• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Realistic environment/weather effects

Teq

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 19, 2006
I've been thinking for a long time how to slow down the game phase a notch, to make it possibe or even more vital to communicate and coordinate squad movement on the fly...
And I think realistic weather effects would do the trick.

It would be neat if IE the terrain and environment affected player movement and stamina...

Think about stalingrad in the temprature of - 32 degrees.....
Ice everywhere... Freezing your freaking hands off.. making aim really hard...

Just picture trying to rush the enemy just to slip on the icy surface and fall to the ground... The faster u move, the higher the risk of falling..

On evironment like this, we'd have PLENTY of time to communicate and move in groups...

And Snowyforrest in 1meter snow.... Sprinting even 15 meters would bleed your stamina totally...
Battles would be allmost next to static... and infantry would rely on transport to cover larger distances.
Proper use of cover, position, Fire superiourity and coordinated movement would be the key to vitory
icon_smile.gif

And picture Afrika korps... +40 degrees... in sand...
You may sprint a few meters, but ur stamina depletes rapidly, and takes alot of time to regenerate due to the extreme heat.

In rainy summer environments, where the soil is vet and slippery...
A random modifier can make the character fall to the ground a short moment..

My question is:

Would it be able to Mod the game so you could different terrain and temprature affected the players stamina and aim?
---------------------------
The idea is to add a controller to each surface (something like this)>>>

Icy road:
Sprinting = 10 % chance of falling
Jogging = 3% chance of falling
-----------------
Alternative for icy road:
Sprinting = very sluggish movement controlls if you try to change direction
Jogging = Sluggish movement controlls

Muddy/mash terrain:
Sprinting = +25% Stamina bleed, 5% chance of slipping
Jogging = +10% Stamina bleed, 1% chance of slipping

Snow terrain 1m
Sprinting = +50% stamina bleed
Jogging = 25 % stamina bleed

Slope +20 deg
Sprinting = -25%
Jogging = 10%

Temperature:
-30 = Aim sway +20 %
+30 = Stamina regen - 25%
--------------------------
I mean each surface has a sound bound to it... so why not this?

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
The terrain already has an effect. All the vehicles slow down when travelling uphill & frequently slide downhill when parked on a slope, which is very annoying when trying to shoot. If it works for tanks it could work for the sprites.
As for the troops being to disciplined to fall over??? Boy you have been watching far to many films. Troops are just you & me with a few months training. They aren't super human of infalible. Most of the russian army were farmers & peasants.

Upvote 0
Falling is stupid. Well disciplined soldiers wouldnt fall during a charge .

Well, I dont`t think that discipline has anything to do with falling or slipping.

Imagine: "Soldiers, you are not allowed to fall or slip!":)

If slipping could be done well, it would be a good idea, because running with heavy gear certainly worses your balance if you run on icy or slippery surface.

But yes, too much dice is bad thing in "realistic" game.

Upvote 0
Falling is stupid. Well disciplined soldiers wouldnt fall during a charge. There's too much dice rolling, especially for something as importent as movement. Sway and faster use of stamina are good ideas though.

Hm... actually I DO think **** happens... SOmetimes you have to take a risk to gett the hell outta there.... IE an arty strike comming in.. and u run for it... slipping on the ice... and thats it :D

take a look at this clip.... to see how even modern soldiers... **** up :D

Upvote 0
The terrain already has an effect. All the vehicles slow down when travelling uphill & frequently slide downhill when parked on a slope, which is very annoying when trying to shoot. If it works for tanks it could work for the sprites.
As for the troops being to disciplined to fall over??? Boy you have been watching far to many films. Troops are just you & me with a few months training. They aren't super human of infalible. Most of the russian army were farmers & peasants.

Point :)

About the snow and stamina bleed... If you can set snow to become a permanent Upward slope that bleeds stamina or speed... And maybe add a "surface sound to it" so it sounds like ur working really hard to move thru it?

Many complain that this will make the game harder.... I yes, it will be harder for the rambo "run and gun" players...but with proper use of teamwork, tactics, and communcation.. I KNOW it will be something that has never been done before.. .and with great success.. if done correctly offcourse.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's a nice idea, but I think it could be taking the whole realism thing a little too far.

in my PERSONAL opinion realism is never taken to far:rolleyes:
IMO a sloping terrain could be handled like it is in Operation Flashpoint: the more vertical it gets, the slower you go to get up it, ... i dont know how to explain.
anybody with better english knowing Operation Flashpoint able to explain this?

Upvote 0
I think this is a great idea, but it may be a little difficult to implement with the current engine. (unless someone who knows a lot about that specific area can confirm that its compatable. :) )

I think that if your were affected by where your walking, like puddles, deep snow, mud, or a steep incline versus flat land, I think that would add a good amount of gameplay possibilities to RO.

As for falling down and slipping, I like the idea, its a good idea, but I cant deny that many players (including myself) would HATE falling down every so often when were trying to play. I fully support falling down when your shot or you fall, but if its at random I dont see it ending well.

Overall, a very good idea, and if it cant be added into RO, maybe RO2's new engine might allow for this awesome idea.

Upvote 0
I think this is a great idea, but it may be a little difficult to implement with the current engine. (unless someone who knows a lot about that specific area can confirm that its compatable. :) )

I think that if your were affected by where your walking, like puddles, deep snow, mud, or a steep incline versus flat land, I think that would add a good amount of gameplay possibilities to RO.

As for falling down and slipping, I like the idea, its a good idea, but I cant deny that many players (including myself) would HATE falling down every so often when were trying to play. I fully support falling down when your shot or you fall, but if its at random I dont see it ending well.

Overall, a very good idea, and if it cant be added into RO, maybe RO2's new engine might allow for this awesome idea.

:) yes.. Hope the devs or someone can confirm...

About the slipping part, I think it can be implemented well...
Lets say you have a map with many approaches...
One approach has a snowy surface... another one has a very icy surface...
The icy approach you can move pretty fast... but at the risk of falling...
The other approaches are slow, and its impossible to make a succesfull flanking manouver...

You might successfully be able to sprint the icy approach and succesfully flank the enemy... It could be a good laugh as well.. seeing a whole team trying to flank, ending up swinning on the ground... etc :D

Upvote 0
Well for me personally, if slipping and falling was kept only for ice surfaces then I would be fine with its addition into the game. :)

Ice and some muddy surfaces...

Example :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfS6BOIbmfM

-----------------------------
Nimsky: I suggested the "lose stamina faster when in hot weather / running through snow" before, so naturally I'll say "great idea!":)

I dont really like the falling thing though.
I think u'll love it... Atleast if not, falling, maybe a surface that, if you have a certain velocity on direction and try to turn quickly, you will continue the same direction.. (like a car commin into a turn with too high velocity)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I like the idea of having stamina depended on the environment, but the falling... I suppose it could seem like a good idea on paper, but is it really that fun for the computer to decide whether you just died or not? You have no control over that sort of thing, apart from walking everywhere, but that's really not an option in a game as big as RO - even jogging would, on some maps, make it take over three minutes to get to a combat area. And I don't know about you, but making my way very slowly to a combat area, only to have a pretty high choice of being shot by a sniper or MG when I finally get there isn't my idea of fun. It's like the gun jamming thing - would it be enjoyable to be just about to kill an enemy but your gun suddenly jams, and the enemy turns around and kills you?

The thing is, this is a game. You CAN NOT make games realistic unless virtual reality is created. In real life, you have a lot more flexibility of movement. In RO, you only have four stances - standing, crouching, crouching a bit higher and prone. In real life, you have... well, you have a lot more ways of positioning yourself than that. In real life, you know the allies around you, you can tell who they are by their faces. In RO, there are a few faces that the game chooses randomly for each character, so we have to have floating names above peoples' faces when you get near to them. There are heaps of other examples of this - the lack of communication in RO compared to that of real life, the lack of body awareness in RO compared to real life, and so on. What does this have to do in real life? In real life, you can tell if you're going to fall over, you don't just go from perfectly balanced to face flat on the ground unless you're drunk, or you've just been hit on the head by something very hard. Granted, in a combat situation you might not be thinking too much of trying to keep balanced and not falling over, but you can usually tell if you're going to keel over soon and try and do something to fix that or, in a worst case scenario, try and get some cover to fall into. In the game, the only thing that could happen would be you suddenly falling over because the game thought you did so, with no warning.

Upvote 0