• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Moral Kombat - A Hate Documentary

Last year I wrote an article on Jack Thompson for a grad school class. Doubts about his accuracy were raised by two attorneys in the Miami Herald some 13 and 16 years ago, with the lawyers saying they'd never said anything of the sort of thing that Thompson attributed to them. You don't need to rely on second-hand information to discredit Thompson, though. Here's one of my favorite sections:

Upvote 0
From the other side of the pond:
Boris Johnson slams videogames

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=22031

"The nippers are bleeping and zapping in speechless rapture, their passive faces washed in explosions and gore. They sit for so long that their souls seem to have been ****ed down the cathode ray tube.
"They become like blinking lizards, motionless, absorbed, only the twitching of their hands showing they are still conscious. These machines teach them nothing. They stimulate no ratiocination, discovery or feat of memory."

Upvote 0
"The nippers are bleeping and zapping in speechless rapture, their passive faces washed in explosions and gore. They sit for so long that their souls seem to have been ****ed down the cathode ray tube.
"They become like blinking lizards, motionless, absorbed, only the twitching of their hands showing they are still conscious. These machines teach them nothing. They stimulate no ratiocination, discovery or feat of memory."
That's exactly what my parents say, and its completely wrong.

cathode ray tube.
And that guy should know that all the cool kids use LCD monitors these days :p

Upvote 0
Anyhow any of these idiots can be instantly discredited

Norman Knights charging at the battle of Hastings 1066, as depicted by the Bayeux Tapestery

Look at that, VIOLENCE! im sorry Jack but violence has existed way before computer games, go beat your idiot drum somewhere else. Seriously was he molested by a videogame as a child or something?

Violence has existed as long as mankind has lived on earth. Humans aren't never going to change, banning games doesn't prevent violence, crimes or wars. Violence is in nature and it is inside human nature also, you aren't going to change that no matter what you do.

Upvote 0
that just sounds excellent.

Upvote 0
the guy is a video gaming hator, thats simply it, the columbine shooting was caused afaik by bullying/evolutionist theories. i recal hearing something about how one of the shooters made a comment in a journal about how one of his victims "did not deserve that good of a jaw for a black". now i dont want this to turn political or anaything, all i have to say is that jackies wrong, games are the LAST cause we have to worry about for violence, no computer games, except perhaphs americas army actually teach people how to use some of these weapons. and americas army is played by diehard fans only, not people who are depressed and want to kill people...

Upvote 0
It's like every witch hunt, or pogroms against jews were, the only difference is that ignorance does not result in violence and persecution now.

But the way attributes are adressed to something/someone are the same. Some people who act like they know it teach the people who do not know it. And they do that by cheap methods like using music, pictures, illogical conclusions to create emotions get their message across.

Instead of scientific researching the cause for certain things.
The only problem with that I have is that such opinions are heard, they are presented by the media, while others - even those scientific researchers that have a different conclusion - have no real chance to be heard.

False facts are burned into the brains of the people. Like the school massacre that happened in Germany some years ago. That guy did not like CS, still up to now they write he loved it, instead of questioning why he possesd a weapon or why he did not like the school.

There are studies that say that you are agressive while playing violent games and a few moments later, but those studies do not conclude in saying that being agressive for some time results in a massacre on the next police station or school.

It's allways easier to question certain things you do not know than yourself.
Because afterall it is the society that causes such massacres imo. People who are completely excluded, who have none to talk to, whose warning signs are not seen or ignored. It is that imo.
And that is often the fault imo of the parents, school mates and teachers and not computer games.

Edit: I just read "Criminalizing Kids II" (linked some posts above) and yeah the main problems beside lack of time for your fellow men are lack of common sense and the need to do everything official.
Some decades ago you got a slap in the face (I have nothing against such solutions) or a kick in the ass if you stole something as kid, or if you made a prank. Now everyone is calling for police - making everything worse for the kids - it seems they fear to take responsibilty to solve the problems themselves. They show a lack of communication.
My little brothers and friends of them were constantly ringing at the neighbour's door, instead of shouting to piss off, or going to the parents of the kids the oldest daughter (approx. 24) called the police. At least the police officer understood how ridicolous it is, he still had to come as he was called for. But instead of a punishing he only talked with my mother about the weather and mocked that people call him for such stuff.

All that stuff creates a atmosphere that does not encourage communication, so all the problems that exist allready are intensified.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
20070105.jpg

Just about sums this entire crap-fest up. And by "crap-fest" I am talking about the Documentary.

Upvote 0
It's just this generation's scapegoat. In another 10 years it'll be something else that gets the blame. People never want to take responsibility for their own actions (or lack of) but these days it's an epidemic that's worse than ever and the American legal system is (in my opinion) leading the charge. If people weren't so easily able to get away with blaming anything and anyone other than themselves for their own shortcomings, then society would be better off. Greedy lawyers make a mockery of the "law" and every man and his dog can sue someone else for no good reason. What's worse is that they usually win.

It's a disease and it's spreading. Video games are just the latest in an ever lengthening line of victims. The question is, will it become accepted like everything before it or in this digital age of media beatup and hype, be the first to fall? I doubt it myself. Today's world is run by money and the gaming industry as a whole is now worth so much that I don't see even the combined might of certain politicians in certain countries being able to change things.

Upvote 0
This is probably going to be the stupidest documentary ever witnessed.

You've never seen any of the anti-gun group documentaries, have you? :rolleyes:

These are the same kind of sheeple. "Oh, NO! It's bad, we gotta get rid of it!"

Violence is a vice, not a virtue? Well, not in ALL cultures over all time...

Oh, and WTF is with them implying you can use FPS to train to kill people? You can NOT. I've played tons of FPS, and done a lot of real shooting. Shooting the real deal is a MILLION ways different, even than a realism game like RO:O. Murphy, honestly you don't learn jack about how to use a gun by playing a FPS, even one as detailed as RO:O. Someone who's played only RO and can make 200 yard shots with iron sights in the game would be hard-pressed to put bullet on paper at 1/4 that distance with the real deal. This "it teaches you how to kill" thing is flat-out BS.

These people are misinformed (or worse - stupid) reactionaries. There are people like this working on many fronts to destroy many kinds of personal liberty around the world. They're bent on restricting or eliminating things we take for granted. Liberties we take for granted. They probably believe they're doing the right thing for the right reasons... then again, Hitler probably believed that, too. Remember, too: to these people, the ends ALWAYS justify the means.

It's true. I watched this show called "Madventures" and there they went on an illegal gun range to shoot all kinds of guns. Tokarev pistol, PPSH41, M60 and the list just goes on. Finally they tried a RPG but they didn't shoot a cow.
Are you sure it was an illegal range? I can drive to Las Vegas and shoot stuff like that perfectly legally. Could probably even do an RPG, as long as it wasn't a live round (target practice rounds are legal.)

Tokarev pistol = illegal? :eek:

I'd love to shoot a cow with an RPG. :D Too bad it's illegal on more than one level...

Upvote 0
Are you sure it was an illegal range? I can drive to Las Vegas and shoot stuff like that perfectly legally. Could probably even do an RPG, as long as it wasn't a live round (target practice rounds are legal.)

Tokarev pistol = illegal? :eek:

I'd love to shoot a cow with an RPG. :D Too bad it's illegal on more than one level...

Yes it was. The "madventurers" even said that themselves :p

Upvote 0