• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map RO-Mannikkala [beta2]

Mr. Neutron

Nov 14, 2006
Beta 2 of RO-Mannikkala is finally ready.
Download:
http://koti.mbnet.fi/~hjungman/Ro-mannikkala/RO-mannikkala_beta2.zip

Changes in beta 2:
-Redone some terrain west of the village.
-Tweaked the spawn system:
*Lowered the respawn times, so people spend more time fighting and less waiting.
*Raised tanks respawn time.
*Axis team now spawn more closer to their objectives
*added an initial tank spawn with 2 tanks to axis team. This spawn is deactivated after 40 seconds.
-Raised round timer.
-changed the armament of the axis team. They now mainly use Russian weaponry to better reflect Finnish force.
-added a sniper class to axis with unscoped mn9130 rifle and binoculars.
-Added artillery for both teams. Artillery also destroy tank barricades.
-added panzerfaust pickups in the village, west position and axis last spawn.
-added ammo resuply areas.
-fixed the damaged roof in the buildings: now you can shoot and throw grenades through them.
-fixed some

Nice :cool:

It plays a lot better than the previous one. Nice to see that you've changed it to the Finnish weapons, the first new race in RO ;) One thing, the Finnish sniper has a normal Moisin Nagant without a scope. EDIT: it is still pretty hard for the StuG III's, maybe you can add some more ambush spots for them?

Maybe you can ask Welt if he can make a finnish Stug skin (with camo) and/or Fennich_FJR6 to make a skin for the germans so they have the finnish uniform (grey instead of feldgrau). And maybe with those cool helmets ;)

014b.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Great work, I have to test this map. I hope there are some servers running this map.

Whilst those helmets might indeed be very cool, to me they just scream, "Aim here!" :)

Finns painted skulls to their helmets to scare enemies, maybe it was somekind of statement also "Aim here if you can". It would be cool to add these kind of helmets to snipers, also it would help see those "helmet" snipers... but only momentarily just before muzzle flash :D

http://www.kevos4.com/Unit War History.htm

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Finns painted skulls to their helmets to scare enemies, maybe it was somekind of statement also "Aim here if you can".
http://www.kevos4.com/Unit War History.htm

Hmm. I seriously doubt this. Skulls are actually not that scary and finns were not that stupid. Hopefully.:)

Wasn`t it just one detachments heraldy, nothing more or less. Very stupid though, at least in summer.

Upvote 0
Hmm. I seriously doubt this. Skulls are actually not that scary and finns were not that stupid. Hopefully.:)

Wasn`t it just one detachments heraldy, nothing more or less. Very stupid though, at least in summer.

Did you read that link, it was in Winter War :)

[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]KEV OS.4 was a fleet unit that consisted of light infantry, cavalry, and ski troopers (bicycle units in the Summer). They were used as a tank killing unit as well as taking on scout/recon duties. The speed of KEV OS.4 was their main advantage, as they could rapidly engage targets and then slip away into the rough landscape. These quick strikes earned this type of unit the name Belaya Smjert , Russian for White Death. KEV OS.4 used these tactics against the massive attack of Russian armor, as the Red Army lost 108 tanks in this region in only two weeks of fighting. KEV OS.4 became known as the Unit Of Death in this time frame, due to the huge numbers of kills they were able to make. To signify this title many in the 4th Division painted skulls on their helmets, with KEV OS.4 taking the lead in this practice. The Russians learned to fear the Finns with the skulls on their helmets, as there were many rumors that made their way through the Russian ranks about these Finns with skulls. One such rumor was that KEV OS.4 took no prisoners and killed all Russians that they came across. This rumor was untrue, but it was quite effective in spreading apprehension through the enemies

Upvote 0
This map bloody owns. It really does. I received a good taste of it my first time playing it with two other buddies of mine (one of them being my roommate, the other my best friend). Tankwise, it's fairly balanced with the Stugs giving ample challenge to the KV1s.

My roommate, however, didn't like it all that much, and complained of having to run too much on open ground. My computer, though relatively fast, loads slow for being on an old Windows load, so by the time I joined, the Russians had already capped the first two capzones. Once the second round started (usually the real round as players begin to get a feel for whats going on and what they're up against), it was a bloody stalemate between the Fins and the Ruskies up on those first two capzones. We, the Russians, only managed to cap only one at a time, but would lose it again when we finally were able to cap the other. It's tough, and if you want to play infantry, expect to do a minor bit of running.

Asthetically, it's a beautiful map. I love, love, LOVE the trees and the fact that they act as tank barriers. You can't just go charging through the forest like you can on BlackDayJuly. No, these trees are real, and they add a more tactical element to armour, which I loved.

Keep up the good work though. I'm going to look for this map from now on to play. It's wonderful to play.

Upvote 0
More tanks for the soviets. It's a bit too easy for the Axis at the moment, atleast on public servers with average skilled players as myself. Soviets also have something like 3 artillery strikes, which isn't very much.. I have no idea how it was IRL, but gameplay vise it should be evened up a bit. It would be neat if it was harder for the finns, it would add some realistic feeling ;) . Also the spawns are rather far away, I'm not saying that they should be closer, but it really gets irritating at times. The trenches are rather plain (but they are working just fine!) and there could be some heavier fortifications as a pillbox or two. A good old finnish korsu would be great! But that depends how fast the fortifications were built.. Maybe atleast a couple "roofed" fox holes could be added to some good shooting positions. I have noticed that in most maps the shooting positions have been done/built/engineered by people who really don't have a clue what they're doing.. but then again, they're usefull only for the time people don't know the map too good.. but thats offtopic..

More craters to dive in! There is artillery coming down, and the ground is flat!? Cap zones could be a bit smaller, maybe. The ground around Mannikkala village is rather open. There could be some bunches of trees with bushes around, for nice MG spots.

Overall feeling is that this map could be a very good one indeed. Needs just some tuning. People who don't like Kaukasus, won't enjoy the run from the spawn at the moment, but then again, mappers should always remember that they CAN'T please everybody, and they SHOULDN'T try to do so.

Nice map. I like it a lot!

*EDIT*: It would be a good idea to add a resupply point for the russians somewhere in the half way to the first two targets. Squad leader really needs more than just two smoke grenades! Maybe around the blown up tanks or somewhere, where it would make sense to find supplies? Also, the minefield warnings are kinda quick, I mean threre isn't time to turn around if you wander too far away ;D

Last edited:
Upvote 0