• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

rifle accuracy

alright, i notice when you bring up a rifle with IS you can never miss when walking back and forth aiming down the IS. it seems as though even if you are moving it does not effect the accuracy of the rifle. you know, as long as you have the sights on the target you'll hit it

anyone else notice this?

maybe make the rifle a bit less accurate if you are walking back and forth with the sights up?

Depends on how far away you are, but the rifle barrel does sway some when in IS, more as you move along. If you're saying the rifle doesn't bob around ENOUGH, well, that's a different issue.

Also, bear in mind that your bullet trajectory will be pretty flat for the ranges we tend to play at. There's only a few CA maps where bullet trajectory will need to be arced. The urban maps are all straight shots, though, so it's not like your sight would be so off that you'd need to compensate.

But on the weapon bob thing, that I can see to some degree. You can still miss, though.

Upvote 0
alright, i notice when you bring up a rifle with IS you can never miss when walking back and forth aiming down the IS. it seems as though even if you are moving it does not effect the accuracy of the rifle. you know, as long as you have the sights on the target you'll hit it

anyone else notice this?

maybe make the rifle a bit less accurate if you are walking back and forth with the sights up?

That sidestep shot is pretty accurate, but that is as it should be. At the distances you would be sidestepping it's pretty hard to miss in the first place; less than 50 yards. For me, if they are further than that, I lay down to shoot.
If you have a rifle IRL, take it to the range and try firing at the 25 or even 50 yard targets while sidestepping, you should still be able to hit in the "killzone".

Upvote 0
yes i know ive shot many rifles and what im saying is as much as the rifle in-game is swaying im not sure that you should hit dead on wherever the front sight is
Well since your sights are always perfectly aligned how could it be off? Sway doesn't seem to un-align them in the least, though as it is bolts don't have it easy on close maps, and they wouldn't be moving while trying to make a long range shot. So imo it balances itself out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
yes i know ive shot many rifles and what im saying is as much as the rifle in-game is swaying im not sure that you should hit dead on wherever the front sight is

I THINK what you are experiencing is (unfortunately) just an animation. Although the sights seem misaligned while moving they are in fact still perfectly aligned.

Upvote 0
I'd be happy with just a free-IS movement like in Infiltration. :)

I would like that too, I really think if the RO devs tried out that system but tweaked and modified it better, I really think it could work well. And if they added in weapon colission when in IS then I think it would be really cool.

(I should make a topic about that whole concept and see what people think.)

But as for how your sight picture looks while moving when in IS, I think it needs to be changed a little. Because even if your rifle WILL make an accurate shot if your sights are aligned properly, the changes that a soldier has the ability to keep his weapon that aligned WHILE moving around in the middle of combat seem far-fetched to me. (Not that its impossible, but in the midddle of combat its probably a rarity.)

What I would like to see in RO is when you move your weapon side to side in IS, your fore and rear sights will un-align besed on the direction you moved your aim and how fast you moved. (Much like how CoD does it.) This un-alignment of the sights would just re-align after you stopped moving, and the speed at whcih they re-align could be based on your weapon (weight, length, etc. . . ) and maybe how much stamina you have. And of course you could still shoot if your rifle was still un-aligned, but you cant expect you hit your target all the time.

I'm also like to see the normal weapon sway when standing still have some more variation between the fore and rear sights instead of being rock-solid aligned while the whole rifle is wobbeling all over the place. I'm sure if you were having trouble holding your rifle still you wouldn't be able to keep them perfectly aligned either.

And that idea could also work with an Infiltration free-aim-IS with no problem.

Upvote 0