• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

JPz 38(t) Hetzer

way to be positive :D , i would personally like to see many more tanks ingame, the only problem as of now being that the ruskie tanks are very OP as they dont really have many of the SPG's they should have to deal with german armour. so instead of giving the germans another nerfed tank, perhaps we could see some armour fixes and a few russkie spgs like the su 85 or 100 (pls ffz not ze uber 152 as it was an ASSAULT GUN and has worse penetration then the su 100)

Upvote 0
i think the thread is only about the hetzer, not other tanks that you want more.
i like the hetzer very much, as i find it the most sexy german tank hunter :p
the advantages it had in real life may not be advantages in RO, as it was reliable, cheap and easy to place in ambush.
it is inferior to all german tanks present in RO at that timeline 44-45 (same gun as pzIV though) but superior to all other most common german tank hunters(wich are not in RO sadly, like the marder)

so adding it on large open maps like orel would be a suicide, but adding it on maps with lots of cover, and NO IS-tanks could make it a weapon of choice

Upvote 0
The Hetzer was definitely a sex3h vehicle, kind of Alfa Romeo of the wehrmacht AFV's - lovely bit of sloping armour there. I dunno how common they were in the Eastern front but I would always prefer a vehicle like this (or even the Flakpanzer 1 - nah, seriously) to one of the beasts that seem to get a large proportion of the community all moist about the gusset.

http://www.achtungpanzer.com/gallery/hetgal.htm for some nice piccies

Upvote 0
I would always prefer a vehicle like this (or even the Flakpanzer 1 - nah, seriously) to one of the beasts that seem to get a large proportion of the community all moist about the gusset

I agree with you on that, I would much rather have this than the TigerII. Besides, its gun was effective, it was quick and was a small target to hit.

Upvote 0
(pls ffz not ze uber 152 as it was an ASSAULT GUN and has worse penetration then the su 100)

Penetration doesn't matter. The size of that shell is colossal. The sheer momentum of that shells was enough to cause a major dent in the armor of a tank, which caused fragments of the armor to rip off on the inside and kill the crew. Just cause a shell does not penetrate doesn't mean it can't knock out a tank. There were reports that at closer ranges it ripped the turret of the tank.

Upvote 0
Hetzer

Hetzer

My experience with the Hetzer is from Combat Mission mostly, I also read, but blast if I can recall where, that it did well in combat if used properly. Which is what I experienced in CM. I know that the Hetzer was used almost exclusively on the Eastern Front. I have seen, and been in one in person, and they are shockingly small. IIRC it was difficult to load shells due to it's size and internal layout.

The advantage to the Hetzer is it's small size and it's relatively extreme front armor angle. In a good hull down position the Hetzer is difficult to destroy if the only shot you have is the front. It has a good Gun the 75mm PaK39 L/48. The Hetzer is a Tank Destroyer.

The Hetzer and the STuG III G are two of my favorite German AFV's. I'd love to see the Hetzer in RO.

Don't know if ya'll have seen this sight but it is an excellent WWII vehicle reference:
http://www.onwar.com/tanks/index.htm

Upvote 0
IMHO, the Hetzer would be of limited value in RO as it stands vis a vis the current selection of maps; Hetzers were ambush vehicles, and with the exception of the various BDJ maps there's just not a lot of proper concealment to make them worthwhile.

I dont' know what the RL specs on the Hetzer's gun traverse are, but if it's as bad as I think it is this would almost make it a necessity to have a minimum two-man crew (left Left LEFT no right a little....STOPP!) if the thing were caught in the open- and if in ambush, that field of fire better be perfect!

OTOH, Hetzers are VERY cool-looking death machines- do we get points for style?

Upvote 0
When I was stationed in germany our post had one outside on display ( Baumholder). Crew stations are extremely cramped. 4 man crew of course with no bow MG only the remote MG. The vehicle is very small in stature and very short as well. Also ammo storage (6 ready Rds) is a problem as well, especially for ready ammunition which RO does not simulate so it should not be a problem. I would post a pic as well but cant find a way to attach in this forum

PS: this Hetzer is ripe for restoration since it is original and still all intact

Upvote 0
i read that the 60mm frontal armor plate was so heavilly angled that it was as resistant as a vertical 180mm plate. ( tiger has a 100mm frontal plate!)

as you see on reference pictures the hetzers are oftenly covered with bounced shell marks

wow, i haven't actually read any of the armour thickness details yet, that sounds quite impressive for such a small AFV

Upvote 0
well im impressed, for once somone is asking for a tank that isnt an extremely good tank, ie this could be a thread asking for the jagtiger or jagpanther. both of which kicked buts wherever they went.

theres a story i heard from karl stiner from on of his books, a sherman took cover behind a house from a jagtiger; the jagtiger fired through the entire building and took out the sherman behind it. good ol "you can run, but you cant hide!"

Upvote 0
well im impressed, for once somone is asking for a tank that isnt an extremely good tank, ie this could be a thread asking for the jagtiger or jagpanther. both of which kicked buts wherever they went.

lol....thanks colt...i recommended the hetzer because it's not exactly undefeatable, it's a reasonable apponant, but it can also pack quite a punch if (like all tanks in ost) used in the right way

plus it's an unusal AFV that wasn't very rare, as they were available in reasonable numbers in 1944 and its of an interesting origin...the czech LT-38....many AFVs where based on this chassis

Upvote 0