• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Catalyst

Nov 28, 2006
Russia
How about to change this exotic "box" universal carrier to most popular soviet transportation unit - GAZ-AA

pobeda4181865vb4.jpg

gaz_aa.jpg

How about to change this exotic "box" universal carrier to most popular soviet transportation unit - GAZ-AA

pobeda4181865vb4.jpg

gaz_aa.jpg

Soviets didn't even have real transportation until after 1943, when their industry had been completely moved to the Urals. In the first 6 months of the invasion from summer 1941 the Soviet Red Army lost 4.5 million soldiers, mostly captured because they had no way to retreat, no transportation. There are many documented cases of entire armies being given orders to move and having no way to do so other than walking.

Combine this with the lack of supplies and food that could be brought up to the front between 1941 and the end of 1942, you have starvation, lack of everything from guns to boots, winter clothing and ammunition.

This near total collapse of the Red Army was why the Lend Lease program was in effect, to help the Soviets keep in the fight long enough to become self sufficient again. They moved their entire industrial capacity (which after 1941 was completely in German occupied territory), to the East, the Urals. After 1943 these types of vehicles started to appear, along with the Soviet mass produced tanks, aircraft and everything else. Be cool in late war maps.

There, hows that for the guy waiting for the history guys? hehe

Upvote 0
ah, I remember the horn in the old days too...

Nothin like playin' Dixie when you were about to crush some poor German...

Or half your own team. "Look out guys, corner!"

I also seem to recall that anyone who tried to jump out while it was moving was instantly killed and "credit" given to the vehicle driver. If it wasn't for the TK-punish mutator, there'd have been a lot of session bans being dished out!

Upvote 0
ah, I remember the horn in the old days too...

Nothin like playin' Dixie when you were about to crush some poor German...

Now a horn! That would be a truly useful idea! lol
While driving a halftrack of some sort now, trying to fill it up with guys or get people to not run in front of you when they aren't watching you have to spam the VOIP, "Hey you running, look out!" Crunch!

Upvote 0
[...]There are many documented cases of entire armies being given orders to move and having no way to do so other than walking.[...]
The same goes for the mass of the Germans, the only difference is that they were transported by train close to the border. But then: Weeks of marching, thousands of kilometers, they traded "sweat for blood", by marching faster than the uncoordinated retreating of the enemy.
And yes, I know the differences there, I only wanted to point out for those - and I guess there are some around - who believe that the people were transported by HTs, Trucks ... while only few were.

I don't think those trucks should be included. Back then and today trucks are only used to bring the troops close to certain places. The last kilometers are marched as it is too dangerous for the trucks. Generally this also goes for the HT.

@Nugetti23 They'd be dead.

Upvote 0