• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Help releive sniper stress

TrentA

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 19, 2006
Georgia USA
I was just in a forum where people were complaining (rightfully so) that they have a hard time sniping because of all the inpatient little so and so's who harass the sniper for the postion and TK them and such, and It gave me an Idea.

Since the "sniper" in the game is a designated marksman, wouldn't it be cool/realistic if say a squad leader or someonne could find the best marksman on the team (perhaps by points accumulated) and offer the sniper position to that player? This could cut down on the people begging for the sniper position.

I was just in a forum where people were complaining (rightfully so) that they have a hard time sniping because of all the inpatient little so and so's who harass the sniper for the postion and TK them and such, and It gave me an Idea.

Since the "sniper" in the game is a designated marksman, wouldn't it be cool/realistic if say a squad leader or someonne could find the best marksman on the team (perhaps by points accumulated) and offer the sniper position to that player? This could cut down on the people begging for the sniper position.

Giving power to designate positions to the squad leaders sounds good in theory, but as I often say, the game has to plan for the idiot factor. There will be far too many idiots who will take every opportunity to screw up the sniper position then.

One solution that would be a little more workable would be to make the sniper class the same as tank class, so that if the sniper dies or loses his weapon, other player classes are not able to pick up the sniper rifle and use it. Just the same as regular infantry cannot jump into tanks and drive them.

However, the need for a solution like this depends a lot on the server you play on. On good servers, with good voice communication, teamwork and mature players, you don't get a lot of TK'ing or teamwounding for sniper rifles, nor do you get the whining. Find a good mature server and stick with it.

Upvote 0
I do not think that it is good idea... it sounds as a good idea but there is no way how to make it fair.. and because only possible usage for this is public than it would not work at all... sry

I think that RO needs some decent system how to make squads, how to allow commander to assign more advanced "orders" than we have now (one rely point)... something that will improove gameplay of RO but will not change it significantly...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
ya know, you are right. :)

I do like that part about the tank class similarity and the assigning of more advanced orders, If you have any thoughts about how to collect everyone into squads and assign orders, I'd like to hear you're Ideas.

and where the Mafia gets involved, there is a counter with the Feds. and that is a whole different war (wow Imagine if the New York Mafia got ahold of the PPsh instead of the Thompson:eek:)

Upvote 0
Someone in another topic suggested that maybe soliders who are not a sniper class should not be able to use the sniper Rrifles as effectively, maybe by including more sway while in the scope or somrthing else.

That idea may not stop as much begging for the class, but it may help stop some of the team-killing that players perform in order to get hold of a sniper rifle, because if they dont spawn as that class it will be useless to them.

Somthing along those lines might work.

Upvote 0
Personally i don't like the idea of the person with the fastest computer taking sniper. However i don't think "giving" the sniper class to someone is a good idea either. Clanners ect will always take sniper in that case. Not only that. what stops two people with fast comps quickly taking Squad leader to give sniper to friends or even themselves? Same problem but even worse then before tbh.

Upvote 0
Wrong. Each person shoots differently & sets his sight to himself. Trust me I do it with my own SA80 Assault rifle with Susat sight. Each one is different. It's the same with the iron sight.

I'm sorry, but that is incorrect, when a scope is properly sighted it does not have to be readjusted for a different user. The same goes for plain iron sights.

The reason it doesn't have to be re-aligned is purely mechanical, and once its sighted properly the scope and the rifle function as one piece.

A scope works by using lenses to magnify an area downrange, aimed specifically at a location that the firearm in question has shown to repeatedy and effectively hit under controlled curcimstances. (Meaning no wind or other variables.) The only adjustments that ever should be made to a properly sighted scope are adjustments for windage or distance to the target, and in combat these adjustments would only be performed by a properly trained sharpshooter or sniper. Otherwise the setting should not change, for it is specifically tuned to that weapon and not a person.

If you find that your scope has to be readjusted for different users that means your scope is mis-aligned to begin with, or the user is not looking through the sight correctly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0