• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Can I Have Sniper Please?

King Ragnar

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 7, 2005
Newcastle, UK
RANT/ Just had a morning sessions of RO after a night out and i played sniper on a few maps, and constantly people asking 'can i have sniper please, king ragnar you **** let me be sniper etc' was really doing my tits in these people who think they are awesome and should be sniper alll the time, now i know why i stopped picking that class a while back, and then what made it worse was that some moron started tking me for it and i just left after a while because i just couldnt be bothered:mad:/RANT

so to come to a conclusion lol, is the sniper as holy and prestige as made out to be?

Answer: No, a bolt/semi auto is just as effective

I belive that it was because they were so amazed by your sniping that they wanted to try it too...
share.gif

Upvote 0
Yep. They like it because they see it as easy to rack up a bunch of kills (which is all they're interested in anyway) and because it puts them it relatively less risk.

Personally, I view the sniper as a tool. No more, no less. It's a specific tool, too. Primary targets for snipers should be squad leaders, MGs, and other snipers, and only after that, individual riflemen/assault troops.

When a sniper (to me) is doing a poor job, it's because he's not suppressing the enemy MGs, snipers, or squad leaders. I could give a crap what he does with riflemen.

But as far as people who just say "Can I have the sniper please?", I view that basically as little more than "Can I have a pony for Christmas please?" Sorry, princess. You can't.

As for people TKing you for the sniper position, play on adminned servers and your problems will go away.

Upvote 0
some moron started tking me for it

i totally agree with you, its the worst thing ever, killing a teammate for his weapon. This really kills the fun -..-

But there is one good thing about this. It happend to me on Odessa, i was Russian and we already captured the Apartments and the Square, i ran up to the building where the german sniper and mg usually hides and found there a german semiauto sniper (G34? not sure about the name). I took it and started firing a couple of rounds. Then i ran out of ammo and my first weapon already disappeard :S but a comrade came along saw that i had a SNIPER (omg a sniper!!! w00t) in my hands he started shooting at my hands... i just dropped the weapon for him and took his with the ammo ^^ and ran out of the building. Then the guy was constantly spamming voice commands like "i need ammo" .... :))

Upvote 0
But there is one good thing about this. It happend to me on Odessa, i was Russian and we already captured the Apartments and the Square, i ran up to the building where the german sniper and mg usually hides and found there a german semiauto sniper (G34? not sure about the name). I took it and started firing a couple of rounds. Then i ran out of ammo and my first weapon already disappeard :S but a comrade came along saw that i had a SNIPER (omg a sniper!!! w00t) in my hands he started shooting at my hands... i just dropped the weapon for him and took his with the ammo ^^ and ran out of the building. Then the guy was constantly spamming voice commands like "i need ammo" .... :))

nice one :p

Upvote 0
RANT/ Just had a morning sessions of RO after a night out and i played sniper on a few maps, and constantly people asking 'can i have sniper please, king ragnar you **** let me be sniper etc' was really doing my tits in these people who think they are awesome and should be sniper alll the time, now i know why i stopped picking that class a while back, and then what made it worse was that some moron started tking me for it and i just left after a while because i just couldnt be bothered:mad:/RANT

so to come to a conclusion lol, is the sniper as holy and prestige as made out to be?

Answer: No, a bolt/semi auto is just as effective

Bud, I agree completely.... however, TK'ing to grab a class is going on for other classes as well. Not as bad but still happening.

At this point, its up to server admins and TK limits to take care of the situation.

Upvote 0
Someone TK'ing me for sniper happened to me only once, too bad it was on our server :D

Sniper is overrated, especially in RO where a normal rifle can be just as effective in the right hands. I've seen only a few really good snipers, and most of them are clan players. I remember a cool game in the top floor overlooking the square in Odesssa with [13th]Strigoi. He was the sniper and I'd pick up his rifle when he died, and supply him with ammo, etc. We racked up a lot of kills. That was cool.

But yeah, overrated for the most part.

Upvote 0
If they ask nicely for the sniper, I may drop it for them and allow them to try it out with a 'don't die' warning - giving people the class is too risky as someone usually steals it. I love the rifleman who comes and camps next to the sniper and immediately dives on the weapon when the sniper gets shot.

And quietchoo, I've got a fast comp [if I want to snipe, I can be about 90% sure I'll get the class] but am not a n00b :p You'll usually find me on SMG classes.

On another note, you know you're doing well as a sniper when someone changes team, moves to your spot, bayonets you and then changes back. Happened to me on Odessa whilst keeping the tower clear of any axis. I laughed xD

Upvote 0
Someone TK'ing me for sniper happened to me only once, too bad it was on our server :D

Sniper is overrated, especially in RO where a normal rifle can be just as effective in the right hands. I've seen only a few really good snipers, and most of them are clan players. I remember a cool game in the top floor overlooking the square in Odesssa with [13th]Strigoi. He was the sniper and I'd pick up his rifle when he died, and supply him with ammo, etc. We racked up a lot of kills. That was cool.

But yeah, overrated for the most part.
True! Not to mention your general situational awareness is heavily diminished by the scope.

To each his own I guess but if you stick with RO, chances are you'll evolve into a rifleman.

The way I see things, the natural evolution of an average RO Player from day one till he gets good is as follows:

1. Snipa
2. SMG
3. Semi-SMG
4. bolt
5. getting pissed off going back to SMG
6. Being a man and noticing SMG accuracy is sh!t compared to the rifle.
7. Sticking to the bolt, mastering it
8. Chosing it even if he loads first and enters the servers with a good 8 seconds advance on the others (my case ;)).

:D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I knew this was coming... don't know if it's adressed to my above post.

Usually there's only one sniper, one MG & 4 smgs per side. that leaves 10 riflemen. So talking about the majority, a lot of people will have to play with a rifle wheter they like or not.

There's no real superiority involved just trying to point out, amongst other things, the irony of the most common weapon you're bound to use in the game being one of the hardest to learn.

EDIT: and most of the negative comments made about the sniper class in this thread concern the newbies TKing for it, not the established players who CHOSE it as their favorite.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
6. Being a man and noticing SMG accuracy is sh!t compared to the rifle.
7. Sticking to the bolt, mastering it
8. Chosing it even if he loads first and enters the servers with a good 8 seconds advance on the others (my case ;)).

Athena, so you're saying that you are on 8th position right now? *Looks at 6th* But I thought you were female? Or was I wrong?

Upvote 0
Athena, so you're saying that you are on 8th position right now? *Looks at 6th* But I thought you were female? Or was I wrong?
rofl. The answer: name explanation as posted in the INForcers forums :D
When I started looking for a name. It had to have a link with Greece. I first thought about "AthensWisdom" but I felt it wasn't working after two days.

Then came "AthenaSword" as in Athena's sword, the name sounded nice and had a lot of visual to it, plus all the mythology involving Athena and her actions. About the fact that's it's a feminine name, I thought it was nice because I pretty much considered it like the sailors who name their boats after female's names for good fortune.

The funny part is that I was a Russian Avtomatchik player at that time so I really liked having a long name that was standing out clearly on the upper right corner of my screen so I could see quickly when I was spraying the PPD40 if the kills were made.

After a short while, I didn't like the possible meaning confusion in "AthenaSword" between Athena's word and Athena's sword so I changed it to "AthenaOxCutter". The ox cutter actually being slang for a razor blade.

One month after my RO start, I had the privilege to join the INForcers brotherhood and it got shrinked to "Athena" for length and uniform conviniences.

Upvote 0
I knew this was coming... don't know if it's adressed to my above post.

Usually there's only one sniper, one MG & 4 smgs per side. that leaves 10 riflemen. So talking about the majority, a lot of people will have to play with a rifle wheter they like or not.

There's no real superiority involved just trying to point out, amongst other things, the irony of the most common weapon you're bound to use in the game being one of the hardest to learn.
Athena it was not adressed only at you, it is something that is said by members of this community all the time. And I felt the need to say something, I did not mean to attack you. I meant simply point out that arrogance is not your friend, it will get you nothing except frustration when a real sniper kills you over and over again.;)

Also I would like to say that there is a difference in this game between a player who uses the sniper class when he can get it and a sniper. A real sniper is someone who has really mastered the weapon, someone who has positions plotted across every map to use for every situation possible, it takes more than just using the sniper class to be a real sniper.

Upvote 0