentially aiming slightly to the left of your enemy off the center of where you estimate the bullet to go) and fire you will generally hit your opponent 75% of the time, or more. Since this is a rough estimate, the best time to do this is when someone is close to you, and if they are not then you should use iron sighting.

Recently I have had 10 consecutive or more kills using this method with an mp41 on odessa when I could force close quarters combat.

I have been called all manner of names and been called a cheater as well, but it is just using that basic method and practice with it using only one of two weapons, the KAR98 and Mp41.

I prefer the Mp41 because it has "stronger" bullets so that the first (most accurate) shot will likely kill them instead of having to fire and re-orient like you have to with the Mp40.

The stg44 works with this method but it causes some issues because its second shot is always wide and when people are wiggling around trying to not be hit by you it becomes more of an issue.

Upvote 0
I think you last couple of guys are getting a bit carried away with this... :)

For the calibrating using the head tags.. and then hitting 75% of the time by aiming a little to the left... why not just fire at a wall and see the bullet spread from there?

For the scanning... I disagree with that, the approach I use (which I took from a book sometime ago where a sniper described how to shoot accurately at a running man), is this (aiming down the sight of course):

- Spot the target and direction of target.
- Position your aim ahead of the target path.
- Keep your aim still and steady, allowing the target to move into your aim.
- Fire just as target gets into aim (give a little lead depending on distance).

With that approach I often hit targets running perpendicular to my line of sight at distances where they are only just in range for my graphics card to decide to draw them (which admittedly isn't perhaps very far given the weakness of my card, but still).

For hip-shots, I have to say I use the instinct approach and rapid fire with a semi, and find that highly effective. If I a have a bolt action... then I fire a shot, miss, then panic and run around trying to bash/reload and eventually get bayo'd.

Upvote 0
There is a bug with the hipshoting.. Wich will point your gun always 2 the center.. of your screen.. My little secret haha.. But im sure most of the better teams now the trick.
I know exactly how to do it, and I can say it's not a trick it's an exploit and anyone who uses it is a ****ing tool and a cheater in my opinion. Especially moreso if they use it to hipshoot while sprinting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
One physical thing that I find helps me quite a bit is having the freedom to move my mouse anywhere quickly. This may seem obvious, but I cant tell you how many times I've been killed because my mouse has been in an unfortunate position where I couldnt move it quickly enough or at all in the right direction.

Yeah a big mousemat is good for that, you won't run out of space so easily. I've personally found that a low mouse sensitivity will help to make those hipshots as you don't get so much wobbling around as you would with a high sens. Generally speaking RO doesn't require a high sens anyway. At the end of the day hipshots just come after you have put in a lot of play hours, it's just practise and a bit of luck thrown in :]

*Edited for typos -.-*

Upvote 0
when is ro going to fix this game ruiner

what game ruiner ?

oh, and
zomb.gif

Upvote 0
Well, some people may argue the hip-shooting is actually too accurate to be described as realistic. The best riflemen in RO are almost as (maybe even more...) accurate from the hip as with IronSights. Maybe it is this ability to shoot rather accurate while hipping that makes some people want to "fix" it....just guessing...

The problem is that even in a totally "realistic" game, you'd still have a lot of people who are great at hip shooting. Why? Because in game we're all immortal and get reborn again and again to practice our skills. In real life, you can (fairly easily) train yourself to be a novice trick shot at short ranges, easily hip shooting a man-sized target with a rifle at 10, 20, maybe even 30m. Of course this never happens in REAL war because if you're trying that, you get shot and die.

If you try it in RO though, you still get shot and die...at first. Then you come back again and again, you'll get killed alot but eventually you get better. This will always be a problem unless we start distributing games with those Men-in-Black neuralizers which wipe your memory after each death.:p

Upvote 0
I like the nuralizer idea that would work wonders for a lot of problems in FPS games. Instantly going back and knowing exactly where the guy that killed you was for example.

The only thing that bugs me about the hip shooting in RO is that is seems it is far to reliable a tactic and it would not be so in most RL situations. Now sometimes luck does come into it, but far to often I see people never even shoulder their weapons... just hip shoot. I believe that there is not enough barrel movement when walking or running in RO, which would greatly effect the hip shooting if the bullets always originated from the end of the guns barrel. Also, I think you have less control of your weapon while hip shooting, so recoil should be adjusted for this tactic and slighty increased. It would be especially detremental for the semi auto rifles. (For those of you that own an M14 or some other similar single action auto go to the range and just pull the trigger as fast as you can at your hip...see how hard it really is) Now, some of the sub machine guns can be fired quite acurately from the hip with a sling and the ability to "walk" your fire onto a target. So I am never as ticked off when a guy using an MP40 hip shoots me as I am when the guy with the bolt does. Extreme close ranges (same room) I get it...30 feet or more, should be way harder than it is currently in game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0